X-country-Rider

San Diego County Back Country Adventure Route

That really was a great trip, and probably my best ride so far. Really great to meet some people from here, and props to Craig and Blake for organizing this. Unfortunately Craig, I didn't get your sand-wash slip-n-slide on video. My other pics look good so far and once a ride report is up, I'll post them there.

To bad. I look forward to seeing the other shots you got!!

I had an absolute blast with everyone. I think another overnighter is in order soon! Perhaps Joshua Tree...

So was that the 'Innagural San Diego Back Country Bonanza'???

I feel a t-shirt design idea coming on...

I had an absolute blast with everyone. I think another overnighter is in order soon! Perhaps Joshua Tree...

Or Johnson valley....

I like the idea of some t-shirts.

Personally I like San Diego Back Country Twister for a name. It plays on two words that describe this event for me. The twisties that we all enjoyed, we all seem a little bit twisted, and it really is a "Mixer" so to speak.

I could just be completely off my rocker too so... :wacko:

Just spoke to Gordon at Butterfield (confirming info on the cabin for the Dash.) He said it was PRETTY chilly for that group of tenters on Saturday night.

It is stupid cold and windy at Butterfield Right now.

I like the idea of some t-shirts.

Personally I like San Diego Back Country Twister for a name. It plays on two words that describe this event for me. The twisties that we all enjoyed, we all seem a little bit twisted, and it really is a "Mixer" so to speak.

I could just be completely off my rocker too so... :wacko:

Since it was a bit chilly....how about "San Diego Backcountry Ride" or SDBR

Just spoke to Gordon at Butterfield (confirming info on the cabin for the Dash.) He said it was PRETTY chilly for that group of tenters on Saturday night.

It is stupid cold and windy at Butterfield Right now.

huh. I was pretty cozy in my sleeping bag. Morning didn't seem to bad either. The wind pretty much sucked though. So much so that the tree I setup close to threw one of it's branches at my tent in the middle of the night.

San Diego Big Bike Bonanza

San Diego Big Bike Challenge

San Diego Big Pig Drive... :)

Thanks Craig, Blake.. great talking with you guys I met and talked with.

Looking forward to next year.

how much for the t-shirt Strega?

I was really pleased with the big turn out for this ride. I learned a couple things one there's a need for local ADV camp rides. This route was designed for mid sized bikes but we had a bunch of big bikes like 1150 GS's, 1100GS's and one 1200GS. These bikes are really not designed for Oriflamme. When wieghted down its a real pucker rd. The big bikes opted out out of that section. We also had a big turn out from our OC and LA inmates and these guys don't really want to end so far south at the border.

I think we should rethink the route and do a fall big bike weekend camp out that cuts out Oriflamme and ends north to make it friendly for both the SD and OC riders. I think the starting location was perfect but would also like to end north as well. I'm thinking 76 to Nate Harrison Grade them down Palomar to Lake Henshaw and then out Otay Mesa Rd to Black Canyon like last time. From there up to Wynola and then a right on Pine Hills Rd to out Eagle Peak Rd to Boulder Creek Rd down to Descanso then out to Pine Valley and up Pine Creek Rd to Mt. Laguna and from there to Julian and down Banner to camp again at Butterfield. In the morning Blair valley and then up Grape Vine but this time go right up Jasper truck trail and then out down the twisties to Borrego Springs for lunch. From Borrego Springs i don't know. Ideas? I'm thinking October time frame what do you guys think?

Oriflamme is to nasty for the big bikes (for most riders)

426463_10150595201009520_693814519_8864710_982986167_n.jpg

Oriflamme is to nasty for the big bikes (for most riders)Qoute......

Oriflame is the 1st trail on Saturday for the desert Dash LOL..Last year it was pouring rain at the bottom and about 2 feet deep in the creek and at 1 point the creek is the trail for about a mile. At the middle was hailing and the top was snowing. Sunday was cold and calm with fresh snow all thru pinion.

Here is me all snug and warm wearing rain gear and full gear with the Go-Pro going and my Pink TuTu at 1st creek crossing of Oriflame on my KTM 690.

desertdashPinkTuTu.jpg

Some riders on Pinion Trail early Sunday morning riding the fresh snow. Thats Oriflame Mountain behind them.

P1000534.jpg

Throw sticks at me, but WHY create more ADV(rider) anything rides "and [worry] about 'our' OC and LA inmates." That sure sounds like an advrider babble.

