SICVIC

Ride Otay on Thursday morning

Is this a place that would be suitable for a newbie? If so would anyone mind giving me directions to it or showing me around. (if weather permits)

Open for suggestions. Thanks

Is this a place that would be suitable for a newbie? If so would anyone mind giving me directions to it or showing me around. (if weather permits)

Open for suggestions. Thanks

absolutely suitable for a newbie! DO watch your speed, as there are plenty of blind corners, and BP and others coming the opposite way... safest/easiest is probably to enter next to the Thousand trails store... go up the hill on the West

Do not go "down" anything you aren't SURE you can go back "up"

Take your time, enjoy the scenery and take lots of pictures... breadcrumb your GPS if you have one

Take down some numbers for extraction if you have people

It's a great place for a newbie, even if you have to go alone. You really can't get lost and it's heavily travelled by Border Patrol.

Start at the Thousand Trails Campground general store on Otay Lakes Rd. The Minnewawa Truck Trail starts in the West corner of the lot. Keep the speed and noise low until you get out of sight of the campground and then enjoy yourself. Try not to get distracted by the incredible views from Otay Mt. Stop often, take pictures. You'll have great time.

Ok, I found it on the map. Still would like someone to tag along with. Thanks for the safty advice and recommendations. I guess the only other advice I need is for the parking situation. (where to park and is pass required)

The camera will be locked and loaded! Many a photos to be had :)

I normally "pyro" over there (tm sandiegoland), but have seen people park on the west side of the store or across the street

When I park there, I always go over to the store, buy something, ask if I can park and give them seaworld tickets...but I'm weird that way

I always buy food if I use a fast food restroom too...

Or gas if I ask directions...

Etc. I'm weird, I know

I have to work, but if I was off, I would go help you get lost (not that you can really get lost- you just might exit where you didn't enter)

wish i could escape the asylum too, SICVIC, but alas not to happen...

the guys are pretty right on with the advice, i did the trail first time on Super Bowl Sunday...MUCH needed.

if you go over the top of the mountain, you will be headed towards Alta Rd, out by Donovan State Prison...near the 905

EASY(*says me :unsure::ph34r: )riding up there... just pay attention to the speed and the corners..and the beauty!!!

B)...let us know how it went too!!

Let's see.... A prison, Border Patrol, watching my speed, not going down any hills I can't get back up and taking along several emergency numbers to call....

Good thing I didn't post for an intermediate ride!!!!!!!!

Wahooooooo

Sorry I can't help out- I'm typically eager to help show a noob around, especially at Otay. Just ask Blind about it : )

But work/family calls.

Maybe next time....

Sicvic, Hey are you heading down there from N. County ? I was going to ride Palomar Mtn TT Tomorrow but it looks like its going to snow and rain for the next 48 hours up there. Never ridden Otay before so I'd be just as lost but if you want a riding buddy I'd be up for it. On duty today so I dont get off work until 8 AM tomorrow, if thats too late for you Maybe Ill catch you next time.

If you want to go up the west side here are the direction.

-Head east on 905

-Once past the 125 stay in the left hand lane and continue east.

-The road will dead end at Alta Road with a stop sign go left.

-You will see a power plant on your ride hand side heading toward the prison.

-At northern boundry of power plant there will be a road go right.

-At end of road there is a gate that is usually opened during the day that is used by the border patrol.

-Once on dirt head north to the main road then make a right at main junction and head up the mountain.

Once you reach the summit you will have two additional route that you can take back down.

-#1 is the north road which will take you down to thousand trails down onto Otay Lakes Road.

-#2 east road will take you down to Marrion Valley Road once at the bottom of the hill make a Left on Marrion Valley which will lead you HWY 94.

All of these roads are about the same difficulty rating and have similar terrian. If you want additional information to extend the ride farther east of Marrion Valley road out toward Tectate let me know and I will provide some tracks for you.

Have fun and be safe if you decide to ride it again let me know and I'll join us. I live about 15 minutes away in Chula Vista.

Andrew

I am not sure on what time you are thinking about doing the ride but I work right on the border Down that way I will be getting off work around 1pm and could ride with you if its not to late. I have never riden that place either but would really like to check it out.

Hello everyone. I'm going to be there at 0900. (thousand trails) I will check the forums again in the morning to see if anyone else reads this and wants to or can show up.I'm open during the weekdays to ride so please keep me in mind for future mellow rides. Remember; this kid is new to this. Again, thanks for all the advice. I'll be checking again in the morning just in case someone can show.

Hey all...

Well I made it. Bummer that no one could show. I pulled off the solo world tour with zero hitches. Had a great time out there.

Thanks for all the advice; I had a really good time.

See ya

I may go to the same areas friday or sunday morning. how was it out on the trail?

I may go to the same areas friday or sunday morning. how was it out on the trail?

Super sorry about the bogus late reply to your question. It's Monday now.....

I'm just learning my way around this site and computers in general. I did not see the second pages. My bad!!!!

My 1st time to Otay. I really only found fire road to ride on. I did 55 miles of that. Sorta dangerous out there with all the Boarder Patrol Agents driving around. I was going super slow and they would come whipping around the corners not expecting me at all. I crossed about 20 vehicles and maybe 50 agents. They were all friendly so that was good I guess.

The Ladies in the Thousand Trails general store were super sweet!!!! Of course I was nice in return; after all, I was using their parking lot.

I had fun but felt it was a little boaring. The views and photos were off the charts. Crazy beautiful.

Hope you did get to ride and sorry again for the late response. I'll work on that!

Keep me in mind for a ride somewhere along the way!