Sign in to follow this  
DigDug

Big Bear / Arrowhead this weekend anyone?

I'm tossing around the idea of heading up to get some mountain riding in this weekend. They might get some weather this week, but so far, the weekend looks pretty nice. I'd be up for either Saturday or Sunday. Or - if enough people want to go both days, I might even be up for grabbing a motel and riding both days. I'd like to do some of the intermediate-plus trails up there and keep a fairly decent pace to get some miles in and scout the trails.

Maybe the 50 mile loop out of Pinnacles (if Devil's Hole is crossable - if not, then we'd have to backtrack adding more miles. That loop does a bunch of the nice roller-coaster quad trails right around pinnacles, Deep Creek, Dishpan Spring, Redonda Ridge, White Mountain, The only legal true singletrack left on the mountain down to Devil's Hole, then back to Pinnacles via a few more quad trails/fire-roads). I also have a pretty good loop out of Big Bear Lake that loops around the mountain and hits all the good trails over on that side (Gold Mountain, John Bull, Jacoby Canyon, Some OHV stuff at Cactus Flats, Heartbreak Ridge, with more options depending on time).

The Pinnacles loop is green-sticker legal (but a plated bike helps if we have to modify it at all due to time or other issues), the Big Bear Lake loop requires a plated bike. Anybody interested in one or both days? I'll post more details as we get takers and I can firm up a plan/loop.

-------------------Update Wed, 5/18, 10am------------------

Ok, it looks like its Crusty, me and possibly KTMRad so far. Here's the plan.

Meet up in North County around 7am on Saturday morning. (I'll post a more definite location soon - probably the park-n-ride at I-15 and highway 76, unless people want to meet at my place in Bonsall and carpool). Drive up to Pinnacles and ride the "Pinnacles-50" loop (or as much of it as we can - depending on trail conditions and the water level in Devil's Hole). It's about a 2 hour drive so we'll be there at 9 and riding shortly after if anyone wants to meet up there. (Again, I'll post more details on meeting location/directions for up there if people don't want to caravn). If we get done and still have riding time left, there's some other fun trails to play around on until we get tired or bored.

I have reservations at Motel-6 in Big Bear Lake for Saturday night.

Sunday morning, we'll meet up in Big Bear Lake and ride the "best-of" loop I talked about starting with Gold Mountain. I'm thinking, again, 9am start time if anyone wants to drive up that morning, earlier if it's just those of us staying up there. Again, I'll post some details on location/times/etc as the time gets closer.

Anybody else thinking about joining us?

----------------------Edit 5/19, 3:45pm----------------------------

For anyone that wants to caravan, plan on meeting at the park-n-ride at I-15 and highway 76 to be rolling by 7am on Saturday.

GOOGLE MAPS LINK

So far, nobody wants to caravan, so let me know, either by posting, or IMing, or we'll skip that stop. IF NOBODY LETS ME KNOW, WE WILL NOT PLAN ON STOPPING AT THE ABOVE LOCATION!

See later posts for directions to the Pinnacles staging area as well as maps/gps files for the rides.

Should I bother with a Sunday morning meetup location on the mountain or is nobody from here coming up for just Sunday?

Guest Crusty

I love intermediate-plus trails and love Big Bear.

I can stay and ride both days,

maybe get the other 2 Carl's "Badders"coolio.gif

SICVIC, johnnybags & Steve Dodds, to the white courtesy phone.

Sounds like fun, but I would just slow you guys down. There's alot of challenging terrain up there that I haven't even seen yet. Take lots of photos and post them up so I can drool. B)

Guest Crusty

You should go, we will have lots of fun.coolio.gif

Last weekend for the Renaissance Faire. I'll be partaaking in all kinds of drunken debochery.

ANd bike is going to Xr's Only for some fine tuning before the Big Bear Run.

Still looking for a couple 'hard way' riding partners.

I'll offer my house up to whoever wants to stay here this weekend but it's in a bit of dis-array as I am packing and moving out end of May.

Crusty, thanks for the invite.

