X-country-Rider

San Diego County Back Country Adventure Route

I'm losing track of what has transpired on each site, but everyone should plan to bring some form of nourishment for the campsite on Saturday. Several of us will have the means to heat up water, so if you're really packing light, you just need a boil-in-bag of your own. I personally love taking my time and eating breakfast at camp, but if the masses want to roll out first thing, I'm game for that as well.

Craig,

I'm still assuming that you're driving this demented wagon train, any comments on the route as we approach D-Day? I'm really looking forward to the Warner Springs-to-Scissors section.

-Blake

I'm losing track of what has transpired on each site, but everyone should plan to bring some form of nourishment for the campsite on Saturday. Several of us will have the means to heat up water, so if you're really packing light, you just need a boil-in-bag of your own. I personally love taking my time and eating breakfast at camp, but if the masses want to roll out first thing, I'm game for that as well.

Craig,

I'm still assuming that you're driving this demented wagon train, any comments on the route as we approach D-Day? I'm really looking forward to the Warner Springs-to-Scissors section.

-Blake

Blake,

I think we can see if anyone else wants to drive the train on Saturday morning. I don't like to ride to fast and think some of the more enduro style bikes will want to go faster on the dirt so i don't necessarily want to hold others up with my pace. I'm glad to go take the lead but I'm also happy if a faster rider that's familiar with the route wants to take that if they are compelled. Either way its cool with me I'm just exited to get out and ride and maybe make some cool friends.

Craig

? I'm really looking forward to the Warner Springs-to-Scissors section.

-Blake

That section commonly called Grape Vine is pretty fun it like Nate Harrison Grade just goes by to quick i think. Its a kind of fast and a little sandy but not much. You turn off not far after passing the little community of Ranchita. I'm open to doing breakfast i also don't see a reason to rush out. I need my coffee, nicotine and a hot shower. I'm planning on bring some oatmeal packets.

Cheers Craig!

glad I can join this tour.

bdarling:

yeah the ST is not as competent as a KLR... which is the #1 reason for the road-hazard paint job... but I heard rumor there's space available at the back of the line and thought I'd promote someone to penultimate rider.

not so many pics here...

just so you know, if we get into stuff like this, I'm turning around... ...for the view.

2972354300b9418ce672o-L.jpg

(...izzat Lake Henshaw in the background?)

Craig,

-Blake

Blake,

I think we can see if anyone else wants to drive the train on Saturday morning. I don't like to ride to fast and think some of the more enduro style bikes will want to go faster on the dirt so i don't necessarily want to hold others up with my pace. I'm glad to go take the lead but I'm also happy if a faster rider that's familiar with the route wants to take that if they are compelled. Either way its cool with me I'm just exited to get out and ride and maybe make some cool friends.

Craig

I like a slower pace as well. Perhaps you can suggest some rendezvous points just to make sure everyone's doing ok.

My used Touratech cases came today as well as my rack for the Tiger 800 XC. :thumbsup_anim:

Now i just need to time in the garage this week to install them. Kind of overkill for

a over nighter but i want to try them out :cool04:

I like a slower pace as well. Perhaps you can suggest some rendezvous points just to make sure everyone's doing ok.

How about i lead on the pavement and let one of the KTM guys take the lead on the dirt and then wait on the other side?

Really close to jumping in on this ride if I can. I just need to get some new camping gear first. I've done about half of these roads on my own, but would love to meet some more people who love to ride. I'm a slow noob on a small bike and this seems like a good trial run for the Desert Dash campout.

If you've got room for one more, count me in and I'll bring a good attitude and $20 for the campsite of course :)

How fast I get going in the morning largely depends on the refreshments of the night before. I usually like to take my time, eat at least a little something, and get a shower. But if the group decides to wake and bugout, I can do that to.

I got new rubber on the front so will be taking it easy on the pavement for a while at least. In the dirt I'm not fast and I'm not slow so will probably wind up in the middle. I can take on any duties if needed. I haven't ridden the area much but I do have the tracks loaded up on my GPS.

Is it Sat morning yet?!?!?

How fast I get going in the morning largely depends on the refreshments of the night before. I usually like to take my time, eat at least a little something, and get a shower. But if the group decides to wake and bugout, I can do that to.

I got new rubber on the front so will be taking it easy on the pavement for a while at least. In the dirt I'm not fast and I'm not slow so will probably wind up in the middle. I can take on any duties if needed. I haven't ridden the area much but I do have the tracks loaded up on my GPS.

Is it Sat morning yet?!?!?

Shower. You riding a BMW?

It's raining up at palomar right now. Guess the 606's are a solid choice for me....

LOL Nope. KTM rider, BMW hygiene :wacko:

ahahaha. I forgot about showers. I packed my baby wipes though.....

LOL Nope. KTM rider, BMW hygiene :wacko:

ahahaha. I forgot about showers. I packed my baby wipes though.....

Butterfield has showers.

I live in Pine Valley and ride to work down the mountain every morning. I can tell you guys its going to be freaking cold in Julian first thing in the morning. So I'm all for hanging around camp drinking some coffee and taking a hot shower and having breakfast before we head up Oriflamme Canyon and then up Banner. The difference from 7 to 9am in the morning is going to be about 20-25 degrees in Julian.

Craig

Really close to jumping in on this ride if I can. I just need to get some new camping gear first. I've done about half of these roads on my own, but would love to meet some more people who love to ride. I'm a slow noob on a small bike and this seems like a good trial run for the Desert Dash campout.

If you've got room for one more, count me in and I'll bring a good attitude and $20 for the campsite of course :)

What are you riding?

As for groups, we should probably split based on skill level and pace. A lot of you have expressed an interest in a slower pace, but I haven't really heard anybody wanting to bomb down any of these trails with reckless abandon. How about everybody post up with your skill level. To make things objective, consider the following:

Skill Level: 1-2 (Beginner)

Little or no dirt experience. Not familiar with basic dirt skills such as turning and brake control. Jumping curbs for a front row spot at Starbucks does not count here.

Skill Level: 3-4 (Intermediate)

Some dirt experience, possibly even on these exact trails. Understands the mechanics of weight shifting during turning, hills, and stopping. Has a good feel for how their bike handles both on and off road. Appreciates a good roosting :lol:

Skill Level: 5-6 (Advanced)

Very confident in the dirt. Capable of coaching a new rider effectively. Appreciates dishing out said roostings.

Also post your desired pace (fast, medium, slow, ludicrous).

If we get four ride leaders, I think we'll be in good shape. Count me in for leading a group of skill level 1-4.

-Blake

I live in Pine Valley and ride to work down the mountain every morning. I can tell you guys its going to be freaking cold in Julian first thing in the morning. So I'm all for hanging around camp drinking some coffee and taking a hot shower and having breakfast before we head up Oriflamme Canyon and then up Banner. The difference from 7 to 9am in the morning is going to be about 20-25 degrees in Julian.

Craig

what kinda bike do you ride? haha you have probably seen me flagging on 79 at work in the day haha.

look for this fool and wave or say hi if you get the chance!

atwork.jpg

Craig

Being as I only have vented gloves...I'm good with 9ish lol.

As far as my skill level. I would say a 3-4 is about right for me.

Pictures of the Touratech cases that came yesterday. I hope to try these out on this camping trip.

2012-02-07_17-32-29_517.jpg

Sweet!

PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE THIS, SO AS NOT TO CONFUSE ANYONE. THIS MAY BE EDITED LATER IF WE HAVE CHANGES AND I WILL REPOST.

San Diego Adventure Route Ride and Camp

February 11th and 12th, 2012

Butterfield Ranch Resort and Campground:

14952 Great Southern Overland Stage Route

Julian, CA 92036

(760) 765-1463

Tent Camping is $20/night with a 10% discount for groups of 8 or more, circles available.

I put a deposit down to reserve a large group camping ring, so bring $20 and we can square up when we get to the site.

Lunch the first day is at the Hideout by Lake Henshaw. Bring food for the evening at the camp. We will stop in Julian for breakfast on Sunday, unless everyone wants to make breakfast at the campsite. Up to you guys. Mananas Mexican in Alpine for lunch on the second day.

Copyright Alert! The following is the original work of H8chains, but it's sage advice and deserves to be repeated.

"Ride any bike, as long you can keep up with the rest of the group

Bike must be in good mechanical condition, properly maintained and with good tires

Bring all the essential spare parts

This is not a race, the rider in front will be responsible for the rider behind him or her. Unless it’s obvious, stop at all Ys or Ts and wait for the next rider.

Stop before and after a water crossing, big ruts, and other hazards and make sure the rider in front and behind get through safely. Warn the person behind if needed.

