X-country-Rider

San Diego County Back Country Adventure Route

Roger, Thanks any idea of what we could do once we dropped down to Borrego Springs? Any tracks that are doable when weighted down with gear?

I would actually just continue down S-22 and hang a right onto Culp, come up the hill to Jasper, and down to Grapevine. Just extends the route a bit but keeps it in line with what you had setup initially.

If you're interested in a new route for next year I'm sure we could come up with something that could be done on big bikes. We could bend Crawdaddy's or Bagstr's ear about that as well.

X-country, looks like you put on a good ride. Im glad to see some of the LA crew come down. I rode in Joel's DV Noob Rally last year and it was a blast. Start a ride report with more pics so we can see the action!

From grapevine and the 78 you can climb north til there is a split on the right to go up jasper to then right onto culp valley and S22 or stay straight and go towards Ranchita and subsuquently S22. Jasper has a few steep climbs and one obstacle but there is a road around it. I feel that its less difficult than Oriflame. If you ever want to ride out that way or do the ramona to desert loop post up and my friend and I will join.

Also, the road to fonts point is an option once in Borrego Springs. Its worth the ride for the view. Strega, whats the dirt road which parallels S22 east of the airport just after the bend back east (if that makes sense)?

X-country, looks like you put on a good ride. Im glad to see some of the LA crew come down. I rode in Joel's DV Noob Rally last year and it was a blast. Start a ride report with more pics so we can see the action!

From grapevine and the 78 you can climb north til there is a split on the right to go up jasper to then right onto culp valley and S22 or stay straight and go towards Ranchita and subsuquently S22. Jasper has a few steep climbs and one obstacle but there is a road around it. I feel that its less difficult than Oriflame. If you ever want to ride out that way or do the ramona to desert loop post up and my friend and I will join.

Also, the road to fonts point is an option once in Borrego Springs. Its worth the ride for the view. Strega, whats the dirt road which parallels S22 east of the airport just after the bend back east (if that makes sense)?

Is that doable on a GSA 1200 and a KTM 990 with camping gear packed on? The route needs to be easy enough that most riders can do it with packed bikes. I did oriflamme on my packed Tiger 800XC but it was definitely more difficult than just riding up and down as usual. I was also two up but my boy got off in the nasty sections and walked/ran ahead.

Roger, Thanks any idea of what we could do once we dropped down to Borrego Springs? Any tracks that are doable when weighted down with gear?

I would actually just continue down S-22 and hang a right onto Culp, come up the hill to Jasper, and down to Grapevine. Just extends the route a bit but keeps it in line with what you had setup initially.

If you're interested in a new route for next year I'm sure we could come up with something that could be done on big bikes. We could bend Crawdaddy's or Bagstr's ear about that as well.

Roger,

Here are my thoughts.. We keep the route we just rode the same because it was designed from the beginning as a mid-size adv route and its good for that. Instead we create a completely separate ride for the fall/OCT that has some of the same stuff but cuts out the south of the 8 section and instead of taking a left at Santa Ysabel to Ranchita we go up to Wynola head south on Pine Hills/Eagle Peak/Boulder Creek for the first day and then loops back to Julian via Pine Creek RD/Mt Laguna from Pine Valley and then head down Banner to Butterfield.

On day two we ride Blair Valley and then from the bottom we head up Grape Vine to Culp and then Jasper and then head to Borrego Springs for lunch. Where to go from there i don't know. Would like this new route to be completely big bike doable but still a little challenging. So nothing that's not realistic for something like a packed GSA. So we redo the San Diego Back Country Adventure route next Feb but do a new ride that's designed from the bottom up for big bikes in October. We try and end the new route somewhere in North County or south OC. What do you think?

That was a great time. Well, except for the rainy ride up Banner and Wynola into Julian when my shield was so fogged I had no idea wtf I was riding into. :wacko:

I got your opinion about that on the gopro at the stop sign :heh:

I'm sure blake will put it in the compalation video :lol:

Oh and I guess I can't ride with you guys anymore. I'm not in the right zip code and I post...over there. :rolleyes:

That was a great time. Well, except for the rainy ride up Banner and Wynola into Julian when my shield was so fogged I had no idea wtf I was riding into. :wacko:

Oh and I guess I can't ride with you guys anymore. I'm not in the right zip code and I post...over there. :rolleyes:

This is what i think about the zip code comment.... Seriously :angry2:

summers-eve-douche.jpg

douche_bottles_for_women.jpg

Not what I'd think of as a camelback, but to each their own.

The "zip code comment" was supposed to be humorous.

tough crowd. bigeyed.png

summers-eve-douche.jpg

Oh what a difference two days make - here is Main St in Julian this morning

snow1.jpg

Snow2.jpg

summers-eve-douche.jpg

If you mean mine, fair enough. I'm a known smartass and will respond as such to inflametory comments from time to time.

If you mean the orginal, I agree.

Sorry for adding to the hijack. Back to our orginally scheduled program...

If you mean mine, fair enough. I'm a known smartass and will respond as such to inflametory comments from time to time.

