ruggle

Grapevine Canyon+ Sunday Afternoon 3/11

I'm going to do a bit of anza borrego on Sunday afternoon. I'll hit up at least Grapevine Canyon, but beyond that I'm pretty open. I'll start on the trail at either Ranchita or from the Tamarisk Campground on the 78 side. I figure I'll be able to get out of work on Sunday morning and be on the trail around noon. I want to ride until 4 or 5. I'm new to my current DS bike (plated XR400), but I've ridden a few times out this way on my old KLR, so I'm not totally unfamilar with the area.

Anyone have any suggestions for good easy / intermediate dirt routes to take after Grapevine Canyon? I'm cool with just about anything except endless deep sand. I've done it, and I'm not the biggest fan, though I wouldn't mind getting a bit better on it, and I realize it's almost impossible to avoid in the freeking DESERT. I want to avoid the pavement as much as possible. One possible route I'm looking at is starting in Ranchita, Grapevine to 78, 78 to Pinyon Wash/Canyon, Pinyon Canyon to Fish Creek, then return the way I came. I'd rather ride a loop than an out and back, but I'm not sure time would allow me to get all the way down Fish Creek, up to the Fish Creek Primitive Camp and on to Split mtn rd back to the 78 and back to Ranchita via grapevine by 5pm.

If anyone's up for a leisurly ride in the dez this sunday, come on out! Suggestions welcome!

PS. Anyone know a good place to park in/near the Grapevine Canyon trail on the S-22 side?

Russell

Russell,

I suggest parking at Tamarisk Grove CG, west on Grapevine ( expect head on traffic) right and up Jasper TT, right and down Old Cup to Hwy. Reverse track or down to Borrego Sp to connect with Old Borrego Rd to Narrows and pavement back to Tamarisk.

Pinyon Canyon and Squeeze, Drop Fairchild Hill are not places to roll through solo. Most riders would begin a ride not later than 0900.

Have fun.

Bagstr

P10101051000w-L.jpg

You could also add in a little longer loop, from borrego head to borrego sink, cross over to connect to old borrego road....there is some sand north of borrego sink near the dump...not terrible though.....this might be a tough route to find without gps tracks ....even with tracks the many splits up in that area can get confusing....do you have gps?...I could send you tracks...pm me....I'll check the site later today...

I considered a sunday pm ride, but can't be there by noon....so too far to travel that day, so maybe next time...

I suggest parking at Tamarisk Grove CG, west on Grapevine ( expect head on traffic) right and up Jasper TT, right and down Old Cup to Hwy. Reverse track or down to Borrego Sp to commect with Old Borrego Rd to Narrows and pavement back to Tamarisk.

Pinyon Canyon and Squeeze, Drop Fairchild Hill are not places to roll through solo. Most riders would begin a ride not later than 0900.

Have fun.

Thanks for the feedback. This was more or less one of the options I was thinking about. I feel you on heading out so late, it's too bad I have to work Sunday morning, but I've got new (to me) bike syndrome and I'm really itching to hit the trail. Any estimates as to how long you think this loop might take?

You could also add in a little longer loop, from borrego head to borrego sink, cross over to connect to old borrego road....there is some sand north of borrego sink near the dump...not terrible though.....this might be a tough route to find without gps tracks ....even with tracks the many splits up in that area can get confusing....do you have gps?...I could send you tracks...pm me....I'll check the site later today...

I considered a sunday pm ride, but can't be there by noon....so too far to travel that day, so maybe next time...

hey borrego sink is something I wasn't thinking about, maybe I'll give that a try. The map I've got shows it starting just east of borrego springs and ending up at benson dry lake. Does this sound about right? I do ride with a GPS. I'll pm you...

I am looking to ride on Sunday. I am pretty much a noob, so do you think I can handle the ride?

I am looking to ride on Sunday. I am pretty much a noob, so do you think I can handle the ride?

Hmm, well I can't really speak to the difficulty of the terrain as it's been a couple of years since I was last out there. If I remember correctly, it's pretty mellow. However, I can say that I generally tend to ride at a pretty slow pace. It's more like two wheel hiking for me than an attempt to get from one place to another as fast as possible.

If you choose to loop back through the Narrows to Tamarisk CG and want more miles, try Pinyon Wash and Mine Wash. Both there and back routes.