SCHWINN

Memories- Where did everything go.

From a semi hijacked post about bars came a reference on the SD Wild Animal Park's WGASA Bush Line and the great story surrounding the naming of the tram.

here's my take on it:

In the early '80s I was a member of the SD Zoological society. Okay, the then wife was, and I was added as an afterthought. ANYway.. she and I did a "society members only" tour of the Wild Animal park. One of the tidbits that the tour people shared with us was the "real" story of the naming of WGASA. Apparently so much time was spent figuring out names for everything else that in the rush of getting ready for the grand opening, they had forgotten to name the ONE thing that they hoped pretty much everybody would use. At the "employee meeting" on the subject, someone was heard to say, "Who Gives A Shyt Anyway." Acronym was immediately approved and the rest ...

Those of us that were here when it opened will remember that it wasn't nearly as nice as it is now. LOTS of bare dirt, stark enclosures, and the now beautiful trees were mere saplings.

W

G

A

S

A

Yup. Story in the "Reader" weekly a few years back claimed that the engineers who designed the monorail were given the opportunity to name the system after suffering from numerous changes in design stages. The engineers reportedly chose "WGASA" and the PR department ooohed and aaahhhed over the African-sounding name. It allegedly went to press and was made official before the meaning behind the "name" was learned.

OK..You got my attn..Lets hear it.

The grand opening of the 805 - mass of bike riders crossing the bridge?

oh, HELL yes! Every time I drive over or under that bridge. It was mayhem- bloodied riders all over. They didn't think the hill was so steep.

Until they fell down.

Born in Quintard Hospital, 1630 A street.

Rode the flats up on Kearney Mesa.

Climbing over the fence at the Armory by Kearney hi and getting into the tanks.

ect......

Wow... lots of memories here.

... I love reading them, as some bring back BIG memories of similar or same places/events.

Steve, I went to school with Holly Crower and Brian Crower of Crower Cams.

Add to that, JT-Racing and the daughter... her name was... uhhh... shoot, I should've remembered... I had a big crush. Ronda I think? But we all rode in JT gear.

Palm Ave; the Pits. road jump, the walls

Miramar riding with my dad.

Proctor Valley Dove hunting with my dad.

Rokon Trailbreaker fun

Ice-Blocking Presidio Park

Trick Trucks

... I too could go on and on, and I'm not that old!!

Moved from OC to Bonita in '77 (I was 10) where my dad still lives

... (my mom and dad were high school sweathearts, and born/raised in Chula Vista... class of '55 AND married 55yrs, when my mom passed away due to Cancer on their anniversary month)... my grandparents built their house in '44 on Minot in Chula Vista... Back when there was no Mission Valley... it was ALL farms so I hear. My roots are from the original SoCal... and I'm proud of it.

Speaking of TJ;

Crowns

Hussongs

The House

Rio Ritas

Mikes

Long Bar

... unicornio (ewww)

:ph34r: