Sign in to follow this  
DigDug

My new dualsport

While here in Arkansas, I have been out a few times to ride the local trails. A buddy has been tagging along on my old KLX-300, but it was not street legal. Until this past week!

klxds1.jpg

klxds2.jpg

I figured, what the heck, I might as well try and jump through the Arkansas hoops to get a plate for it. No hoops required. I ordered a Baja Designs kit, grabbed the title and went down to the DMV. 30 minute wait for my number, 10 minutes at the counter, and $19.50 later, I walk out with a plate in hand.

The lady understood exactly what I wanted and required me only to sign an odometer disclosure (I estimated 8000 miles - over the 7500 required for the bike to be considered a 'used' vehicle in CA), provide copies of receipts for the equipment I used to make it legal, and pay my fee. I should have a street title in the mail in 2 weeks. No bike inspection. No need to have any hokey VIN verifications done, etc.

I figured it'd be nice to have "buddy bike dualsport" and since I had the KLX, why bother selling it and buying something else. Only downside is the kick-only. If only CA didn't have such silly laws regarding conversions.

I agree completely about how silly some of the California regulations are. What do they think will happen if we make a dirt bike street legal? Will we beat up the roads more than a car, will we pollute the air more than a big truck? I've plated 6 bikes in Arizona in the last year and every time it's a simple and inexpensive process. I will probably change all of my vehicle registrations to Arizona in the next few years and my legal residence also so I don't have to go thru the silly smog check on cars that pass every time and the large fees on bikes that only get ridden a few hundred miles a year on the road.

CID

Very nice Doug. Agreed - I always remember sitting on top of a hill at Superstition watching an agricultural burn in the Central Valley. More cubic yards of crap went in the air on that one burn than will ever be produced by the combined riding of SDAR.

Plus the state increase revenue with another fully hiway registered vehicle and helps the economy by paying into insurance fees............good job