??????

Might have to move to NY for work. Hopefully I can stay here. I have missed this ride to many times to have to never get to do it.

:lol: Maybe he read it as I did:

"Julie has something planned for Jon that weekend"

"I'd like to get in on that"

:coolio:

:lol: Maybe he read it as I did:

"Julie has something planned for Jon that weekend"

"I'd like to get in on that"

:coolio:

Now that I re-read it, I souind kind of skeezy... Just the way I like it!

Jon

My bike is packed and ready. I have been at home for a month and unfortunatly I had to go to Jacksonville on Thursday and am still here. Up untill this avo I was still hopefull on getting home Fri night to do your well planned ride. Now I have to go to New Orleans tomorrow then home and Hawaii on Mon. I am totally planning on doing the bikepacking ride to the river next weekend. I just got an XR650. Maybe you could show me how to ride it?

Two weeks from now sounds good.

As far as Julie goes, right now I've got her pissed off enough at me that she won't care what I do for the next two weeks.

I'll let you guys know how this turns out.

In other words, Since this weekend didn't happen I tore apart the back of the DR-Z to replace the weak stock shock spring. I found that the linkage bearing races broke in the center hole of the knuckle and scattered needle bearings throughout. It was pretty ugly. I dropped the knuckle off at Kon-Tiki this afternoon to get the bearings replaced. After seeing how bad this part was I'm almost glad we didn't ride this weekend.

Such a bummer to hear it didn't happen THIS last weekend.

(I thought about you guys as I drove home on Sunday from Baja - and as I received a 80mph in a 65 ticket on the I-98 just outside of Ocotillo. Looked around at the great riding area)

However, this means it might happen for me (so selfish that I am) if you plan a new weekend!

Keep us posted!!!!!

.......... it's important to deal with the Anza Borrego State Park issue of damaged trails from the Desert Dash. I am going out on Sunday to survey the trails they mentioned.

Randy... keep me (us) posted on this, I'll still offer my help to "clean up" if I can.

Dates are reset. It's time to get healthy, check the tires, shine and polish the bikes, eat a big breakfast and get to the riding. No more stories, excuses, general bullshitting about. It's time to "Shut Up and Ride". Either you're in, or not. I'll see you at Silver Strand Beach on Saturday March 26th at 9AM.

Tires in the sand ...

100_0104.jpg

...and off we go.

100_0181.jpg

You guys have twisted priorities. ;)

Nah, you have poor scheduling. :coolio:

THree years in a row I am going to miss the only ride I have been itching to do for that long.

You guys have twisted priorities. ;)

If you saw my dad's carpet... you'd realize. blink.gif

... 1600 sq.ft. of tile and hardwood to put in starting the 23rd. I'd love to know I could do it in a few days, but my back wouldn't be worth anything if I tried. THANK goodness he didn't decide to do the WHOLE house. EEK!

It's perfect weather for this ride too....

Maybe... just maaaaaybe... I can take a LONG break from the work. But, I highly doubt it. I'd get the evil eye if I left his house in shambles. coolio.gif

John,

I'm off work until the 31st. Call me if I can lend a hand in order for you to join us.

Jon

John,

I'm off work until the 31st. Call me if I can lend a hand in order for you to join us.

Jon

ahhh... your the best. That's a hell-of-an-offer... but, I'm one of those who work best... alone.blush.gif

Now, I'll have tons of heavy lifting to do... as my pops can't do much. But again, it'll be here and there... where I move something, to put the floor down and then move it back. Tile is all going in first, so the heavy moving will come in later during the project.

Thanks Jon... really cool of ya to offer.king.gif

... just don't count me out YET!!!

I regret to say I probably can't make it either....we are slammed at work, I need the money, and work is priority right now....sorry. I hope someone else can go with Jon.

I regret to say I probably can't make it either....we are slammed at work, I need the money, and work is priority right now....sorry. I hope someone else can go with Jon.

Jon, Can you postone again? I really want in as do a few others, but timing has been tough.

Obviously this is your ride, so you are the one setting dates, its just that everyone elses schedule sucks

I say this hoping I am not going to Japan now or the East Coast Later..

Can you postone again?

No.

After this weekend, the next weekend I'll be working. The following weekend I'll be volunteering in Kernville. Then work again and late April I leave for a cruise. Once may hits triple digit temps in the desert are pretty common. If nobody shows up on Saturday that'll be it for this ride. I'll ride alone if it comes to it and then shelf it all and start working on the next trip I've been kicking around, loop ride from here to Bishop, CA.

.. I hear ya on the "scheduling", and anything over 90 out there can get pretty hot (esp. if your broke down).

If you ride solo... KNOW that I'd drop anything I'm doing to come get ya, if problems arise.

You have a SPOT??

If not, come borrow mine so we all can watch your trek and know where you are if problems do arise.

PLAN for the WORST, and the best will happen. (my new motto)

Everybody wants to go, nobody can commit.

Two tears in a bucket...

Sorry, my family and my jopb come before riding.

