karlaeda

San Diego to San Francisco route questions

Hey Guys,

My fiance and I are planning a trip on the bike to go to San Francisco, we would be taking highway 1 most of the way, but I'd get tired of the 550 miles on pavement.

Are there any fire roads that go parallel to Hwy 1? Have anybody tried anything like that already?

We will be taking 2 days to get there - one way.

Any suggestions? :)

Thanks!

-George

George, make sure highway 1 is open completely. I'm not sure if they are still rebuilding the collapsed sections. It was closed a few miles north of Hearst Castle when I went in early summer. If you've never done it the views are awesome. Santa Cruz is a cool stop and there is plenty of camping along the way. Check the waterfalls too.

Edit: there are many fun and "curvacious" roads off 1 north of Santa Barbara once you head into Big Sur and the surrounding areas. I know of one dirt road in Big Sur that cuts out some hwy, I'll look it up and get back to you on it.

When are you going ? I have a book that has all the dirt routes in the coastal mountains, but they're mainly north of San Fran I believe. You're welcome to borrow the book. PM me for my number.

One of the biggest problems to riding dirt between San Simeon and Carmel is that the Ventana and Silver Lake Wilderness' (no motorized traffic) come down almost to the coast, and what isn't Wilderness is mostly private. There is more dirt to the east, but it is far inland. There are two dirt roads you can take in this area and stay close to PCH, if that is your intent. South of Plaskett by a couple of miles is FS23S02/South Coast Road. You can take it up to 22S01/Naciminto Ferguson Road, and then back down to PCH. If you turn right when you hit N-F Road, it will take you to Fort Hunter-Liggett. You will see other parts of South Coast Road/Coast Ridge Road south of 23S02, but you can can't ride it. Also, once you hit N-F Road, on maps it appears you can cross N-F Road and go north, but you have to turn west as the Coast Ridge Road north of there up to Cone Peak is closed due to washouts and such.

Next opportunity for dirt north of there and south of Monterey is Old Coast Road that you will pick up just north of Big Sur in Andrew Molera State Park. Runs north and will drop you out at world famous Bixby Bridge. It is what people used before they built the Bixby Bridge to get down to Big Sur. From there on up to at least Santa Cruz you are pretty much on slab. Each of these routes are about 10-15 miles at most, and traverse or abut private property. While you have the right to ride them, be kind as people are always looking for a reason to close them down. Except for the land owners, it is mostly bikes that use these two routes.

If you can't find any of these points, let me know and I can be more specific or make up a .gpx file for you.

Highway 1 is open. Just rode it in July. The spots that they are working on have a single lane and a signal light so north bound and south bound have to take turns. Really didn't put too much of a delay on the ride.

Street Suggestions:

From Morro Bay:

CA1 to Old Creek Road - Cross 46 and it becomes Santa Rosa Creek Road Follow into Cambria and back on CA 1

CA-1 to Nacimiento-Fergusson follow to Mission Road to Jolon Road to King City. North on 101 a couple miles to Central to Elm to Arroyo Seca to Carmel Valley Road follow into Monterey.

From Monterey Penninsula:

CA 1 into Santa Cruz - and turn on Bay Street - becomes Empire Grade Road.

Empire to Jamison Creek Road to CA 236 (Big Basin Hwy).

CA 236 to China Grade Road to CA 236 to CA 9 to CA 35 (Skyline Drive)

Stop at La Honda and Highline for a cup of coffee at Alice's Restaurant

Either continue on Highline to to San Mateo Road to the 280 OR turn left on La Honda to Pescadero Creek Road to Stage Road to Tunitas Creek Road - Cross CA 35 - becomes Kings Mountain follow to 280.

Street Suggestions:

From Morro Bay:

CA1 to Old Creek Road - Cross 46 and it becomes Santa Rosa Creek Road Follow into Cambria and back on CA 1

CA-1 to Nacimiento-Fergusson follow to Mission Road to Jolon Road to King City. North on 101 a couple miles to Central to Elm to Arroyo Seca to Carmel Valley Road follow into Monterey.

From Monterey Penninsula:

CA 1 into Santa Cruz - and turn on Bay Street - becomes Empire Grade Road.

Empire to Jamison Creek Road to CA 236 (Big Basin Hwy).

CA 236 to China Grade Road to CA 236 to CA 9 to CA 35 (Skyline Drive)

Stop at La Honda and Highline for a cup of coffee at Alice's Restaurant

Either continue on Highline to to San Mateo Road to the 280 OR turn left on La Honda to Pescadero Creek Road to Stage Road to Tunitas Creek Road - Cross CA 35 - becomes Kings Mountain follow to 280.

Yes, that's it!

Awesome, thanks guys! I will review all the routes above. I have a few weeks before we go - nothing is set in stone.

Alice's on the skyline...love that place. Yes, gotta go through that!

-George

Dirt or street? I have my favorites, and it's not Hwy 1

I wanted to do a mild combination of street and dirt. Probably 10% dirt 90% street.

Well, none of that was dirt, but there are some sho 'nuff goat trails in there.

There MAY be a dirty way to get from Nacimiento Ferg to Carmel Valley Road (on Arroyo Seca Road), but some of it is probably military, some is UFSF, and who knows what the road conditions or access is are like.

Dirt or street? I have my favorites, and it's not Hwy 1

I wanted to do a mild combination of street and dirt. Probably 10% dirt 90% street.

There MAY be a dirty way to get from Nacimiento Ferg to Carmel Valley Road (on Arroyo Seca Road), but some of it is probably military, some is UFSF, and who knows what the road conditions or access is like.

Not directly, but from Fort Hunter Ligget you used to be able to get to Arroyo Seco. That road is Milpitas Rd/Forest Route 19S09. Closed. Was riding up there a couple of weeks ago and it was locked up. Called the Monterey Ranger District on that one and they said no way, no how. :angry: