Sign in to follow this  
Metal Twister

May 26th 2007 Ramona Rumble

Today we had a great time picking our way around the inland north county. Crawdaddy had the route all dialed in, with the gas stops clocked perfectly. :bomb: Im not exactly sure where all we went? But I do know that it was a lot of fun and SDAR has alot of quality members. I got to ride today with a very cool group of guys! I will let someone else describe the ride. I just wanted to post some pics ASAP. Thanks Crawdaddy for the last minute invite. I cant think of a better way to start a 3 day Memorial weekend. It was a pleasure meeting everybody and being able to put an avatar with a face. I even met Schwinn for the second time, the first time was about 30 some years ago. Back then, he was the neighbor hood wide eyed kid, watching us do wheelies up and down the street, all the while keeping the mini bike rev'en and ready. Its cool to watch him go through the gears on his rear wheel now! Thanks Steve! Look foward to riding with you guys again soon.

FYI---Little Stevie is the one in the 5th pic under the stop sign with the orange jersey waving. :D:P:D:D

The meet point at 7:35 AM (Packards, 7th & Main St., Ramona Ca.)

CIMG0001-1.jpg

Our first stop to gather up the riders below Lake Southerland

CIMG0002.jpg

CIMG0003.jpg

Refueled and ready to pull out of Santa Ysabels gas station.

CIMG0004.jpg

CIMG0005.jpg

Welch with the Iron Man title for the day. (He wanted to ride, real bad!)

CIMG0006.jpg

CIMG0007.jpg

CIMG0008.jpg

CIMG0009.jpg

CIMG0010.jpg

CIMG0011.jpg

CIMG0012.jpg

CIMG0013.jpg

CIMG0014.jpg

CIMG0015.jpg

CIMG0016.jpg

we all met up again at the base of Oriflame Cyn. Rd. with an additional rider, Paul joined in the fun.

CIMG0017.jpg

Lake Henshaw's "Hideway" for refreshments and lunch

CIMG0018.jpg

The KTM has the knobs worn off..

Must've been a fun ride

Yeah, that tire was the talk of the day. When we started that was a brand new Tera fkex. :D:D :bomb: He did really good on it, I think he had one slide down in the deep sand at the foot of Oriflame rd. He gets my Iron man vote for the day.

The KTM has the knobs worn off..

Must've been a fun ride

Yeah, that tire was the talk of the day. When we started that was a brand new Tera fkex. :D:D :bomb: He did really good on it, I think he had one slide down in the deep sand at the foot of Oriflame rd. He gets my Iron man vote for the day.

i second that it! was a great ride for me knocked alot of rust off and finally got to ride with all you great riders. all i could think of when the sand was swallowing my front end was wow how is he getting through with those slicks definatly IRONMAN award worthy.

I will let someone else describe the ride. I just wanted to post some pics ASAP.

I wanted to post some pics too! It was fun riding with you guys for part of the trip. I went down to Chariot Canyon around 9am and picked around for a while while waiting for the group.

This is looking up Banner toward Julianmay2007115.jpg

Scouting out mines and overgrown trails

th_may2007117.jpg

th_may2007121.jpg

th_may2007123.jpg

Around 9:30 a group of 10 riders approached - must be SDAR!!!

may2007128.jpg

may2007126.jpg

may2007127.jpg

The only other pic I took was at the bottom of Oriflamme

may2007129.jpg

After that we had a good run up Grapevine and Jasper. I had to break off and get home so I went back down Jasper while the rest of the group went on. Nice riding with Pyro again. Sorry I did not get a chance to hangout with you guys more. Hope Schwinn gave you the VIP table at the Hideout.

Nice riding and meeting a bunch of you today. Hats off to a great group. :D I sent Crawdaddy a GPS track so maybe he can overlay that on the map and show us where we went.

Hope to see you all again on the trails!!