That said, I will try again next year...

Just so you all know, and for any lurkers that might show up on Saturday, I'll not be riding this weekend. Thanks to Airtime for the offer, but my domestic security advisor won't allow long range solo operations.

I heard a rumor that there's a rumor out there regarding the legalities of the route that I've planned. That rumor is entirely false. While an original route was planned on Google Earth that would have gone through the Navy bombing range or an unknown wildlife habitat these areas were properly re-routed. All wilderness areas and private property have been avoided for obvious reasons and ensuring so was the most time consuming task of the entire planning process.

See you next time.

I heard a rumor that there's a rumor out there regarding the legalities of the route that I've planned. That rumor is entirely false. While an original route was planned on Google Earth that would have gone through the Navy bombing range or an unknown wildlife habitat these areas were properly re-routed.

Pasta,

If you are talking about the bombing range just north of the USG plant in Plaster City, it is 100% perfectly legal to ride along the road/trail that parallels the railroad tracks. The only requirement is that you keep moving. Otherwise, it is difficult for the pilots to pick up that there are people out there and not drop/fire.

If you are talking about another range, I apologize for jumping in.

Jim

Actually it was the other target on the East side of Superstition. I had no idea what it was on GE but there is great road that goes through it and right to Superstition Mt. When we got to the gate the first time and saw it was DOD property, we turned left, went down the road a bit and took another road toward Superstition and on to Ocotillo.

Thanks Jim I've been on the road by the other target. I even got passed by an F-150 on it. It was no ordinary F-150, but it was no trophy truck either. It was very plain, not a single sticker and doing about 65-75.

Thanks Jim I've been on the road by the other target. I even got passed by an F-150 on it. It was no ordinary F-150, but it was no trophy truck either. It was very plain, not a single sticker and doing about 65-75.

This time last year, somebody in a truck was going down the railroad tracks and decided to take a shortcut across the range, west toward the mountains. A pilot was dropping MK-76s and did everything right.....this guy just so happened to be where he shouldn't have been and his truck got hit! Three more feet to the west and he would have most likely been killed.

The target to the east of Sups is large, and we have recently put new signs up re-marking the boundary. While the area seems big, the guy that got hit at Plaster City was 2000ft from where the round hit, and it skipped that far. The round didn't go off DoD property, it was that truck was well inside the range. When something hits the ground at 450kts, it can skip a long way!!!!! Ergo, big amounts of land.

I would say the chances of getting hit are very slim, but I guess that is what the other guy thought too! Bottom line is that the pilots only have 5-8 seconds that the are on the run-in line, and they still have to manage to fly and do everything else, and still try to visually clear the range. You can imagine how difficult that is.

The target to the east of Sups is large, and we have recently put new signs up re-marking the boundary. While the area seems big, the guy that got hit at Plaster City was 2000ft from where the round hit, and it skipped that far. The round didn't go off DoD property, it was that truck was well inside the range. When something hits the ground at 450kts, it can skip a long way!!!!! Ergo, big amounts of land..............

Are you speaking of this target?

http://maps.google.c...037894&t=h&z=15

If so, the signs are well South of Imler (old rock house road) by 9500' (1.8 mile radius or more) into camping areas like "the dip", and all around through the mud hills, and over to pole line. Per most my maps, that's well into BLM land... or are the maps wrong, and the Navy owns it all out to the signs (even South of Imler - Rock house road)??

And I thought the small Cessna type plane was their "target clearing" eye in the sky (for that target)?

... I know that the Old Rock House rd is no longer maintained, but that doesn't keep campers, RVs, and ATV type enthusiasts from using it. And it's MUCH closer to the above linked range then seems safe (less than a half mile at it's closest point (or within skipping distance of 2100' !!).

Either way, that range used to be used with the 'unmanned' buggy/vehicle too... for gun practice. To the most Eastern side of the range, where it could be seen from the East Tower where Imler turns into Huff. I've not seen them use guns for a long time, nor that unmanned buggy. Similar to the one they test with at at Point Loma on Seaside (beyond NOSC military gates).

Just for the heck of it.... We all know to stay OUT of these two ranges too;

Furthest West of Soops area (laser guided site) and East of the Train Tracks ... both included "restricted" on the WECO map.

Are you speaking of this target?

http://maps.google.c...037894&t=h&z=15

That's the one. I'd never been to Superstition when I was planning this ride and like you said it's well posted from the Imler Rd side. That's when I found out what it was. It's really easy to bypass that area and get to Superstition Mt. So we did. There is no reason to ride anywhere near a bombing target. It's a big desert there's plenty of room for everyone.

I've covered most of Southern California at and below 1000' above the ground doing 200 knots (230mph). It is pretty difficult to pick out objects on the ground smaller than a midsize car. Increase the speed another 100K and place my attention on a bombing target that my accuracy is being graded on and I can tell you you'll never be seen. The DoD should have spotters making sure no knuckleheads enter the protected area at any time while the range is hot. I know they do in the offshore warning areas I can't see why these would not be.