carguy

I need a new GPS

My power supply switch for my garmin etrex vista ended up toasting my unit. It moved from 3v to 12v and the black and white display had some cool colors and quit. Pretty sure it's toast.

Anyway I was looking for a better display.

Is the 60CSx the inexpencive answer at about $199?

The Garmin Rino 520HCX looks cool too for a few more bucks with a 5w radio.

Any input? :huh:

Is the 60CSx the inexpencive answer at about $199?

The Garmin Rino 520HCX looks cool too for a few more bucks with a 5w radio.

Any input? :huh:

All kinds of input here... ;)

60CSx is a GREAT unit, and at $199 can't be beat (IMO)

... don't get the 76, as your fingers get in the way when you push buttons and need to see the screen.

Getting a Rino, is putting "all your eggs in one basket", again IMO.

I separate my comm from my GPS, by using a good 2M HAM radio... and a 60CSx. Lose batteries on one, only half of your "system is down". :rolleyes:

... adding to it, it limits you to GMRS/FRS only.

you can still order the 60csx from costco for 199... Amazon is 199 OTD....

you can still order the 60csx from costco for 199... Amazon is 199 OTD....

I have an eTrex. Tells me which way is north, where I am, where the car and 150 other things are. No bells nor whistles. $89 at wal-mart.

I am able to to get the Rhino530HcX for a pretty damned good price (usually around $300, and I sell them at cost)

I like having the radio more for NOAA info, (I still carry my Ham) and the really cool tool, if I get seperated from P1 she just stops and hits the PTT button, I can then use the track back feature to find her with no effort at all. The color screen and ability to load maps on them are nice tools also.

Like I said, I can get them for about $300 new or $250ish used and sell them at my cost.

I'm not a GPS guru, but the 60csx gets a lot of votes, and that's what I'm using....has a good screen, does what you need. Get the ram mount, as others have mentioned.

Thanks for the input, went with the 60Csx ram mount and 12v adapter.

When you figure out how to use the friggin thing, please send me a primer.

Thanks for the input, went with the 60Csx ram mount and 12v adapter.

... don't get the 76, as your fingers get in the way when you push buttons and need to see the screen.

Let's put this myth to bed....

I've been using a 76CSx for 2 or 3 years now, and was using (still have actually) a 76CS for 3 or 4 years before that. I have NEVER had trouble pushing the buttons and seeing the screen. I hear the above comment from 60-series users mostly.

In the truck:

20110228170437809.jpg

Handheld mode:

20110228170502544.jpg

On the bike:

20110228170825793.jpg

This is the natural way to work the device - like a TV remote. Nice big buttons, eash to work with gloves on. Power button on the front face...

The best part of the 76 series is the mount. Total wrap-around Ram mount, very bulletproof. My son flipped his bike, landing on the GPS, and the Ram ball broke, but the GPS didn't release from the holder.

Look ma... no zip ties!!!

20110228170852793.jpg

Also, the all-in-one casing (aka, no external antenna to get grabbed and snapped off by your brake line) is nice too:

60csx.jpg

To each their own. I fell into the 76 series by luck, actually. I got a great deal on one long before I got into dual-sporting and it just happened to work nicely on two wheels too!

You can pick one up from West Marine for the same $199 (currently on sale)

SDAR thread on 76Cx on sale

West Marine's site

And no, you don't need the 's' (sensors) model for dual-sporting (plenty of threads already out there on that).

Also, the all-in-one casing (aka, no external antenna to get grabbed and snapped off by your brake line) is nice too:

60csx.jpg

I keep seeing people with this problem... I don't know why...

When the suspension "works" that brake line is gonna raise then lower. I saw this to be problem as soon as I began to mount it the first time, so I just slid it over to the side 4 inches.

You are right about the 76csx Doug. I have had one for several years now. I bought it to replace my early Garmin GPS 12 for my boat (so I wouldn't have to rely upon a sextant). The 76csx floats. I also use it with my Jeep and Honda XL in Page. The Garmin handlebar mount is also very solid. It has pins that lock it into place. I have a 60csx also but there is definitely nothing wrong with the 76csx.

I've been using a 76CSx for 2 or 3 years now, and was using (still have actually) a 76CS for 3 or 4 years before that. I have NEVER had trouble pushing the buttons and seeing the screen. I hear the above comment from 60-series users mostly.

Of course, as you said... to each his own.;)

... anytime I'm riding, I don't have my hand positioned as you do over the GPS. I usually use my forefinger, and again... WHEN RIDING my hand IS IN THE WAY of the screen. I used to use a 76 (given to me by my father) and couldn't stand it. Sold it almost immediately simply due to the screen being below the buttons. If I had the 76, I too would love to shoot some pictures and show you that the problem is not a myth whatsoever (and maybe some users reviews might help too?!) :rolleyes:

And of course, the absence of the external antenna is a great solution to the 60's problem. But again, I don't have that problem as I used common sense BEFORE I mounted my 60.... and put it to the far right of the handlebar where the brake line doesn't interfere. Often, I see GPS's about 1' higher than the bars... and "in your face". If thats what floats your boat... so be it, but man... in a crash, or what have ya... they become missiles and end up in the bushes somewhere (hence the use of a tether is a great idea too). Those with broken antennas on a 60... learn quickly what the solution is, and if they are near me (before a ride for example)... they learn before they have the problem.

Both GREAT GPSs... but, depending on who and how you are using them, depends on which one works best for "YOU".

This is the natural way to work the device - like a TV remote. Nice big buttons, eash to work with gloves on. Power button on the front face...

The best part of the 76 series is the mount. Total wrap-around Ram mount, very bulletproof. My son flipped his bike, landing on the GPS, and the Ram ball broke, but the GPS didn't release from the holder.

Look ma... no zip ties!!!

To each their own. I fell into the 76 series by luck, actually. I got a great deal on one long before I got into dual-sporting and it just happened to work nicely on two wheels too!

You can pick one up from West Marine for the same $199 (currently on sale)

SDAR thread on 76Cx on sale

West Marine's site

And no, you don't need the 's' (sensors) model for dual-sporting (plenty of threads already out there on that).

I had one of the original 76's. It wasn't the gpsmap model, but it served me well during my time in Africa and I never had a problem manipulating the buttons and seeing the screen.