No Rogue Riders or Lurkers who will show up on the day of the ride and hi-jack other riders or set the riding pace!

IT WILL BE THE RIDE LEADER OF EACH GROUP WHO WILL SET UP THE PACE."

The plan:

Saturday, February 11th, 2012

9:30 AM - Meet at the Mobile Station at SR 76 and I-15

Day 1 will end at Butterfield Ranch.

Day 2 will end at Alta Road?

See http://www.dualsportmaps.com for the route.

PM me with your email if you want a KML or GPX file.

THE LIST

NAME/BIKE

IN list:

1. XCountry Rider (Craig) - Tiger 800 XC - Group 1 Ride Leader

2. BDarling (Blake) - R1100GS - Level 3-4/Slow - Group 2 Ride Leader

3. Shunka - 950 ADV - Level 3-4

4. Beechum1 - XR650L

5. H8chains - 640E

6. Dan Diego - R1150GS

7. browneye (Chris Brown) - Husky 630 - Level ?/Slow - Group 3 Ride Leader

8. LinksIT - F800GS

9. slugdad (Bill) - KLR 650

10. YetiGS (Scott) - R1100GS

11. El Zorrillo - 950 ADV

12. pjh66 - 950 SE

13. kkug - F800GS (Not Camping)

14. HuckFinn - F800GS - Level 3/Medium

15. SpragueClutch - G650 XCountry

16. BMW KTM (D.J.) - F800GS

17. Jimmy - F800GS

18. Renner - R80ST (Not Camping)

19. Afry - KLR 650

20. Lonestar2112 - R1200GS - Level 3/Slow

21. FuzzyNugs - KLR 250 - Level 1-2/Slow

22. svjeremy - XR650L - Level 3-4

23. Special Guest - Level 5-6

24. SoCalPhil - XR650L - Level 5-6

25. liorsmotoride - F800GS - Level 5-6/Fast

26. firebug24k - KLR 650

27. CA Stu - 950 SE (not camping)

-Blake

Ok, I need two more sweeps and one more ride leader.

Here's how the groups are shaping up:

Group 1 – Levels 1-4

Ride Leader: XCountry Rider (Craig) Triumph Tiger 800 XC

Sweep:

Riders:

Slugdad (Bill) – KLR 650

SpragueClutch – BMW G650 XCountry

Renner – BMW R80ST

FuzzyNugs – KLR 250

Group 2 – Levels 1-4

Ride Leader: bdarling (Blake) – BMW R1100GS

Sweep: YetiGS (Scott) – BMW R1100GS

Riders:

Dan Diego – BMW R1150GS

BMW KTM (D.J.) – BMW F800GS

H8Chains (Joel) – KTM 640E

Shunka – KTM 950 ADV

Group 3 – Levels 1-4

Ride Leader: browneye (Chris) – Husky 630

Sweep: Lonestar2112 (??) – BMW R1200GS

Riders:

Kkug – BMW F800GS

Jimmy – BMW F800GS

firebug24k - KLR 650

Group 4 – Levels ?-?

Ride Leader:

Sweep:

Riders:

Beechum1 – XR650L

LinksIT – BMW F800GS

HuckFinn – BMW F800GS

Afry – KLR 650

svjeremy - XR650L

Group 5 - Hell On Wheels

Ride Leader: CA Stu - KTM 950 SE

Sweep:

Riders:

liorsmotoride - BMW F800GS

SoCalPhil - XR650L

Special Guest

El Zorrillo –KTM 950 ADV

Pjh66 – KTM 950 SE

If you don't like what you see, let me know where you want to go and I'll shuffle. If you're listed as a leader or a sweep and you don't want to fill that role, tell me.

-B!

If anyone has helmet headsets with FRS/GMRS radios I'm going to bring mine for comms.

41D2K7WBAGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I'll have mine.

Ch.6?

So my wife relented and she's letting my son go on the back of the Tiger. He's rode a lot with me of these back roads but never for this long of period at one shot. We've rode alot for the last 3 years up near Kennedy Meadows up and down Monache Jeep trail and all around the area. Hes extremely excited and has Long Way Around in and watching it for about the 10th time :) He's ten now which means i of course don't want to go fast. If i could be one of the slower group leaders that would be great.

Dakota a couple years ago on the back of the G650 Xcountry during a hunting trip in Monache Meadows.

IMG_2804.JPG