/Fred

Awesome Ride !!! Thanks Crawdaddy for leading us on a great one! It was nice to meet and ride with all you guys. We had a great group of quality riders out there today on some awesome dirt-kickin motorcycles. It was a rare event to start the ride with not 1, not 2, but 3 KLRs in the group. That was pretty cool ! Where were you KAWI-ZOOWIE ?? :bomb: The bulk of todays group were riding some kick-ass KTMs. These guys were ready for action, including a sweet brand new 950 Adventure and cool Supermoto rig. They were kickin up dust like there was no tomorrow! To round off the line-up we had an awesome DR650 and a beasty BRP (XR650). Add in the fabulous weather and a bitchen route and WHAMMO, EPIC ADVENTURE ! Now for some pics:

crawdaddy.jpg

Crawdaddy-The Man With The Plan

bridge.jpg

First Stop at The Bridge

lake1.jpg

lake2.jpg

lake3.jpg

Riding By The Lake

Water.jpg

water1.jpg

water2.jpg

Water Crossing

Paul.jpg

Special Guest Star - Great to see you again Paul !

T_Mug1.jpg

Self Portrait after Eating Some Tastey KTM_950 Trail Dust

Group1.jpg

950_Adventure.jpg

first_Scratch.jpg

Opps, First Scratch

KLR.jpg

Ironman admiring a good looking bike!

street2.jpg

Gotta Ride Some Street to Get To More Dirt

ridge1.jpg

Sophisticated Navigation System in Use

trail.jpg

schwinn.jpg

Schwinn gives it Two Thumbs Up! :D

T_mug2.jpg

Excellent! Thanks again to everyone for another great SDAR ride!

Until next time,

Ride On Amigos . . .

Oh yeah - only in the low 90s in the desert! That was a treat for this time of year.

again great ride and i discovered a few extra muscles in my back and shoulders (but thats how you know it was a great ride right) boy that little puddle was refreshing i put down about 200 miles on yesterday from door to door 114 on the ride 85 getting there of course i got lost in poway on the way back to PB. my kids are going to wash the bike today. i swear i have the best family wife lets me out of a birthday party to ride, rubbed my back last night and now the kids are going to wash my bike it doesnt get better does it.

Glad everyone had a good time yesterday......it was nice to meet a few new folks and put the new (used) 520 through the paces......Daddy's pleased with his new (used) ride? :D ......bummer about the hydraulic clutch on my other KTM, sorry Sean......will get that refilled/bled sometime this weekend....

Glad I laid out the ride on the GPS because even with our shift in ride route mid course I had to go to reserve on the the last leg into Ramona......~90 miles between gas stops.......guess my range is about ~100 miles....

See ya'll back out there again NOT soon enough ;)

Later,

Chris

Guys, that was a fun ride. We're gonna have to do this again. I'll post a Mexico day ride in a few weeks for all those interested.

Morgan

I had a blast riding with you guys!! Thanks to all that led the way and took the excellent photos!! I can't wait to go out again. Now I need to work on those controlled slides. ;)

WOW, what a great weekend for SDAR, looks like our group had a great time in arrowhead as did our group in our local mtns and desserts, and i found out that metal twister is a old friend of my families being born and raised in jamul I used to watch the older kids do wheelies sitting on my minibke knowing when i got older my dad would buy me a bigger bike,Metal twister AKA Bob Engle was 1 of those older kids i would watch.A few years later me and my brother started racing Dehesa and 4 corners, you know whats funny is he is still a thrill to watch ride. We were taking turns leading each other thru out the day, he is still a fast and fun rider with care for all riders that were with us all day.Great memories.

I just got approved to post, otherwise I would have done so sooner.

I was the guy on the Supermoto bike. I just wanted to drop a line and tell all you guys I had a great time on my first ride with people from this group. Great group of people, thanks a bunch.

I'm glad I didn't hold people up too much, although I felt bad when people waited after dumping it in the sand and having to kick-start in full leathers in 90 degree heat. Other than that, I thought the ride was a lot of fun - and even visiting the Hideout for the first time.

Thanks again guys, hopefully I'll see you soon,

Eric

I just got approved to post, otherwise I would have done so sooner.

I was the guy on the Supermoto bike. I just wanted to drop a line and tell all you guys I had a great time on my first ride with people from this group. Great group of people, thanks a bunch.

I'm glad I didn't hold people up too much, although I felt bad when people waited after dumping it in the sand and having to kick-start in full leathers in 90 degree heat. Other than that, I thought the ride was a lot of fun - and even visiting the Hideout for the first time.

Thanks again guys, hopefully I'll see you soon,

Eric

Do you mean this one?

CIMG0016.jpg

Great you could join us Eric. I must admit I had my doubts after seeing you pull up with that tire on your bike. I will never doubt you again, great job! see ya soon