Doug,

Have fun on those Testosterone Trails. Point of information: How would you rank the White Mountain climb traveling east from the junction of 3N11 north of Barton Flats? My recollection, having slid down it in a westerly direction, is a good deal of loose shale with a few twists. Kinda compares with the first climb west on Redonda Ridge. No sweat, I imagine.

Dave

A Medium Soft Way guy

862632465_8pwU7-L.jpg

How would you rank the White Mountain climb traveling east from the junction of 3N11 north of Barton Flats? My recollection, having slid down it in a westerly direction, is a good deal of loose shale with a few twists. Kinda compares with the first climb west on Redonda Ridge. No sweat, I imagine.

Actually, I kind of think going up it is easier than going down. The bike is more stable and takes the glances off the rocks better under power for me than when trying to keep my speed down braking downhill. As long as I have traction, I much prefer to go uphill - and White Mountain has pretty good traction as long as you keep your momentum rolling.

Any plans set yet ??

I might be up for this, doesn't look like I'll be heading all the way up to Tehachapi for Damon's b-day ride/BBQ.

Any plans set yet ??

I might be up for this, doesn't look like I'll be heading all the way up to Tehachapi for Damon's b-day ride/BBQ.

Nothing concrete, I was waiting to see what the intrest level was. My thinking so far is to leave early Saturday and do the Pinnacles ride on Saturday. Then check into Motel 6 in Big Bear Lake Saturday evening and get up, meet up with any one-dayers to do a loop on the other side of the mountain on Sunday.

I'm just hoping to get some mountain miles in this weekend and enjoy the cooler weather up there. My next two weekends are shot with other riding commitments and the BBTR run is coming up.

My thoughts so far, if this happens and if you'll be riding on Sunday, is to go up Friday night to Tehachapi, ride Saturday morning with all the people at Damon's BBQ/party (I'll know a lot of people there from the old days of dualsport), then drive down to Big Bear Saturday night, maybe share a room with you, then ride Sunday and head home Sunday night.

This is a maybe right now.

Guest Crusty

Hey Doug I can ride both days, I called Steve this morning he wants to ride 1 day.

Is it O K. with you.

I will be taking it easy on my 680L.

If you don't want to ride with us, I understand.coolio.gif

Hey Doug I can ride both days, I called Steve this morning he wants to ride 1 day.

Is it O K. with you.

I will be taking it easy on my 680L.

If you don't want to ride with us, I understand.coolio.gif

Sounds like a plan! That all sounds good, I'd be glad to have you along.

I have a room reserved at Motel 6 in Big Bear Lake that I may be sharing with KTMRad if he can make it ($50 per night).

I also added an update to the first post with a more-concrete riding plan. I'll update with locations/times as we iron out the details.

Should be a great weekend on the mountain!

Guest Crusty

Sounds good. Can you post directions to Sat. mornings meeting spot." Pinnacles" I will leave early and meet you there.

I have reservations at Motel-6 in Big Bear Lake for Saturday night.

Guest Crusty

Is this correct Doug.

3840 Garfield St

Carlsbad, CA 92008

transparent.png

Head southeast on Garfield St towardRedwood Ave331 ft

Take the 2nd left onto Tamarack Ave0.6 mi

Turn left to merge onto I-5 N toward Los Angeles1.8 mi

Take exit 51B to merge onto CA-78 E towardEscondido16.3 mi

Take exit 17B to merge onto I-15 N towardRiverside31.6 mi

Slight right onto I-215 N (signs forRiverside/San Bernardino)34.8 mi

Take exit 34B to merge onto I-215 N towardSan Bernardino/Barstow10.8 mi

Slight right onto CA-259 N (signs forHighland/CA-30 E/Mountain Resorts)1.3 mi

Take the exit onto I-210 E0.9 mi

Take exit 76 for CA-18/Waterman Ave0.2 mi

Turn left onto CA-18 N/N Waterman AveContinue to follow CA-18 N14.2 mi

Turn left onto Lake Gregory Dr131 ft

Take the 1st right onto CA-189 E/Squirrel Inn RdContinue to follow CA-189 E1.1 mi

