Andrew

Vintage dual sports?

While looking for a first dual sport, I continue to come across late 70's/early 80's bikes, oftentimes appearing in decent shape. Would anything such as a 1979 Honda xl 500 be a decent first dual sport? I'm guessing no, since I don't really see many on here, but was wondering how viable an option an older bike would be if it was in good shape, or does a bike from the 90's just run all over something older in every way. The kind of riding I plan on doing is fire roads and trails. Nothing too crazy.

While looking for a first dual sport, I continue to come across late 70's/early 80's bikes, oftentimes appearing in decent shape. Would anything such as a 1979 Honda xl 500 be a decent first dual sport? I'm guessing no, since I don't really see many on here, but was wondering how viable an option an older bike would be if it was in good shape, or does a bike from the 90's just run all over something older in every way. The kind of riding I plan on doing is fire roads and trails. Nothing too crazy.

absolutely! Don't let the age bother you... if it's in decent shape, I think that is a good intro bike

(I have an 83 XR350 in my stable)

See the Big Bear report in Ride Reports... pastapilot points out that the guy on the older bike was braking early in the corners... I don't think it was a brake issue, he was just more cautious than we were.

I think the biggest hang up is the shocks, and it's hard to justify $500 in shock work on a $500 bike... but for light dirt, and legal street speeds, it's a great way to explore

zenosan to the white courtesy phone

I may have to look at some of these older bikes then. The switch from my Triumph to any Japanese bike is going to be interesting. Haven't ridden a bike with a left side shifter for years. I think even something from the early 80's, let alone mono shock is going to feel light years ahead. I've never even had a bike with turn signals.

I've never even had a bike with turn signals.

after your first trail ride, you still won't :lol:

impact ratio on factory turn signals hovers around 99%...

Andrew - I just bought a '78 Honda XL250s from Zenosan for my son's (28) first bike. Price was right and he can actually reach the ground which adds confidence. Plenty of bike to start with, especially if you're on a budget. You might want more than a 250 since you have some riding experience but that's a personal choice.

Andrew

If you look around, even on this board, you will see plenty of Vintage Dualsport riders. Some are closeted but others are out like myself and Socal Hodaka. The bikes are not as obsolete as some contemporay riders assume they are. I have many bikes most are from the late 70's to mid 80's. My newest bike is an 87 Honda XL600 but I ride 78, 79, 82, 84,85 XL's ranging from 250 to 600. I think you will find that high end state of the art bikes don't make a rider a good rider. That takes time and practice. A good rider on a Vintage bike will have no trouble keeping up with a mediocre rider on a modern bike. What is important is that you be honest with yourself about what kind of riding you want to do. Don't get a high end motocross bike if you want to do adventure trail riding. Look in the mirror and see what size bike will fit you. I am 5'7' and 160lbs of PURE WILDCAT. I find the XL600 way more bike than I need. It would be a great bkie for some of the bigger guys I ride with. I do most of my rides with this group on a 250 or a 350. Look around and you should have no trouble finding one. Just saw an 84 XL250r on CL yesterday. Good luck, I'm looking forward to riding with another Vintage rider soon.

Don

I saw that xl 250 for sale on craigslist. I have a friend who has a super clean 86' that I've been trying to get to sell. I'm quite attracted to the 79' xl500 on there since I know I can just about flat foot it on one of those and it is the same year I was born. I have no plans to get all motocross style with it. My idea of a good time is cruising trails and exploring. These bikes were used to do just that when new, so why not now? Parts are easy to find and not too expensive, and it's more along the lines of what I'm used to.

These bikes were used to do just that when new, so why not now? Parts are easy to find and not too expensive, and it's more along the lines of what I'm used to.

My theory is the "COOL" factor created by none other than Honda themsleves. After 87 they wanted to dominate the racing market and went all out to develope competitive motocross bikes. That is what they have promoted since then. The other manufacturers jumped in the market. The dual sport bikes were basically dropped from production. By creating a new "COOL" they could sell a lot more new bikes. I see it as not much different than what the fashion industry has always done with creating a new need for whatever is the latest clothing style. But for myself-a good pair of jeans just doesn't go out of style. They are still a good pair of jeans.

i think the early xl and dr or even a plated xr would make a great first bike, first ds bike, second bike, 5th bike, 25th bike....i would not hesitate to ride one.

i have owned dozens of bikes, and i would still take one for my stable if i came across a clean one cheap enough...fun little city bikes and fire roads or jeep trail stuff...

i raced MX for 40 years and while im NOT fast, i like to push a motorcycle pretty hard, i am used to top level MX suspenseion on my rides, because of this, and the fact that i love to ride single track and pretty gnarly trails, i prefer to ride a higher tech, modern ds bike like my ktm....but that does not discount the versatility, ease of maintanace, reliability, and fun factor of a good old air cooled single cylinder japanese ds like the xl...

pick one up..you may want to get something higher tech as your riding skills grow and improve, but if you get it cheap enough, you wont loose anything when you resell it and it will bet a great learner...heck you might even end up wanting to keep it as a new buddy bike ;)

IMHO the 80s Honda XL350 and 500 are the best of the best 80s vintage DS machines, the XL250 (280 kit was great) gets honorable mention as well. They are out there for really good prices. The parts availability is no issue and they are easy to maintain. best of luck

I found one in my price range, looks/runs good, but is being sold with lien papers and was last titled in Nevada. What would be the process for getting it titled here? if this is the type of bike I want, am I best to keep looking, or is the paperwork easy enough to justify any hassle?

Just looking for any input.

if the shop has already done the lien paperwork it is not too bad, but if it is one of those...here is the papers you handle it....i would pass especially if it is outta state registered....

there are others out for fair prices...keep looking