X-country-Rider

Big Bike ride and camping trip May 5th and 6th

Ok everyone. 5 gallons of liquid goodness in the fermenter. Wife said she will probably drive my truck out, thus easing the whole transportation issue.

IMAG0049-L.jpg

Your the man home brew around the campfire after a day of riding does it get any better? I wIll have to get a Henry's root beer for Dakota :) I still have the gear for you by the way. Are you going to let us donate a few bucks to the beer supply fund?

Ok everyone. 5 gallons of liquid goodness in the fermenter. Wife said she will probably drive my truck out, thus easing the whole transportation issue.

IMAG0049-L.jpg

Your the man home brew around the campfire after a day of riding does it get any better? I wIll have to get a Henry's root beer for Dakota :) I still have the gear for you by the way. Are you going to let us donate a few bucks to the beer supply fund?

Donations graciously accepted but not required. We'll have to coordinate our schedules for me to p/u the gear. Next few weekends are pretty booked. Maybe after that. Thanks agian!!

The ride logo would make a cool label :)

Hmmm actually it would. Let me see how much labels would be.

I've signed up for the weekend. I'd just like to know your recommendation as to which trails are sandy. I'm a new rider and admittedly lack the experience to enjoy the sandy trails on a big bike. I see the colored map, but can't tell which ones are sandy. The Grapevine almost hung me last time. It would probably be smart to bypass the difficult trails given my level of experience, my R1150GS, and the Tourances I'm running.

I've signed up for the weekend. I'd just like to know your recommendation as to which trails are sandy. I'm a new rider and admittedly lack the experience to enjoy the sandy trails on a big bike. I see the colored map, but can't tell which ones are sandy. The Grapevine almost hung me last time. It would probably be smart to bypass the difficult trails given my level of experience, my R1150GS, and the Tourances I'm running.

Hello again i think if you get a set of more dirt friendly tires you'll find that it will be a bit easier. Yes Grape vine and probably BEE Canyon at the last stage but i'm not sure since i have not yet ridden it.

I recommend that you check out the Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs and find a place to practice some of the drills. I usually go to the Torrey Pines glider port to practice my turns. There's also a good little area at the west end of Lake Sutherland where you're not going to bother anyone.

Your apprehension towards riding in sand is totally natural, just get a little more time in the saddle under controlled conditions and you'll be fine. You can also bypass these trails and hit the easier stuff with us.

I see the colored map, but can't tell which ones are sandy.

I'd also recommend that newish riders bypass Santa Isabel Truck Trail and stay on Magnolia/Black Canyon (for now)......it's not sandy but it's got some good size water bars and few rough spots that could give newish riders on big bikes some issues....

X-Country - You might want to consider numbering the tracks on DSM in the order they'll be ridden......some can have bypass options (like Magnolia vs. Santa Isabel)....right now they're alphabetical and folks who don't know the area will have no clue which tracks to highlight/look at in advance.....

just my $.02

I see the colored map, but can't tell which ones are sandy.

I'd also recommend that newish riders bypass Santa Isabel Truck Trail and stay on Magnolia/Black Canyon (for now)......it's not sandy but it's got some good size water bars and few rough spots that could give newish riders on big bikes some issues....

X-Country - You might want to consider numbering the tracks on DSM in the order they'll be ridden......some can have bypass options (like Magnolia vs. Santa Isabel)....right now they're alphabetical and folks who don't know the area will have no clue which tracks to highlight/look at in advance.....

just my $.02

Thanks good advice.

Understand your apprehension completely. Took me a couple of years on my 530 in Ocotillo to get used to the bike moving around on me. As was already said here, proper tires will help a lot. Other than that it is all experience, and the only way you are going to get that is by doing it. Of course ride your own ride and if you don't feel up to it then don't do it. This ride is not a race and we are all hear to help each other get better. You included.