Turn right to stay on CA-189 E1.0 mi

Turn right to stay on CA-189 E0.6 mi

Turn left onto Grass Valley Rd1.9 mi

Turn left to stay on Grass Valley Rd0.9 mi

Turn left onto N Grass Valley Rd495 ft

Turn left to stay on N Grass Valley Rd0.8 mi

Turn left onto Grass Valley Rd0.3 mi

Turn right onto N Grass Valley Rd0.3 mi

Turn left onto CA-173 W0.9 m

Should be a great weekend on the mountain!

This week has been ugly, snow, rain, wind, 20's, 30's.......................

Cool on Saturday and slight chance of rain Sunday.

I'd love to ride but I will heading 'down' the hill to the Renaissance Faire and window shoppojng for a new GPS. (early Father's Day gift)

Is this correct Doug.

That looks pretty close. Here are the directions I usually put in the threads and they seem to work pretty well for getting to Pinnacles:

Note, you will need an Adventure Pass to park up there.

If anyone wants to meet up at the Pinnacles staging area, here are the directions:

•Drive north on I-15 to I-215 (don't miss the exit in Riverside to stay on I-215).

•Drive north on I-215 to Highway 210.

•Go east on Highway 210 to SR 18 (Waterman Avenue) in San Bernardino. Exit the freeway and turn left (north).

•Drive north on SR 18 up the mountain to Daley Canyon Road about 5.5 miles east of the Crestline SR 138 turnoff. Turn left (north) on Daley Canyon Road. Note your odometer and go as follows:

•At 0.5 mile, junction with SR 189. Turn left.

•At 0.8 mile, fork. Go right and then immediately left onto Grass Valley Road.

•At 2.8 miles, fork with Grass Valley Road on the left. Turn left.

•At 5.3 miles, intersection with SR 173. Turn left.

•At 5.5 miles, intersection with Pilot Rock Road (2N33). Keep going straight.

•Continue on SR 173 about 0.7 mile to the entrance of a rifle range. Just past the rifle range, take a right on Willow Creek Jeep Trail (dirt road). Pinnacles staging area is on your right a couple hundred yards down.

GPS coordinates for the entrance to Pinnacles Staging Area: N 34° 17.89' W 117° 11.98'

If anyone is on the fence for Saturday, but wants to caravan up, let me know and I'll post a meeting location in north county.

The plan is to be rolling by about 7am and up to the Pinnacles staging area by 9am.

This week has been ugly, snow, rain, wind, 20's, 30's.......................

Cool on Saturday and slight chance of rain Sunday.

I'd love to ride but I will heading 'down' the hill to the Renaissance Faire and window shoppojng for a new GPS. (early Father's Day gift)

Hey johnnybags, have you or anyone you know of been down to Devil's Hole yet this spring and know if it's crossable yet? We can always poke our noses down there on the way out so we know if it's good to cross on the way back, but it's a little off the loop I like to ride.

Hey johnnybags, have you or anyone you know of been down to Devil's Hole yet this spring and know if it's crossable yet? We can always poke our noses down there on the way out so we know if it's good to cross on the way back, but it's a little off the loop I like to ride.

I believe KKug and Don Johnson rode to Deep Creek 2 weekes back on DsFox's birthday......?? That would put them 'close' to Devil's Hole.

Doug and Craig, Devil's Hole might be too deep to cross.....guess we'll see when we get there.

Guy on D37 Dualsport forum said 3 weeks ago it was too deep.

Doug and Craig, Devil's Hole might be too deep to cross.....guess we'll see when we get there.

Guy on D37 Dualsport forum said 3 weeks ago it was too deep.

Especially in light of the rain we've had this last week.

Guest Crusty

I am packed and ready to roll. My cat "Mimi" want's to go too.

CCandBigBear5-21-2011009.jpg

The car and bike are also packed. I can't wait.

CCandBigBear5-21-2011010.jpg