SteelRain

Self Pity Thread

It is raining, so you know I want to be out riding, but alas...

A little bit back, I borrowed BS' new toy and put a buddy on my now plated WR and went out to Plaster City. My "Month of Vacation" had just started (Litterally Day 1). We started our ride and about halfway through our planned 190 mile route we came upon a drop off that I did not see. Luckily I was able to keep my body and my bike on this side of a 35 foot drop into a 20 foot wide wash.

I was not able to keep myself upright unfortunately and down I went.

The damage was fairly brutal, but the ride back to the truck and then to the ER (we went to Poway) was no relief.

Bodily injury count:

1) Torn rotator cuff

2) Disloacted shoulder (self re-located in the desert bad idea, doctors had to redo the "repair")

3) Broken Acromion times 3.

Here is an X-ray of a healthy one followed by mine. Only the major break is obvious but the little ones are visible on the original.

Acromion.JPG

---------------------------------------------------

Shoulder001.jpg

It could be worse but sitting on the couch when I should be out playing sucks.

I broke my Humorous and dislocated my shoulder way back. Yes it does suck, the recovery time was soooo long because the shoulder had to be immobilized. Not a fun PT. Much worse than the time I shattered my wrist.

Don't stay on the self-pity train too long! Look forward and plan for your future, it will take time to recover. You might be able to do some things other than watch tv

while you are laid up. maybe clean the bike, go to the desert and hang out / camp?

Did you have a protector with shoulder pads when you crashed?

... maybe clean the bike....

Obvously you have never seen my bikes. they get washed by riding in the rain.

Did you have a protector with shoulder pads when you crashed?

Normally I am Mr. ATGATT, but my buddy is a pilot (the only income for his family) and had to fly 2 days later. He rode down from Santa Barbara on his Fz1 and had not planned to ride offroad so we bought all new gear in San Diego. Except my backup armor did not fit him, so I gave up mine.

Lesson learned.

A little bit back, I borrowed BS' new toy

That sucks!! :( Heal up quick so you can get back out there. Bikeslut warned me of the not one but two victims that have suffered shoulder injuries while on one of his borrowed bikes. :wacko:

Welcome to my (and BaldBeemer's) world for the last three months. Sucks reading about everyone going for a ride during the best time of the year. Only solace I have is that it is raining so much I know the rest of you guys aren't out riding!

Hope you heal up fast and we can go for a ride sometime.

Last summer, broken coracoid process, labral tear (rotartor), bicepetal tear... Fun stuff... None of it got fixed (lazy military medicine), so its all mostly healed with a bunch of tendinitis... Can you say constant sore shoulder?

Welcome to my (and BaldBeemer's) world for the last three months. Sucks reading about everyone going for a ride during the best time of the year. Only solace I have is that it is raining so much I know the rest of you guys aren't out riding!

Hope you heal up fast and we can go for a ride sometime.

+1 Get well soon.

This time of year, it reminds us not to dwell in self-pity too much, for we have it far better than most...as was the case with the last bike lend, you failed to mention the most important thing

"How is the bike?"

Heal up, follow doctors orders, and we'll ride in 6 to 8 weeks

"How is the bike?"

I agree, others have it much worse. We do a great deal of giving during this time of year.

as for the bike, I was on MY BIKE when this happened, and the only damage was to my $12 GPS mount.

.... I was on MY BIKE when this happened, and the only damage was to my $12 GPS mount.

I break a leg and my bike breaks a shift lever. Doesn't seem fair, but it could have been much worse on my end.

Sorry to hear about your incident. Feel for you as I'm suffering with ya. I broke my right wrist (small fracture on distal end of radius) on T-day weekend. Feels fine and I tried to convince the Dr that I was good to go after 2 weeks in the cast. Of course he didn't buy it, so in my second cast until Jan 3rd.

I break my wrist and my bike is fine to ride for another 50 miles coolio.gif.

Rob..

heal up david.....sorry to hear of your injuries....hang in there....