You??? The other comment but forget that lets talk about a new route for this fall. I shouldn't let stupid crap like that piss me off.

The "zip code comment" was supposed to be humorous.

tough crowd.

No worries from me. I think we all meet a bunch of people this weekend that got along really well, and well, that's what you just ran into unknowingly.

I'll ride with you anytime, anywhere, and even kill a few brain cells with you. :drinks::friends:

You??? The other comment but forget that lets talk about a new route for this fall. I shouldn't let stupid crap like that piss me off.

Just clarifying. Text can always come across in an unintended way just making sure.

Yes, about this fall route.... :dance2::smile_anim::thumbsup_anim:

The great thing about a fall ride is that Cedar Creek Rd is ungated at the end of Eagle Peak Rd at the Cedar Falls Parking area and then connects to Boulder creek. This is a fun little section and is big bike doable but is a slower narrow rd. They ungate it for hunting season. I just don't know which way to go once in Borrego Springs...

The great thing about a fall ride is that Cedar Creek Rd is ungated at the end of Eagle Peak Rd at the Cedar Falls Parking area and then connects to Boulder creek. This is a fun little section and is big bike doable but is a slower narrow rd. They ungate it for hunting season. I just don't know which way to go once in Borrego Springs...

Not sure myself. If I was closer we could go explore it. What's the worst that could happen? :lol:

Uh oh, what did I say? :blush: I was really wishing I had kept my Pinlock in the visor instead of taking it out. :(

My only regret was that Grapevine Canyon wasn't longer. I was having a blast there!

If you continue through Ranchita down S-22 to HERE, you can can hang a right and go up Culp, Jasper, and also do Grapevine.

I've separated those 3 trails on DualSportMaps and you van view them here:

http://www.dualsportmaps.com/?link=102502

Enjoy!

Maybe I'm confused. :wacko: What was the last dirt section we did before heading to the campground? I'm referring to the one that had the short rocky uphill that was fun and then a little bit of sand where a few people got sideways and almost went down (Dan Diego I'm talking about you!). Was that Grapevine or something else?

Maybe I'm confused. :wacko: What was the last dirt section we did before heading to the campground? I'm referring to the one that had the short rocky uphill that was fun and then a little bit of sand where a few people got sideways and almost went down (Dan Diego I'm talking about you!). Was that Grapevine or something else?

Blair Valley

No your right, our group did not do Blair valley after Grapevine. We went straight for the booze.

Thanks to X country and bdarling for getting this group together it was a blast. I enjoyed riding and talking motto's with everyone out there. X country and bdarling might of been some of the bravest ones out there, X country rode two up with a truck full of gear bdarling rode street tires and carried a pink flask. Good group all around.

Uh oh, what did I say? :blush: I was really wishing I had kept my Pinlock in the visor instead of taking it out. :(

you pulled up and said "THAT WAS FREAKING MISERABLE!!!!" or something close to that :lol:

Roger,

Here are my thoughts.. We keep the route we just rode the same because it was designed from the beginning as a mid-size adv route and its good for that. Instead we create a completely separate ride for the fall/OCT that has some of the same stuff but cuts out the south of the 8 section and instead of taking a left at Santa Ysabel to Ranchita we go up to Wynola head south on Pine Hills/Eagle Peak/Boulder Creek for the first day and then loops back to Julian via Pine Creek RD/Mt Laguna from Pine Valley and then head down Banner to Butterfield.

On day two we ride Blair Valley and then from the bottom we head up Grape Vine to Culp and then Jasper and then head to Borrego Springs for lunch. Where to go from there i don't know. Would like this new route to be completely big bike doable but still a little challenging. So nothing that's not realistic for something like a packed GSA. So we redo the San Diego Back Country Adventure route next Feb but do a new ride that's designed from the bottom up for big bikes in October. We try and end the new route somewhere in North County or south OC. What do you think?

There's a section of trails that I have been wanting to try out north of the area we rode last weekend. Based on reports from Rider914, it sounds like it is very big bike-able. Perhaps this would be a good way to make our way north.

http://g.co/maps/x2pty

My route stops at my aunt's house, but there's a pretty good network of trails beyond my route.

-Blake

There's a section of trails that I have been wanting to try out north of the area we rode last weekend. Based on reports from Rider914, it sounds like it is very big bike-able. Perhaps this would be a good way to make our way north.

My route stops at my aunt's house, but there's a pretty good network of trails beyond my route.

-Blake

They've cleaned up /scraped the California Riding/Hiking trail, so it's definitely big bike doable. There used to be a interesting hill climb, but it's now just a graded slope. Some rocky areas, but nothing like Oriflame.

Roger,

-Blake

So once we go up Grape Vine, Culp and Jasper we go left on Montezuma valley rd and then out to Warner Springs and then out puerta la cruz truck trail. What do you want to call this new route?

Stagecoach to Anza...and beyond.

Maybe we stop near Idyllwild.

I like that idea. Loved the ride through Anza and would love to do more. Ridden in Idyllwild once a few years ago on the small bike. Would be interested in seeing what other riding is there.