Sign in to follow this  
amgems

Knee Braces

I want to start riding with knee braces.

Last 2 minor get offs: I tweaked the right knee. Then it healed up and I tweaked the left knee. I think there is a message there somewhere...

Are there types that are better suited to all day dual sport riding rather than motocross?

Do they wear out the inside of the expensive Klim pants?

In learning mode, any info appreciated. Thanks !

Nobody wears knee braces?

On ADV Rider a lot of folks like Pod.

I have worn the Asterisk Cell for about 6 years now, maybe more.  Mine have the "web" backing.  See here.  The newer models come in either strap back or boa closure.  Asterisk's web page is here.    

I like mine a lot.  They are not the most comfortable, but not uncomfortable and the sense of protection you cannot put a price on.  I've taken a few diggers and they have definitely provided protection that otherwise would have been a potential disaster (sides of knee and patella).  Nothing crazy but normal falls and bumps up against rocks, etc.  I have worn them all day (6+ hours) riding trails in Moab without feeling like I needed to get them off because of comfort issues.  They are easy on/off so no issue with throwing them on for short rides as well.

I haven't really researched and compared the various other models out there, and I know there are a number.  I can't tell you whether the Cells are better, worse or more, or less comfortable.  I would recommend the Cells to anyone without hesitation.

Also, Asterisk offers replacement of web backing and tune up for my older model for under $100, so you can replace worn/torn webs, laces, eyelets, etc. every couple years or as needed and have a pair of braces that will last you almost forever.  I would imagine they do the same for the newer models as well.

Hope this is helpful.  Not a lot of diverse information, but at least some!

Safe rides!

** Edit --  I see that Asterisk is sold out of most models on the website.  Seems I also recall a shop telling me that Asterisk will no longer sell through retail outlets.  Soooo...  They might be difficult to find.  I will try to confirm.

I used Asterisk for a number of years, they even do customer rebuilds, good company, good product. I just kept mine too long so when I sent them in.......they siad they were beyond reasonable repair, which I totally agreed with, no worries they were at the end of stress life Im sure.

Then I used PodMx which for me were more comfortable, but my Asterisks were early gen model. Anyway I blew up my Pod in a Tecate hare scramble , the carbon fibre section under the kneee hinge broke and splintered  TOTALLY SAVING MY LOWER LEG. I hit a hidden full size tree log at speed the Pod was sacrificial , I actually repaired it ok with epoxy and gorilla tape and they last a while after.

Now I wear simple Thor sort of knee braces

I have blown ACL in my left knee, but it has never bothered me much, the knee braces were there to prevent hyper flex and more damage for both knees, but over the years I felt they were just best at giving my knees a cage of protection more from impacts (read the podmx thing)  so as the Pods finally were put out to trash I went back to high grade knee guards Thor brand.

if considering also look at the local brand engineered with Ryan Villopoto as their test pilot development guy. Mobius X8     Rev5 uses them they look really good, he loves them. 

Thanks for the great info guys!

From what I have seen all these mentioned are getting high marks. Based on completely non-scientific, Really should be working, instead of researching knee braces at work, research, the top reviews like: 1.Pod 2. Mobius, 3. Asterik

There are some others that are really good at saving the knee joint but don't protect from impact. More for other sports maybe? Donjoy and CTI. Big Buck$

In my extensive "research" I have read that the Leatt one hinge did not work as good as the others mentioned. Didn't fit and stay up well.

I think the benefit is that the brace limits the amount of movement of the knee joint specifically. Then, the energy that would force the joint past it's limits gets distributed out to the mounting points of the brace above and below the joint. Some say we should wear them, some say no. My knees must be getting weaker. Hurt my knees in two minor little tumbles. One time I was standing still. I think any extra support there will help this old fart. The hurt was right in the joint itself.

just like neck braces there are many pros and cons and hundreds of opinions from experts to non-experts. only you can decide in the end what you want to use. Just FYI at this moment if I was going that knee brace route, it would be 1Mobius,2Pod,3 Asterisk...for no other reason than that I never tried the Mobius brand yet.

more FYI these are what I have been using with high marks for a few years now (on my second pair now) purchased from C&D cycles support the local. These sort of bridge the gap between high end/priced knee braces and simple knee pads , they come with a hinge system and do add some minor level of stability for hyper extend prevention.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/829/18616/Thor-Force-Knee-Guards

I wear EVS TUG under gear "pants" for a great base layer, compression, padded, and anti chafe. And it looks like EVS is into the top tier knee brace market as well. EVS is great ergo/medical/R&D level sports wear company

The thor knee pad/braces do look nice robert might have to check those out

I like the pod mx k300 they were comfortable for short rides. On the loger rides they would start to bug. So I found a company called Mobius. The mobius knee braces are so comfortable that I sold the pods. Mobius is coming out with wrist braces soon too. Same idea as the knee braces with the ratched system. The designer engineer lives in la mesa and is super stoked on explaining how everything works and what they are working on for future products.  

47 minutes ago, REV5 said:

I like the pod mx k300 they were comfortable for short rides. On the loger rides they would start to bug. So I found a company called Mobius. The mobius knee braces are so comfortable that I sold the pods. Mobius is coming out with wrist braces soon too. Same idea as the knee braces with the ratched system. The designer engineer lives in la mesa and is super stoked on explaining how everything works and what they are working on for future products.  

"if considering also look at the local brand engineered with Ryan Villopoto as their test pilot development guy. Mobius X8     Rev5 uses them they look really good, he loves them."  from my post above, glad you weighed in this.

2 hours ago, Bp619 said:

The thor knee pad/braces do look nice robert might have to check those out

Note: On these Thors the knee cap portion is a solid hard plastic with material over it and padding inside it, just wanted to say because in the picture its hard to tell if the material is soft or hard, and it looks like they are discontinued/closeout--mine were closer to $100 a pair, so the deal is good now

Thanks guys !

I've narrowed down my choices to either the Mobius X8 or the Pod MX K4

Gonna have to try 'em on and see how they feel. Pod looks a little better ventilated.

They have both at NCY

Ended up with the Pod. Wore the Mobius for a while at home and after about 15 -20 minutes I noticed there was a piece digging into my leg. Mobius customer support was very responsive. They offered some suggestions (that didn't work) on Sunday evening via email. NCY was gracious and exchanged the Mobius for the Pod.  More comfy. Good idea to take these home and wear 'em for a while. 5 minutes at the store isn't enough. For me the Pod felt like it fits better and has better air flow. Next up is actually riding with 'em.