KLXBEN

KTM 2 stroke fan kit on a 4 stroke

Hi all, I am new to ebay and just purchased a used fan kit for 08-11 2 stroke. I have a 4 stroke. I did not read the description good and noticed it was for a 2 stroke after I won the item. I have looked at both kits and even though they have different part numbers the do not look any different. Any idea if is still a plug n play or am I going to have to get tricky (which I do not want to do on my new bike!). If it wont work anybody wanna buy it? I paid $60.00.

It should work without much hassle, one of main differences is 2 stroke kit inlcudes an additional inline waterhose adapter so you can use the On / Off auto temp sensor which on 4 strokes plugs straight into bottom of radiator, see these 2 links with description and pics

2 stroke

4 stroke

I have the aftermarket fan kit on my 450....I've been very happy with it....but I was told the fan kit also required the upgraded stator to operate....(not sure if that's true or not, but you might want to find out before installing the fan)...

I was putting the stator on anyway, so added the fan...it has made alot of difference....haven't overheated ONCE since the install....even at high elevation!!....

(climbs and singletrack especially in high elevations like mammoth last year caused some overheating without a fan).

I have the aftermarket fan kit on my 450....I've been very happy with it....but I was told the fan kit also required the upgraded stator to operate....(not sure if that's true or not, but you might want to find out before installing the fan)...

Just a guess but if you turn the headlight off when the fan would be on i cannot see it being an issue. Fans are probably not needed at night.

Just a guess but if you turn the headlight off when the fan would be on i cannot see it being an issue. Fans are probably not needed at night.

this issue may have been advice specific to my bike with a baja designs kit on it..

Not so sure.

On a stock bike, the headlight works on a AC circuit created by a seperate pole on the stator. DC operates everything else. On a stock bike, turning off the headlight would have no effect on the DC circuit.

On a bike with a DC mod, however, you'd be correct. But then the stator and wiring have been modified for full DC, and more of it, in which case the power demands of the fan and the headlight are easily satisfied.

Unless you have a super-duper three-way HID headlight.dry.gif

Not so sure.

On a stock bike, the headlight works on a AC circuit created by a seperate pole on the stator. DC operates everything else. On a stock bike, turning off the headlight would have no effect on the DC circuit.

On a bike with a DC mod, however, you'd be correct. But then the stator and wiring have been modified for full DC, and more of it, in which case the power demands of the fan and the headlight are easily satisfied.

Unless you have a super-duper three-way HID headlight.dry.gif

Well look at that... I stand corrected. Thank you!

Years of my mistakes have provided benefit for you!

Years of my mistakes have provided benefit for you!

It's very cool how smart and knowledgable some of you are.....(notice I separately SMART....and KNOWLEDGABLE.....) Paul is both.... :lol:

and big thanks to YOU, for how AWESOME my electrical system works.....coach...