Best advice I got in the sand and can give you is, keep your front end up and floating instead of plowing, get your weight back on that rear wheel and let the bike move around under you. Yes it is disconcerting but once you trust those two giant centrifuges under you to keep the bike balanced you relax and enjoy it and the faster you will find yourself going.

And yea I know, easier said than done. BTDT.

Great advice on this board. I will try some drills at the glider port parking lot first. Better get a good technique to pick up the bike. I'll try to save up for some more aggressive rubber too. I can't believe how friggin expensive motorcycle tires are especially given their short wear life compared to car tires. Guess as long as guys are willing to pay for it. I'll probably bypass the most difficult trails for now, so I will meet you guys on the other side of Santa Isabel TT, Bee Canyon, and Grape vine.

Great advice on this board. I will try some drills at the glider port parking lot first. Better get a good technique to pick up the bike. I'll try to save up for some more aggressive rubber too. I can't believe how friggin expensive motorcycle tires are especially given their short wear life compared to car tires. Guess as long as guys are willing to pay for it. I'll probably bypass the most difficult trails for now, so I will meet you guys on the other side of Santa Isabel TT, Bee Canyon, and Grape vine.

I like Full Bore M40/41's they are a good all around tire and only cost me $158 a set for my Tiger 800XC.

I don't get the deal with Santa Ysabel truck trail.

My son had never ridden a bike before

..noob. Once he learned the clutch concept our first ride was up SYTT with mud and large puddles. He did just fine on a klr650 with streetish tires.

We will be going the easy way...slight downhill and it will be dry. Other than Black Canyon dirt slab this will be the easiest dirt ride of the trip. You can adjust your speed to your skill level. No need to pin it to make it on this trail.

I think all bikes/riders can run this part.

I don't get the deal with Santa Ysabel truck trail.

My son had never ridden a bike before

..noob. Once he learned the clutch concept our first ride was up SYTT with mud and large puddles. He did just fine on a klr650 with streetish tires.

We will be going the easy way...slight downhill and it will be dry. Other than Black Canyon dirt slab this will be the easiest dirt ride of the trip. You can adjust your speed to your skill level. No need to pin it to make it on this trail.

Agreed. Completely.

I rode this trail numerous times on my r1100r with street tires and no dirt experience. SYTT is a great trail!

Agreed. Completely.

I rode this trail numerous times on my r1100r with street tires and no dirt experience. SYTT is a great trail!

Absolutely

We should start talking about pre running some of the sections in the weekend ends to come. I want to explore Palomar Divide TT and BEE before the ride if possible.

just my $.02

I numbered the sections on the dualsportmaps.com map.

Palomar divide and bee canyon are both fine on big bikes, as long as the rider has been in the dirt before, and yes knobby tires are preferred. Not overloading the bike with gear will also help.

We should start talking about pre running some of the sections in the weekend ends to come. I want to explore Palomar Divide TT and BEE before the ride if possible.

I'll join you for this if time allows.

I'd like to ride these also.

I have ridden PDTT and it is an easy jeep trail..in between Black Canyon and SYTT in difficulty - good for all.

Palomar divide and bee canyon are both fine on big bikes, as long as the rider has been in the dirt before, and yes knobby tires are preferred. Not overloading the bike with gear will also help.

I'd say fine on big bikes like a GS or 950, IF the rider is more than a novice off-road on big bikes. For someone without much experience on a big bike, it could get a bit tough for them in spots, just due to loose rocks, ruts and some soft sand areas.

I like to ride these also.

I have ridden PDTT and it is an easy jeep trail..in between Black Canyon and SYTT in difficulty - good for all.

If someones not comfortable they can always go around via Black Canyon Rd. Not a big deal. That option is on the map.

I'll join you for this if time allows.

Sounds good Scott i don't have a date but I'd like to meet up in Ramona and ride Santa Ysabel TT and then head out to Palomar Divide TT and then head over to Anza and Rouse Hill Rd and then maybe Bee Canyon. I haven't done any of these trails so I'm excited to check them out.

I'd like to tag along as well...