Sign in to follow this  
husky4me

Motorcycle Brand Loyalty

O.key.. we all like to tease each other about each other's choice of brand in motorcycles... :tease: I guess there is a psychological need to belong.. and we vs. them...and it happens with nations, cultures, and yes, brands too... it's we vs. them... red vs. orange.. green vs. yellow... good vs. evil... in the cold war it was america vs. russia.. then, there is the image of a brand.. nike, thor, BMW, KTM, Honda, Husqvarna, levis jeans, etc.... Just a reminder that big companies do think about marketing strategies and take into consideration the psychology of brand loyalty, prestige and image, etc... When we buy a Honda product, they send you a free membership to the Honda club, and immediately you are now a Team Honda member.. they want you to align with the brand and be loyal, because hopefully you will purchase another Honda product.. KTM does the same thing... they call it Team Orange.. they send publications, and even a yearly catalog with products with the KTM logo.. Kawasaki send you a publication called Team Green Kawasaki with the same general stuff... when I purchased the BMW I was immediatly signed up to the BMW owners club of San Diego.. heck, now that I spent a lot of money to purchase my BMW riding jacket (with BMW logo), I may end up wanting another BMW motorcycle, because now I'm a beemer guy... :crazy: and someone will probably say, what a hipocrit husky4me, what about your screen name?? :wacko: O.key, I have to admit, I fell for that as well...I had just purchased my husky when I chose my screen name and I was overly excited!! :unsure: So I have owned yellow, orange, red, green etc... in the past.. they are all cool stuff with different strenghts and weaknesses... And yeah!! we all fall for that, but this post is just a little reminder and something to open up discussion.. ;)

By the way, having been the only owner of a husky bike with SDAR I was very happy to see a new member, Dirt Dame, come with another TE450... When she said her suspension was bad, and in another post told another member that bought a new 450 exc, "great choice, will will find more market support." For a moment I felt like "you trador." Then I just laugh about it... :D and got to think about how she is right, husky's come with very poor suspension settings... I need to take mine to a pro-shop for a good tune up, as the front fork still deflects me out..

So just a reminder, it's all a marketing thing!! Don't take brand loyalty and Company Team Spirit too seriously.... remember that these companies pay good bucks to marketing experts to make us align with their brand and feel like we are part of that great TEAM!! Now, husky just changed colors on me, it used to be blue and yellow and now red and white?? ;) so what am I??? now I have an identity problem??? :blink: and you beemer guys, what's BMW's color??? now I'm confused... :blink:

Cheers!!! ;)

Guest Hammerin Hammon

O.key.. we all like to tease each other about each other's choice of brand in motorcycles... ;) I guess there is a psychological need to belong.. and we vs. them...and it happens with nations, cultures, and yes, brands too... it's we vs. them... red vs. orange.. green vs. yellow... good vs. evil... in the cold war it was america vs. russia.. then, there is the image of a brand.. nike, thor, BMW, KTM, Honda, Husqvarna, levis jeans, etc.... Just a reminder that big companies do think about marketing strategies and take into consideration the psychology of brand loyalty, prestige and image, etc... When we buy a Honda product, they send you a free membership to the Honda club, and immediately you are now a Team Honda member.. they want you to align with the brand and be loyal, because hopefully you will purchase another Honda product.. KTM does the same thing... they call it Team Orange.. they send publications, and even a yearly catalog with products with the KTM logo.. Kawasaki send you a publication called Team Green Kawasaki with the same general stuff... when I purchased the BMW I was immediatly signed up to the BMW owners club of San Diego.. heck, now that I spent a lot of money to purchase my BMW riding jacket (with BMW logo), I may end up wanting another BMW motorcycle, because now I'm a beemer guy... :blink: and someone will probably say, what a hipocrit husky4me, what about your screen name?? :tease: O.key, I have to admit, I fell for that as well...I had just purchased my husky when I chose my screen name and I was overly excited!! :unsure: So I have owned yellow, orange, red, green etc... in the past.. they are all cool stuff with different strenghts and weaknesses... And yeah!! we all fall for that, but this post is just a little reminder and something to open up discussion.. :blink:

This is why I add my opinion witch is formed by years of experiance and having lots of friends in the racing community who tell me what they prefer.I wont post what the rider I was with today told me because I dont want to ofend alot of people. We do think alot alike though.

Cheers!!! :wacko:

Interesting Martin...

...come to think of it I didn't get squat for buying a Suzuki, but I still feel some loyalty because I've had a good experience with them. I guess mine has more to do with similarities between the products of one particular brand. You get familiar with the mechanicals and being able to use some of the same tools on each...

I'm not particularly big on logos and such. I take the majority of stickers and graphics off my bikes too. Nonetheless I get what you are suggesting.

Well like everything ive got to throw my 2 cents worth in. For me it's just fun as heck to twist someones tail about the color of the bike. I may be warpped, but so be it. It started with me years ago I was 16 or so when my best friend and i started racing motocross. He raced a hodaka super rat , me a bulltaco supera s, of course the Big red Machine (Bulltaco) was by far faster, better handling, much much sexier. We all Knew better. the bantering has always been a fun thing to do. Even to this day i still give my child hood buddy crap about riding Blue. Some of you are taking this color debate way to serious. It is purley entertainment. We are not insulting each other, we are tail twisting. From an outsiders point of view i can see where is looks like a pissing match gone bad. It hasnt, Heck i think its great that the Mfg. of the bike have such a strong following that people are willing to insist that their bike is best. I do apologize for letting it go to far in a few posts, but ive learned. You guys can stop PM'ing about this! There really is a place for chest pounding. I just hope everybody relizes it all good, and, all in fun! At least with me. Martin That is the beauty of this thing. You can insist that BMW white is the best in one argument, and that husky blue and yellow is the best in another. Twice the chance of wining.well at least until you send that Husky down the road.

