kkug

Off to N Cal and Moto GP

Thinking on KKug as I watched MotoGP today. Must have seen him in the crowd shots.

If I know him, he is Riding his way home this Sunday PM.

God Speed Ken!!

I am not that tough.I am camping out for one last nite at Lake San Antonio.This place is nice because you can camp anywhere on the shore.

Clear sky and a millions of stars.

I made it back home all safe and sound. 2462 mi of CA. Back to the grind,cleaning,sorting and work tomarrow.

Pic,s to come later.

Kug

Glad you made back safe and sound Ken

look forward to seeing some of this pictures...

Glad you made back safe and sound Ken

look forward to seeing some of this pictures...

DITTO THAT...it was fun to follow you and cool that you kept posting along the way too...

Bishop is cool !

Ok here goes .I will try to stick in some pictures.

I left on fri eve after work ( July 15 ) rode up 395 ,got to Alabama Hills around 10-11 PM. I love it out here -my favorite place to wake up in the morning.

IMAG01491.jpg

IMAG01511.jpg

Off to Bishop--The temps were perfect. Took some dirt around Lake Crowley and back on 395 near Mono Lake where I took a break in the Jorden Valley.

IMAG01541.jpg

Thanks Roger. I got all the major hyway done thank god. Of to Eagle Lake to see the Firefly's come out.

Now as I was continuing up 395 you have to endure riding threw the Carson City -Reno mess. It takes a while,but you have to pay your dues.

My goal was Eagle Lake north of Susanville.

IMAG01551.jpg

Got a nice secluded free campsite. I talked to someone that was going to view fireflies later that nite but where I was it was dry and not firefly friendly.

016.jpg

019.jpg

I am in Ceadervile ca.Spent yesterday hikeing -- and riding gravel roads .

Ready to take Modoc Backcountry route.Weather is prefect.

This is an awesome part of the state .Green and plenty of deer to watch for .

Later the Kug

After Eagle Lake was one of my favorite parts of the trip. My goal was South Warner Wilderness to do some hiking.Took dirt roads across the Madeline Plains to Likely Ca. When you are in this part of the state you better be prepared for the lack of gas and services. This is the boonies and I give credit to any one of the harty souls that make this area their home. Every one was nice and friendly. Thay say the winters are very long.

IMAG01571.jpg

IMAG01591.jpg

Stoped for the only food and gas in Likely.

024.jpg

Blue Lake--very nice

025.jpg

So I get to Patterson NF campground. No one around. At this point all my camping was free and would be for a few days yet.

A few years ago I thought I would never get into hiking but I enjoy it ! ( nothing major 6-10 mile hikes max ) cheep entertainment.

Went out on the Summit Trail for 3 miles. All green-spring flowers everywhere. Epic !

IMAG01601.jpg

IMAG01611.jpg

IMAG01631.jpg

034.jpg

IMAG01621.jpg

My camp

IMAG01651.jpg

Found some leftovers ( survived a few winters )

IMAG01661.jpg

I am in Ceadervile ca.Spent yesterday hikeing -- and riding gravel roads .

Ready to take Modoc Backcountry route.Weather is prefect.

This is an awesome part of the state .Green and plenty of deer to watch for .

Later the Kug

More to come from Cedarville--got to take a break !

Its now Monday morning. I ride east out of the Mtn,s and come to the Surprise Valley. It is a surprise --huge valley between CA and NV probably 100 miles long with dry lakes that have water in them. Green lush farmland and ranches. Awesome.

042.jpg

040.jpg

My goal is to check out some small towns. And boy are they small. A lot of history in this area.

044.jpg

043.jpg

046.jpg

047.jpg

045.jpg

My goal was to take some Back-country Byways and I did. Bits and Piece's of about three of them.

Emigrant Trails Scenic Byway

Modoc Backcountry Discovery Trail.

Volcanic Trails Loop.

IMAG01731.jpg

IMAG01741.jpg

048.jpg

Back to cross 395 at Davis Creek

051.jpg

Then in the middle of Goose Lake.

052.jpg

Getting close to Oregon.

053.jpg

At this point the scenery was not that great in my book but you can,t have it all.

IMAG01771.jpg

But had a nice nites sleep at this campground.

IMAG01761.jpg

Now I am at Lava Beds Nat. It is a bit cool and overcast.Did a bunch marbley washboard roads yesterday and was afraid my subframe was going to break off.

Off to Tule Lake to get gas and Horseradish !!!

Lava at Lava Beds --at lot of caves to explore for anyone who is interested in that.

055.jpg

I was very interested in the Modoc Indian War. Sad story about 60 Indians holding off 600 troops.

This is the site of the battlefield. The Indians were holed up in the nooks and cranny's of the lava. They survived until the troops cut off their water supply from Tule Lake. Then they had to surrender. :(

IMAG01791.jpg

IMAG01781.jpg

Had a great lunch at Tule Lake CA. Not much hapening in this town.

Took dirt roads past Medcine Lake. Met up with a guy on a 690 KTM --was bikepacking from Fort Brag. Rides to everywhere from his home to Nevada and beyond on dirt.

061.jpg

Camped out somewhere Lake Britton. Fish jumping all nite ! I think this is about Wed July 20

IMAG01821.jpg

Rode past Burney Falls.

062.jpg

Then took dirt roads to the backside of Lassen Nat Park. Epic !

066.jpg

068.jpg

I pulled in around 11:30 Got a campsite -showered-did laundry -got ready to do some hiking.

Best part of my ride so far--snow everywhere !

IMAG01941.jpg

IMAG01961.jpg

IMAG01991.jpg

On the trail to Bumpas Hell .

IMAG02011.jpg

071.jpg

Very Nice -highly recommended

IMAG02061.jpg

IMAG02051.jpg

IMAG02121.jpg

IMAG02111.jpg

Its Thursday and about time I think about moving south to Monterey and to Moto GP.

Rode out of Lassen to Chester for lunch. I came across a rider down on a twisty part of Hwy.32 I was the fourth person their. His riding buddy and the guy that saw it all happen were with him. No cell so we stooped some cars and they rode down -up the road to summon help.

Typical bike accident -shoulder disco-ribs-hip-He was not a happy camper-but was conscious and talking. Very professional Cal Fire crew from Butte station arrived on scene about 50 minutes later.They were calling in a chopper so the road was going to be closed so I could do no more so I left.

Was going to camp at Lake Oroville--$30- no way so I headed off into the wilderness ( 80 mile side trip )where I probly should not have been riding alone.

Came across this area and set up camp in the dark. Spooky at nite --saw deer eyeing me up in the dark. I wounder if their eyes recovered after I hit them with my HID ? :heh:

IMAG02141.jpg

IMAG02151.jpg

Its Friday AM and the bikes are on the track at Moto GP--I better get their !!

I rode out of the National Forest to Roseville. I had to cash in a gift certificate that I won the previous year at a Yosemite ride.Got to the BMW shop, got my goodies ,got on the freeway ( sucks after days of dirt and backroads ) and headed to Monterey. Rolled in went to will call picked up my tickets.It is cool and windy -burr - Headed off to Hollister Hills SVRA to camp (Remember I am on a budget or cheep -one of the two )

Sat Morning -up early to the track to enjoy the weekend.I really enjoy the whole thing. Can,t wait till next year.

Met up with Matt and his son- had some brewskis-and some brats-watched the guys haul butt. Saw Lorenzo crash in front of me ( poor Guy )

IMAG02201.jpg

Even Kendal Norman was in the Red Bull both ( missed him )

IMAG02241.jpg

Saw some wierd stuff !

IMAG02211.jpg

IMAG02191.jpg

They had to add all sorts of cell towers and stuff --everyone was on the phone.

IMAG02181.jpg

Went to the Yamaha party Sat after the races.--Fun Fun

IMAG02291.jpg

A guy just arived (just flew in fron the east coast ) after wining the E bay charity auction of Colon Edwards leathers.

IMAG02311.jpg

Sunday and back to the track--tons of people.

I had a pit pass so first things first.

IMAG02331.jpg

IMAG02341.jpg

Lorenzo was a little stiff.

IMAG02371.jpg

Special Agents or spy's ???

IMAG02391.jpg

Colon shooting Tee shirts

IMAG02401.jpg

Monster Girl !!! :rolleyes:

IMAG02421.jpg

Kenny Roberts old bike

IMAG02441.jpg

Mitch Hanson's KTM roadrace team ( I know Mitch from the MX days when I lived in WI. I did not get to talk to him .I think he was trying to swing some sponsorship deal. I wish him luck . A die hard enthusiast )

IMAG02461.jpg

IMAG02451.jpg

San Diego BMW Roadrace Team

IMAG02471.jpg

So I met up with Matt again. Cruised around --did some race watching.

IMAG02511.jpg

IMAG02501.jpg

Time to start to head home.

I rode to Lake San Antonio--I like it here --you cam camp anywhere on the shore.

IMAG02541.jpg

IMAG02561.jpg

Well it is Monday and got to get back home. No pictures -just a grind on the highway. But I did take some back roads. Got home around 3 PM --2450 miles .Unpacked --washed the bike --washed the gear- put everything away..

So I am ready for the next one. Can,t Wait !

Later the KUG

awesome! That is some serious mileage!

Great pics, as well...

Edwards might be an a-hole sometimes (not really... I think he's pretty cool) but his name is COLIN, not COLON

awesome! That is some serious mileage!

Great pics, as well...

Edwards might be an a-hole sometimes (not really... I think he's pretty cool) but his name is COLIN, not COLON

You got me laughing !!