Now that the new bike is dialed in, I need to give the girl bike some attention so I can sell her. Ever since I changed a flat on the front tire the brakes are sticking. If I lightly use the front brake it is fine. It's when I grab a handful it takes a few seconds for the caliper to let go. I have tried bleeding them. Any help would be much appreciated.

i do not know if there is supposed to be a spring to push the pads back or not but check that if theres supposed to be one and lube up the slides for the pads and make sure they are correctly installed as sometimes they try to shift when taking the wheel on and off.

sounds like a sticky caliper piston...

BEST case... it's as simple as:

Take the wheel off... remove the brake pads... remove the master cylinder cap... take out most of the fluid... push the caliper pistons in.

replace with clean fluid, and bleed the system

if it still sticks, you may have to remove the pistons, and scotchbrite the piston or caliper... check o rings for damage

The kerf of the disc is all it normally takes to push the pads back to free wheeling

"realize... I have no mechanical ability... I learned everything the old fashioned way... fix it or break it more... a better wrench may have better advice"

Hello,

Just speaking from a larger vehicle standpoint there is no spring to return the pads to "open" position, if there is not a kink or something wierd going on with the brakeline I have found that the pins that the caliper slides on need lubed. It is hard to explain but I have had this happen many times, the bolts/pins that hold the caliper are also the way it returns from applied to unapplied they probably have a boot to keep water etc. out. Take those pins all the way out, clean them and apply synthetic grease to them and reassemble. It would not hurt to glue the pads too but that is not really needed, depending upon how they are held in( clips etc.), questions? Call me.

I have never had much luck taking a caliper or wheel cylinder apart, that stuff is super machined and if is screwed probably so are you.

Good Luck, Uncle Champ.

PS what do you want for this poor neglected machine? for my girl, honest.

Ok, so I got a few minutes to work on the bike today. I took everything apart just like the Slut said. Cleaned the pistons off with a green scrub pad and put everything back together. I made sure everything was clean and lubricated. I bled the system and hopped on for a test ride. The lever was a little mushy at first but the caliper wasn't sticking. I road the bike for a while and the lever started to firm up. When this happened the caliper started sticking. By the time the I returned to the garage it was the same as it was before I worked on it. The caliper looks pretty simple. Do I need to replace the o rings that go around the pistons? They looked fine when I removed the pistons but I can't think of much else that would be causing this. :blush::angry2:

This summer in Utah, I laid my bike over, and the rest of my trip my front brake were real touchy like that. While cleaning the bike at home, I noticed the rotor was bent in one spot. I tweaked it back straight, and my brakes were good as new again. May be something to check before you spend any more money, and I could see it happening pretty easily while changing the tire. It was easy to see by putting the bike on a stand and spinning the wheel, while watching the rotor from directly in front of the bike.

Edit: sorry, I just reread your OP, doesn't sound like the same thing at all.

......PS what do you want for this poor neglected machine? for my girl, honest.

If she would like to try one before you buy one, she is welcome to try mine out.....josh's bike is the same as mine....let me know. :)