Sign in to follow this  
CATwrench

Left turns at signals...

Was curious if any of you fellas know if it is legal to turn left at a signal if your motorcycle will not trip the light sensor(on a red)??? It seems I have to do this often and my bike is "technically" out of DOT specs. and would like to keep it out of the impound yard.

For the first time in my life i saw a magnetic bar that you put under neath your bike that is guaranteed to trip lights like cars, i saw it on the counter at Escondido cycle center yesterday, i also run lights all the time that dont trip cuz im on a bike :unsure:

I asked a CHP about this once, he said to wait one light cycle and treat it as a malfunctioning signal. Now that being said, it is probably up to individual LEO discretion and if there is one in view I will wait!

As for the magnets, I have heard from some people that they work and from others that they don't.

What I learned at Traffic School last night is that it is NEVER legal to run a red light (according to the letter of the Vehicle Code, which this instructor knew inside-out), so you would be forced to turn right and find a place to U tun. What they told us at Motorcycle Safety School is that if you wait a reasonable period of time and the light does not change, and no car comes to trip the light, it is "O.K." to proceed with cautuion and when safe.

I always wait for a minute or so, take a real good look both ways, into the adjacent parking areas, across the street, behind the road signs, and anywhere else I think the cops might be hiding, before I go through the red lights at intersections just to make sure I won't have any 'splainin' to do.

At the MSF course, they said you had to wait 3 cycles before you could go and that it was legal.

I usually - not always - manage to trip the magnetic sensors by stopping with the bike diagonal on the forward right-hand side of the cut-out circle in the asphalt.

I asked a CHP about this once, he said to wait one light cycle and treat it as a malfunctioning signal. Now that being said, it is probably up to individual LEO discretion and if there is one in view I will wait!

As for the magnets, I have heard from some people that they work and from others that they don't.

I got a ticket for this once... went to court, and it was a slam dunk... as soon as I questioned the officer whether or not he had actually seen me approach the signal (why cross examining a cop makes me nervous, i don't know)... he said he didn't see me approach, therefore had no idea how long I was there; Judge says, "Mr Conrad, technically, you are in violation..." which I KNEW would be followed with "but as the signal did not change, it can be considered an necessity"... so I walked...

What's the REAL option? Make a 90 degree turn in the crosswalk? Back up? leave the bike at the limit line, and go push the walk button?

Three cycles? Because the magnetic field of the bike changes? If it didn't trip, it probably won't...

Drop to neutral and drag the kickstand somewhere across the sensor loop. The movement of something ferrous across the loop sets up a magnetic induction. Aluminum kickstands don't work.

There is a "gray area" regarding left hand turns a red lights.

You cannot proceed against a round red light, period. But....

A red arrow is not a round red light, therefore, you can treat it like a yield under certain circumstances.

That is....there must be signage above an intersection stating "no turn on red". As long as it doesn't say "no turn on red" on the red arrow you are running, you can run it. You beat the ticket cause the signage is not posted there. Also, there must not be any traffic in the opposing lane for a reasonsable distance.

I did it in front of an Oceanside PO, and he let me drive away after I explained it to him. But, it will be the LEO's discretion on wether you get a ticket or not.

Another tip...demand a "Change of venue" to the county seat when he starts writing any ticket if you are outside San Diego city proper. He'll have to move the ticket from EC/Vista/or Southbay courthouse, to the courthouse on Clairemont mesa blvd. I have yet to have a cop show up from N. county, beating the ticket from lack of prosecution.

I've found that the book called "Fight your ticket and win" a valuable resource.

Along the same subject, if the signal does not recognize your bike. You should notify the agency in charge of that signal and they will try to adjust it acordingly. They have to recognize your bike. You pay to ride there, License fees & gas tax. :unsure: