XplorinTJ

500 mile maintenance really required?

I have a new KLR 650. When I bought it, the dealer told me (and the manual says) that I need to have it serviced at a Kawasaki dealer at 500 miles. The manual says that the work to be done is: check idle, valve clearance, air filter cleaning, emission control check, battery check, adjust clutch, check chain tension, change oil and filter. Pretty basic stuff. I can do everything except the emissions check and valve check (only because I've never tried it before). Should I spend the money for all that or do it myself and hope that the valves are okay and check them at a later date? I don't wanna lose my warranty. How much do you think it is to take it to a dealer? I've never taken my cars or bikes to a dealer, I like to do things myself. I guess I better buy a service manual, huh?

This is the most important service of all. And if you don't take it to the dealer, it may void your warranty.

After this one, you're probably OK doing the rest yourself.

Only way to find out how much it will cost, is to call and ask them.

I think most new bike will wear-in the cam lobes over the first 500-1500 miles, so the valves should be adjusted now. I'd let the dealer do the first one in order to maintain the warranty and get the manual for future adjustments. There is a great website that I joined years ago where I learned to adjust the valves on my bikes and it's really simple, but they're not a KLRs :i-m_so_happy: . All the other stuff is really simple

Emission check? :lol:

Good Luck :bb:

There is a KLR tech day next week in Julian (I think thats what I heard). These guys know KLRs inside and out. I would make it a point to be there if I had one. Some of the KLR guys will chime in and let you know exactly when and where. I would probably call the dealer and talk to them, but I would go the the Tech day before I went to the dealer. :i-m_so_happy: Ken

Warranty issues are the real question! You have to find out if you will void the warranty by not having them do it. What if you do the scheduled maintenance, then the dohickey goes. Then the warranty if void. OOOUUCH!

Do the dealer service as required by the warrenty and check out tech days to replace your do-hiccky thingy ma bobber. Then hook up whth fellow KLR owners to seek further improvments. :)

I kinda figured that was the response I would get. I'll suck it up and take it to the dealer this time, but I definitely need to learn how to adjust the valves for the future. The manual says that a dealer or a "qualified mechanic" has to do it. I don't think I qualify :) . Thanks for the info.

I kinda figured that was the response I would get. I'll suck it up and take it to the dealer this time, but I definitely need to learn how to adjust the valves for the future. The manual says that a dealer or a "qualified mechanic" has to do it. I don't think I qualify :) . Thanks for the info.

KLR tech days may have a qualified mechanic? Your choice.

The KLR tech day is a must. I bought a KLR and took it to the tech day on the same day. What a great group of guys and a good time. Even though Backhoedoc has my old KLR, I plan to drop in - since I live in Julian. Come on over and check/adjust your valves but more importantly Replace The Chain Tensioner. Pyro's had a broken spring with 7600 miles on it. It would be very interesting to see if yours is broken with 500 miles! Bring a few dollars for some oil and dohickey. Skip work, ditch the family / girlfriend, whatever - it is worth it.

It is illegal for a manufacturer to require dealer service for warranty. The guys at Leftcoast KLR tech days are as qualified or more qualified than the dealer. Yes you should expect to do the work yourself but they will be right there to second check your clearances and help you do it. Sure, ride it with dealer service and a stock dohickey while under warranty- that will get you a new engine when yours bites it in the desert from a crappy ass chain tensioner but it won't get you a tow home.

The KLR tech day is a must. I bought a KLR and took it to the tech day on the same day. What a great group of guys and a good time. Even though Backhoedoc has my old KLR, I plan to drop in - since I live in Julian. Come on over and check/adjust your valves but more importantly Replace The Chain Tensioner. Pyro's had a broken spring with 7600 miles on it. It would be very interesting to see if yours is broken with 500 miles! Bring a few dollars for some oil and dohickey. Skip work, ditch the family / girlfriend, whatever - it is worth it.

It is illegal for a manufacturer to require dealer service for warranty. The guys at Leftcoast KLR tech days are as qualified or more qualified than the dealer. Yes you should expect to do the work yourself but they will be right there to second check your clearances and help you do it. Sure, ride it with dealer service and a stock dohickey while under warranty- that will get you a new engine when yours bites it in the desert from a crappy ass chain tensioner but it won't get you a tow home.

Yeah... what he said... If you check your own tolerances, and can illustarte that you did it to spec, they would still have to honor the warranty... and, as a former KLR owner that had their bike grande outside Anza, change the doo! i was the second owner, therefore no warranty, but the bike only had 3000 miles on it! From what i hear, the Julian Tech days are top notch!