Metal Twister

ktm lc4 fork seals leaking again

I know it is a regular problem to have fork seal go bad on these things, but give me a brake! I have gone thru 3 sets in the last year. I have tried the heavy duty ssuuppeerr duty ones, stock ones, and I am running out of options. I have checked for nicks, cracks and scratches. Changed oil weights, even had the shop touch my bike last time and for me thats a no no. The only thing I can think of is that I have pulled it down tight with the tie downs a couple of times. Could that pop the seals? Any input would be appreciated. I love everything about the bike except this nagging issue. Thanx Oh yea, its an 02 LC4

Don't know bout ktm's, but honda has air adjustment atop the forks.

If you change elevation/temp the pressure can change. Then with increased air pressure and a hard hit or long periods of being tied down can cause seal falure. Some companies sell balance tubes and vents to stabilize the pressure. Fork boots also protect from sand eating at the seals.

My 2 cents.

I know it is a regular problem to have fork seal go bad on these things, but give me a brake! I have gone thru 3 sets in the last year. Oh yea, its an 02 LC4

3 sets in a year ?!! Something's got to be wrong. I damaged a seal in the first year on my 640 LC4, fixed it and put on fork protector boots, have never had another seal go bad in 7 years.

Did you check the inner bushings to make sure they're OK....if they're bad, the outter fork seal may not hold the oil back.

KTMs don't have the air adjustment, so max compression is regulated by the volume of oil in the tube. Carguy is right, if you have too much oil in the tube, a hard hit could blow a seal. Also, the pumping action could cause pressure build-up. Try opening the pressure release screw on top of the caps after a ride and see if a bunch of air escapes? Other than that, :ph34r::D I own 3 1/2 KTM and I've never had a problem.

KTMs don't have the air adjustment, so max compression is regulated by the volume of oil in the tube. Carguy is right, if you have too much oil in the tube, a hard hit could blow a seal. Also, the pumping action could cause pressure build-up. Try opening the pressure release screw on top of the caps after a ride and see if a bunch of air escapes? Other than that, :ph34r::D I own 3 1/2 KTM and I've never had a problem.
I have never opened those screws up! I wasnt even sure exactly what they did?

Are they to relieve pressure from pump, heat, or elevation change? I am glad to here that you hav'nt had the the same problems. Sure appreciate the help, I will get some more seal this week and install them next weekend. I will double check every-thing. A Visual inspection is the only thing can do, right? is there another way to check the seals and outer bushings. I will triple check the oil level this time! I do tend to Bounce off things pretty hard now and then, if theres not a burm you have to use what you got ,right? Thanks for the input.