http://www.rei.com/product/805907

Chris,

Sounds like you are replacing your GPS, once again. While inspecting the the REI site, it shows a new antenna attachment,,,mmm. I know you and Doug prefer the 76, but I doubt that unit has the new and improved screen, memory and software.

Can you tell my how hard it is to use your old Topo CD on a new unit. Does Garmin block download to a second unit?

Looks like the 78 series has the updated specs.

Can you tell my how hard it is to use your old Topo CD on a new unit. Does Garmin block download to a second unit?[/size][/font]

If you have the old US topo, there is no restriction to the number of units you can install the maps on. I'm not sure about the newer topo maps. Same thing with Roads & Rec if you use that.

I was looking at upgrading. I really like the Oregon series with the touch-screen, larger track size(10,000 points), more tracks(200 saved tracks), custom maps (wouldn't it be cool to have your Anza Borrego map on your screen with your cursor on the trails?), etc, but I'm a little concerned (maybe unfounded) about the power connection. Number one, I'd have to re-purchase and install power cables for the bikes (as well as a new Ram cradle - no big deal really. I know, I'm just lazy). My main concern is that on all these new models, Garmin has removed the big, waterproof power/data cable and replaced them with just a mini-USB jack for power (if I understand the specs correctly). I'm not sure that's the best/most rugged/waterproof connection for dual-sport use.

Anybody gone through this? Any "hands on" tests with a mini USB power connection on a "well used" dualsport bike?

I was looking at upgrading. I really like the Oregon series with the touch-screen, larger track size(10,000 points), more tracks(200 saved tracks), custom maps (wouldn't it be cool to have your Anza Borrego map on your screen with your cursor on the trails?), etc, but I'm a little concerned (maybe unfounded) about the power connection. Number one, I'd have to re-purchase and install power cables for the bikes (as well as a new Ram cradle - no big deal really. I know, I'm just lazy). My main concern is that on all these new models, Garmin has removed the big, waterproof power/data cable and replaced them with just a mini-USB jack for power (if I understand the specs correctly). I'm not sure that's the best/most rugged/waterproof connection for dual-sport use.

Anybody gone through this? Any "hands on" tests with a mini USB power connection on a "well used" dualsport bike?

I’ve had conversations with the resident D37 GPS geek, Dan, and I think there are other issues with the new 62/78 series besides external power connections......I thought he mentioned something about all tracks being the same color when downloaded from a computer file......not a major ordeal to change the colors but a bit of an unnecessary annoyance.....I'll be getting myself educated on the other differences in more detail.....

Just got an RMA from Garmin this morning since I've managed to break yet another 60CSx (I think moisture penetrated the antenna seal during our Death Valley ride....it’s been cracked for a while from an earlier biff)......another $110 out the window for my 4th (?) replacement 60CSx......if I wasn't such a cheap SOB I'd just bite the bullet and upgrade to a 76CSx.....but alas I AM a cheap SOB so another 60 is on its way......

Well, Dug, the problem with the 76 units is your hand gets inthe way when you're pressing the buttons torch.gif

I’ve had conversations with the resident D37 GPS geek, Dan, and I think there are other issues with the new 62/78 series besides external power connections......I thought he mentioned something about all tracks being the same color when downloaded from a computer file......not a major ordeal to change the colors but a bit of an unnecessary annoyance.....I'll be getting myself educated on the other differences in more detail.....

Just got an RMA from Garmin this morning since I've managed to break yet another 60CSx (I think moisture penetrated the antenna seal during our Death Valley ride....it’s been cracked for a while from an earlier biff)......another $110 out the window for my 4th (?) replacement 60CSx......if I wasn't such a cheap SOB I'd just bite the bullet and upgrade to a 76CSx.....but alas I AM a cheap SOB so another 60 is on its way......

It's strange how Garmin works sometimes. When I tore off mt 2nd antenna the lady on the phone told me I was out of luck. I called back a week later and a other lady gave me an RMA # and I had a new 60 CSx a week later at no charge. So if you don't like the answer they give you the 1st time just try again.

Covered in Tracks

Talked with the REI guy at the counter. He doesnt think the 62 is worth an upgrade if you have the 60.

78s antenna is "patch" vs "quad helix" for 60 & 62. No idea if that is significant.

The usb power cord bothers me. Tho not like I would bend if off. 78 seems a larger device to hang.

Why are these things so expensive?

I get the Rhinos for people for $250 (I make no money)... they have the radio and all the trciks of this one...

I get the Rhinos for people for $250 (I make no money)... they have the radio and all the trciks of this one...

just curious, rhino are you talking about at that price?

I'll be getting myself educated on the other differences in more detail.....

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=617828

If you're starting from scratch - "I" still think a 76cx is the best way to go........especially now that they're available for ~$200 or less.....

The ADVRider thread posted above has a lot of good info on the new 62/78 series units......the posts by Jerry Counts are most significant (to me).......

No viable external power connector on 62 - so "I" wouldn't even consider it.....

There IS an external power connector on the 78, BUT, from what I understand, all track color coding (by you or a promoter) is lost when you download tracks from your computer to a 62/78 :wacko: ......so the work put into color coding by an event promoter will be lost once downloaded to a customer <_< .....and the customer will be left trying to figure out what the names were of the tracks he just received since he won't be able to see them on a map.....and a few other/minor issues with firmware.....

Bottom line (to me) is there are lot's of VERY cool features on the new 62/78 series units.........but the 62 is useless for dualsport without a viable external power connection and neither the 62 or 78 seem to be very "user friendly" (or ride promoter friendly).......which is a shame........Garmin had a great opportunity and they blew it.....just my opinion from what I've been able to read about the 62/78 units thus far

Garmin Rino 530hcx

I buy them from surplus and sell then for exactly what I pay for them sometimes I can get them for $200 each, but usually I get them for about $250.