Sign in to follow this  
Bagstr

Fuel Filter Maintenance = F.I. Bikes - Link

Good ideas guys...thanks for sharing!

Second try for this additional info to the above post, to further bullet proof your F.I. system with added filter efficiency.

Robert,

After watching Ty's video,  I can see why you are working for this guy.  Quite a contrast to the personality to Slavens for example.

Yah,  I guess that Zip Ty filter is a good idea..   And replacing the in-tank filter at 5k miles. 

Thanks, Dave

Ty also has an in the tank filter as well....but most guys I know settle for this set up.

BTW aerospace uses these metal screen/mesh type filters as well. I still say its a good idea to have a backup clean injector in your long range trail pack, kind of like carrying an extra spark plug.

On 2/19/2018 at 5:09 PM, Bagstr said:

Looking over this Old discussion, I found that many of these issues are still relevant. In this time of Isolation, I am going through many long term maintenance projects. 

Important Topics in this piece.

1. Use Fresh Gas -  Ethanol only lasts a few weeks before breaking down.   I  believe untreated old gas was the cause of my motor failure. 

" Gas that has gone bad.  Gasoline goes bad over time – especially gasoline with Ethanol.  Ethanol has a very short shelf life – only a few weeks.  As it ages, it absorbs moisture from the air and forms water particles that collect in the bottom of the tank (near the fuel pump intake) and leaves behind white crystal deposits that can damage your system.  If your bike will be sitting for more than a few weeks, always add some stabilizer or Star Tron and keep your tank full. "

2. Clean the Injector periodically

Fuel residue that builds up over time.  This is normal, which is why the manufacturer recommends periodic cleaning or replacing of the injector "

3. Replace fuel filters periodically

" If you bike starts running lean (gets hot, looses power, or pops on deceleration), that may be an indication that one of your filters is getting clogged – or perhaps the injector. "

That filter looks like it could fit carb bikes as well.

Thoughts on the popular Lucas Fuel Injector Cleaner / Upper Cylinder Lubricant?

Well, Update November 2021: Slavens is retiring a complete KTM fuel pump package for $220.

I have it installed and using my serviced original as back-up. The gear looks of the same quality as factory. The customer service guy tells me the filter in German. I have a Wix standing by.

0692FA74-F3E4-4FED-85D1-09DE98CCD8FB.jpeg

839E1A90-F521-4A4A-92BB-2B5AAE37D9B6.jpeg

25D412CB-3952-412D-8C9D-755E74291C9C.jpeg

956164CD-1F25-49D6-89DA-6BAF1AC5C60C.jpeg