Andy

Help with an 87 Honda XL600

I picked it up for $1,000 from a coworker, it's in amazing condition except for the hard starting. After about half an hour of kicking and spraying starting fluid and cursing, it will light up and run beautifully. This is my first offroad bike, and my first kick-start machine. I'm told there's a special sequence when it comes to kicking them to life, and the fact that it does eventually start tells me that there's nothing major wrong with it. Are there any oldschool Honda guru's here who might be willing to work with me to diagnose this issue?

...the fact that it does eventually start tells me that there's nothing major wrong with it

...and what happened the 2nd or 3rd time you tried to start it cold? Still the same ritual or does it fire right up now?

...the fact that it does eventually start tells me that there's nothing major wrong with it

...and what happened the 2nd or 3rd time you tried to start it cold? Still the same ritual or does it fire right up now?

I just tried again today, this time I got a friend to help me check for spark. Sure enough, no spark. So, I think the problem might be a break in a wire somewhere or just a worn part that intermittently cuts the spark. That would explain why sometimes it'll fire up after much frustration and why other times it's just dead. I just got done dropping it off at Stockers (local bike place, one of the few that works on old bikes), it's well worth my $60 to have people with all the right tools and manuals and test parts to diagnose the issue. Once I know what the problem is I'll go from there. This is drivin' me nuts, I wanna ride! =)

I just tried again today, this time I got a friend to help me check for spark. Sure enough, no spark. So, I think the problem might be a break in a wire somewhere or just a worn part that intermittently cuts the spark.

On that engines the spark looks very weak, you must adjust the decompressor cable on the kicstart , and kick after the high compession point, just an small movement and kick hard, as you must make spin the magneto to produce spark

( i own 2 XR500's and 1XL600, is the same, looks spark problem but is just proper start procedure< measure the black and red wire AC VOLTAGE aprox 35+ VAC) hope it help

Hey Guys; Here is an idea for you to check out. Pull the plug and use a multi-meter to check for reisistance between the end of the plug to the terminal where it hooks up before running to the harness. You should get less than 1 ohm of reisistance between the plug connection and the spades where they slide into the terminal.

Honda's have a spring loaded fuse in the plug boot, you can unscrew the plug boot from the plug wire (yes the whole boot unscrews from the wire , it is not a crimp type) and then use a flat tip screwdriver to unscrew the cap down inside the boot at the top where it twists onto the plug wire to check the fuse.

Under the cap you will see a spring that pushes the small fuse down onto the piece the plug pops into. If your check from the boot to the terminal is bad the next thing to check with the meter is the fuse inside the boot.

based on the symptoms I think that if you find you have a good wire & plug the next thing to look at might be the carb / choke adjustments.

From a 4Strokes.com thread : "Jetting Tricks". ....

The three most common causes of hard starts (when cold) are:

*pilot too lean

*Air Filter clogged or over oiled

*Motor oil too thick.

P.S. When is the last time the carb was cleaned? and is it jetted for aftermarket settings?

When the thing does run does it smoke? Does it backfire or pop? Does it hesitate?

Good luck

I would also take a look at the valve adjustment. My bike was hard starting but would run great once started, it turned out to be 0 backlash on an intake valve. You should check them anyway. lots of honda guys to give you the rundown or maybe even help. Good luck. Ken

Thanks for the feedback guys!! I should be hearing from the shop today, and I'll go from there. To answer some of the other questions, though:

I pulled the carbs apart last thursday and they are IMMACULATE inside. I highly suspect that the previous owner had already rebuilt them, there is absolutely no way that the shiny brass jets and brand new rubber parts were original. I blew everything clean and got it back together and that's when I started lookin' for spark issues. The reason I suspected the spark was because even when I sprayed starting fluid into the engine it still wouldn't light up. I admit that I don't know this bike, but I have worked on dozens of other cars and motorcycles and every one of them lights up instantly when starting fluid is involved IF the ignition system is working.

I haven't checked the valves yet; does anyone know what the lash spec is for the '87 model?

The decompression system might be an issue, the guy I bought it from actually installed new cables for that system because the old ones were shot. Anyone got specs for adjusting these?

The engine oil and air filter oil are good, both correct fluids.

Thanks again for the help, I'll know more when the shop calls and go from there.