Sign in to follow this  
Spaugh

tig welding

i have a couple small tack welds that I need done. Does anyone have a tig welder or know where I could get this done?

i have a couple small tack welds that I need done. Does anyone have a tig welder or know where I could get this done?

Have you tried Bob’s shop in the grove? He is a member here (metal twister) and has welded up many of the bikes here. Jon used him the reinforce his Honda frame.

Have you tried Bob’s shop in the grove? He is a member here (metal twister) and has welded up many of the bikes here. Jon used him the reinforce his Honda frame.

do you know the name of his business?

Does it have to be "tig", mig works well and more people have mig welders.

very important to make sure you know exactly what you are welding....wire feed mig welding is great, as long as it is the right wire for the material you are welding...

aluminum is very hard to use a wire feeder on, the wire is too soft to push thru the housing...they do have ways but it is not that common, it is usually TIG

Titanium is very rare wire and is almost exclusively TIG

ChroMoly, like your ktm frames again is a special wire and NOT that common in wire feeders, it is available, but much easier to use a small pack of TIG wire and hand TIG it

if it is just a nice cold roll steel, tubing, plate, or angle then MIG wire feed is your best bet.

i dont personally know of any shops down by you, but the yellow pages should help...just know what you wanna weld

I have a 220V mig welder but it could blow a hole through the part very easily. Thats why I wanted to have someone with TIG do it.

the part is a pressfit piece that the seat bolts screw into. These pieces don't stay pressed in if pushed too hard while mounting the seat.

this picture is not mine but it is of the similar part from someone else's bike. See the two screw holes? They are raised up, those are press fits and they come out. They just need a very small tack weld done on the outer edge of those to keep them from coming unpressed. I am scared to do something that small myself with a mig welder.

004-25.jpg

DO NOT...NOT weld that with a MIG..the wire in almost every mig is a steel based wire and will NOT stick propperly and can damage the aluminum of the subframe...find a shop and have it tacked. will not cost hardly anything

DO NOT...NOT weld that with a MIG..the wire in almost every mig is a steel based wire and will NOT stick propperly and can damage the aluminum of the subframe...find a shop and have it tacked. will not cost hardly anything

Brad take this to Bob. He can help you. While you are there you can see the roadsters and off road buggies he makes.

I have a 220V mig welder but it could blow a hole through the part very easily. Thats why I wanted to have someone with TIG do it.

the part is a pressfit piece that the seat bolts screw into. These pieces don't stay pressed in if pushed too hard while mounting the seat.

this picture is not mine but it is of the similar part from someone else's bike. See the two screw holes? They are raised up, those are press fits and they come out. They just need a very small tack weld done on the outer edge of those to keep them from coming unpressed. I am scared to do something that small myself with a mig welder.

004-25.jpg

You need to be careful with this. The inserts are steel and the subframe is aluminum. Those press in inserts (PEM nuts) do come loose easily. You may need to knock them out, weld the frame and then install nut-serts which hold a lot better. Check with Ababa Bolt or other industrial hardware dealer. The right welding shop might have them too. Good luck!

mctrails is right, i didnt even think about that....the subframe is aluminum, but the press nuts are steel.

a possible fix that could be done with your 220 mig at home, just turn down the amps and up the wire speeed, but the fix is to make a small plate to bridge between the nuts out of a piece of steel and tack that JUST to the two barrel nuts.

that would hold them from turning, and keep them from falling out of the bracket. pretty easy, any small piece of metal will do, just to connect the 2 nuts with a bridge...even a nail clipped to the right length and tacked between them will pin them together...i hope i am making sense here.

since it is steel your mig is fine....just because it is big and 220v doesnt mean it cant weld small stuff, it just needs to be set up for the smaller gauge metal...but in reality the nuts are fairly thick and say a 16d nail is over 1/16th inch thick. neither the nuts or the plate/nail/whatever is as thin as sheet metal and probably wont just burn thru...just stay away from the aluminum with the tip of the welder

easy