This is just a fun discussion!!! Not to take it too seriously... sandiegoland, you are right... a brand has been good to you, and you stick with the brand... and obviously some brands build a good reputation due to their quality control standards.. honda has build a good reputation, very reliable motors and good suspension.. we all have different tastes and sometimes we feel more attracted to one brand vs. another brand.. and let's face it, some products are just terrible...

Since we are in the topic of brands etc... I have to admit that my most reliable bike ever was a

93 Honda CT70... I would not use that thing for over a year and it would start at first kick.. it was a beauty.. also, the worst one for starting was the 02 Honda CRF150... it was supposed to be an easy playbike, but it was the worst bike ever for starting.. if it stalled in the middle of a trail, the thing would take 30 minutes to kick start..Honda has fixed that problem with an electric start and a brand new motor for the CRF150.. My little kawasaki 110 starts at first kick.. my last suzuki rm125 was good to me.. In a review from CycleWorld between the Honda XR650L vs. the Husqvarna TE610, cycle world said the honda was under power, old but proven designed, and very trustworthy... the husky was faster, felt much better, but they had some issues with reliability during their test.. some of the husky motors are very high performance and push the horsepower to the limit out of a motor, but that makes the reliability more of a question??

Edit added:Yeah, metal twister... it's just fun stuff, and we tease each other... I'm discussing this topic just as a fun chat on the subject... Like you say, I'll have a chance on winning, at least until I send the husky down the road... :crazy: I have been thinking about selling the husky, but I'm having difficulty because I really like the way it rides and it is just a lot of fun to me!! In my opinion, it is a great motorcycle with excellent components... but, well, I sure hope I don't have to invest a lot of money when the time comes for an engine overhaul.. :unsure: and if that's the case, well, so be it... it's part of pushing performance to the limit! :wacko: By the way, KTM rocks!! I loved that 300exc I used to have... :blink:

My 19-year-old son who is a mechanic apprentice drives a Toyota FJ40 1975, wants to get a Tacoma, and told me he did not want my husky... he is getting himself a Honda... U see, I have a trador in my own home... ;) :tease: :blink:

Different strokes for different folks ;) My first choice was the KTM 450 exc, because it was the only dirt worthy dual sport on the market that I knew of....but then I read an article on the TE, went down to look at one and asked lots of questions about it. Each rider has his or her own set of requirements that need to be fulfilled and they need to gather information on various models so that they can make the best choice for their needs. Any full sized bike that I buy need the suspension redone, because most manufacturers, configure their spring rates for a rider who weighs a little over 180 pounds and I weigh less than 120 pounds. So, no matter what I buy in a full sized bike, I am in trouble right out of the gate. I have spent considerable amounts of time researching how suspension is set up, why sag setting is so critical, what makes a machine do something in a particular situation and how to make it do what you need it to do. It is all simple math.

I love my Husky (Tootalljones)and know that it was the right decision for me and it doesn't need a new seat because it didn't come with an upholstered brick like some bikes do. It didn't need regearing and probably doesn't need a suspension revalve either. For me, it was the best value needing the least amount of mods to get it out on the trail' and that is what I was looking for. The KTM would have needed new springs, possibly valving, a new saddle and regearing. Besides, I already own a KTM. I wanted to try something new. I like Italian bikes. Anything Italian is sexy(except for my ex-husband) :unsure:

BRAND LOYALTY,Almost all the bikes are good these days,what it comes down to is ergonomics or what you feel comfortable on and price range,whats are average speed? 35mph :unsure::wacko:;)

SHUT UP AND RIDE....THATS ARE MOTTO ISNT IT.

OH YEAH,TO THIS DAY I HAVE ALWAYS HAD A HARLEY DAVIDSON IN MY GARAGE AND GET A NEW ONE EVERY 2 YEARS AND DONT KNOW WHY, its probably the slowest bike ive ever had :tease: :blink::blink:

BRAND LOYALTY,Almost all the bikes are good these days,what it comes down to is ergonomics or what you feel comfortable on and price range,whats are average speed? 35mph :unsure::wacko:;)

SHUT UP AND RIDE....THATS ARE MOTTO ISNT IT.

OH YEAH,TO THIS DAY I HAVE ALWAYS HAD A HARLEY DAVIDSON IN MY GARAGE AND GET A NEW ONE EVERY 2 YEARS AND DONT KNOW WHY, its probably the slowest bike ive ever had :tease: :blink::blink:

Hey schiwinn, U got an excellent point! Most brands are pretty good and competitive!! Even the Harley Davidson which used to have a terrible rep, it seems it's a good bike... who knows about the new korean's bikes.. just like hynday used to be terrible and now has good ratings in reliability...

If all you guys would just ride Hondas we wouldn't need to be having this discussion.

B)

If all you guys would just ride Hondas we wouldn't need to be having this discussion.

:D

Hey, if we all rode Honda's life would be sooooooo boring!!! B) At least us, who don't ride Hondas have things to talk about, like how to fix our bikes... :D

what if we allrode the same bikes ,listened to the same music,dressed alike.NOT! :D:D:D Remember i have 4 different brands of bikes at home & cars ford, chevy, jeep, VW, boy am i confused, B):D

B)