Klrscumbag

Getting a plate for a '97 KDX220

Does it have the needed lights? (turn, brake, headlight)

Emission label that says it complies with CA emissions?

Those two components are the most important.....shops such as Motoworld offer free "light inspection".....then DMV will perform a "VIN verification" and inspect for the emissions label.

After completion of those inspections.....wait inline for your plate.

If you don't have the emissions label........then you would need to wait for a secret to be let out of the bag ;)

I owned a plated 1986 KDX200 for years, then sold it to somebody who then sold it somebody else. The last owner of the KDX was going to move to Texas, where he would have plated the bike with Texas tags. I always intended to get the machine back, but not with out of state plates on it, as I would not be able to get the machine replated with California tags (other than a green sticker). I bought the bike back before it went to Texas. I don't think that you can get that bike plated here. A few years ago, maybe...but not now. Somebody else here on the website recently bought an older KDX that had out of state plates and couldn't get it plated for the street in Caifornia. Just sayin'.....

mimi on an older bike you could transfer the title back from texas to cali plates NO problem....scumbag i think you and I need to squeeze HOSS and see if he coughs up this big SECRET....HOSS whisper it in my ear i promise i wont tell anyone :blush:

mimi on an older bike you could transfer the title back from texas to cali plates NO problem.

Sorry but no, you are seriously misinformed about this and a tad in denial as well, or at least looking for a pony. :heh: Once the vehicle leaves the state, gets Texas pink slip and registration, that's the end of it.

I have not done any research myself but from the discussions of others I thought is was possible for an out of state plated bike to be then plated in california. Mimi could you explain why the 7500 mile rule for out of state bikes does not apply? Or is there no 7500 mile rule?

I have not done any research myself but from the discussions of others I thought is was possible for an out of state plated bike to be then plated in california. Mimi could you explain why the 7500 mile rule for out of state bikes does not apply? Or is there no 7500 mile rule?

Things changed in the last couple of years about registering dirt bikes. Perhaps you were not on the website during all the many MANY discussions about this.

In 2006 I managed to get my KLX300 plated, but that would be impossible for me to do today.

but mimi that was on a 2006 bike and yes that wont happen today, but an 86 motorcycle is NO PROBLEM to transfer a street title from a different state BACK into this state is not only possible but NOT even a problem....

the 1997 might be harder and the 2006 impossible but there is not even an emmisions sticker on an 86 motorcycle at all so how could they stop it....?

the law also states that a bike that is NOT cal emmissions appproved can STILL get plated here as long as it has more than 7500 miles on it....so if you have a 49 state bike you can still transfer title over to california from a different state AS LONG AS IT HAS 7500 miles on it or more....

does a 1997 bike even have an emmissions tag on it? i mean a 90's street bike, do they have a sticker on it with the standard? i know my 2002 HD had an emmissions sticker, BUT i know my 87 gixxer did NOT have a sticker....what is the year that they started stickers?

if someones 199? street doesnt have a sticker then how can the stop any bike from being plated?

I get that once the stickers became the standard, no sticker=no plate, but PRE sticker should = plate

Put the thing in a truck, take it to a CHP or DMV office and see what they say. They should at least be able to tell you if it can be done before you put lights, etc on it.

Plenty have gotten plates and there's a person who advertises on CL but just go find out what the CURRENT requirements are. This topic has been discussed a lot but without the CURRENT stuff, none of our opinions matter.