I post on SDAR because I want to interact with local riders and ride local roads. I like the people here and don't expect the same amount of trash and idiocy I saw over there.

As I read somewhere recently, this is not advrider-lite.

Want to create more camping riders? Fantastic! Want to go further north? Great! There are plenty of midsize and behemoth riders on this site that would probably like to do that.

Or post it on ADV and if you don't get banned again, I'm sure you'll have a blast.

Eddie I think type of post is what people dont want- Adv lite. Southern CA is all local and we share each others trails constantly. People should never be discouraged to post a Local or even somewhat local ride if our members would be interested. It seems that there were many new faces that went on that ride and were introduced to our hospitality and support. I would like to see more of these rides and want to know when and where they will take place.

Maybe we can set up a ride that starts down here and ends up in Big Bear camping. Then back home. Many people could join in from different Northern locations. We can have some more technical options (not black diamond) for those with big bikes that want more than a fire road.

I am glad everyone had a good ride and hope to see more in the future. Good work!

I live in San Diego city limits, hope that’s close enough to the mountains and desert to be considered local.

I play in the other house, hope I’m welcome to play in this one too.

I think there’s enough room in this county to entertain guests from outside.

My pig weighs about 400lbs but it’s what I have for off-pavement at this time.

Sure had fun last weekend, down to my freezing fingertips, and the old bike ran great.

I’ve hiked through much of this county but rode through areas I hadn’t explored before.

If you're not actually in the zip code 92101-92115....

Holy crap, did I put my foot in my mouth yet again?

I live in San Diego city limits, hope that's close enough to the mountains and desert to be considered local.

I play in the other house, hope I'm welcome to play in this one too.

I think there's enough room in this county to entertain guests from outside.

My pig weighs about 400lbs but it's what I have for off-pavement at this time.

Sure had fun last weekend, down to my freezing fingertips, and the old bike ran great.

I've hiked through much of this county but rode through areas I hadn't explored before.

That was a great time. Well, except for the rainy ride up Banner and Wynola into Julian when my shield was so fogged I had no idea wtf I was riding into. :wacko:

Thanks again Craig and Blake for organizing the ride. I really enjoyed checking out some new trails to ride the GS on. I've done Oriflame on the XR and had no desire to try that on the GS, especially since it looked like it was going to be wet. :( My only regret was that Grapevine Canyon wasn't longer. I was having a blast there!

So when's the next ride??

My only regret was that Grapevine Canyon wasn't longer. I was having a blast there!

If you continue through Ranchita down S-22 to HERE, you can can hang a right and go up Culp, Jasper, and also do Grapevine.

I've separated those 3 trails on DualSportMaps and you van view them here:

http://www.dualsportmaps.com/?link=102502

Enjoy!

If you're not actually in the zip code 92101-92115....

Holy crap, did I put my foot in my mouth yet again?

Yuuuuup! I guess Ramona and backcounty is out.....too bad I met a bunch of good guys from this site on that ride...well I met some guys....well I went for a ride....

All kidding aside - thanks for that link Strega, I want to learn more desert trails. Seems I spent most of my dirt bike years on the tracks not the trails.

Oriflamme is to nasty for the big bikes (for most riders)Qoute......

Oriflame is the 1st trail on Saturday for the desert Dash LOL..Last year it was pouring rain at the bottom and about 2 feet deep in the creek and at 1 point the creek is the trail for about a mile. At the middle was hailing and the top was snowing. Sunday was cold and calm with fresh snow all thru pinion.

Here is me all snug and warm wearing rain gear and full gear with the Go-Pro going and my Pink TuTu at 1st creek crossing of Oriflame on my KTM 690.

desertdashPinkTuTu.jpg

Some riders on Pinion Trail early Sunday morning riding the fresh snow. Thats Oriflame Mountain behind them.

P1000534.jpg

Now do that weighted down with camping gear on a big bike <_<

My only regret was that Grapevine Canyon wasn't longer. I was having a blast there!

If you continue through Ranchita down S-22 to HERE, you can can hang a right and go up Culp, Jasper, and also do Grapevine.

I've separated those 3 trails on DualSportMaps and you van view them here:

http://www.dualsportmaps.com/?link=102502

Enjoy!

Roger, Thanks any idea of what we could do once we dropped down to Borrego Springs? Any tracks that are doable when weighted down with gear?