HotRod82

07 KTM 525 exc

So does anyone here have the inside scoop on how to permanently fix the countershaft oil leaking issue? Ive been on TT and asked around but all I hear is "carry a spare seal". Motoworld counter guy told me they sell these seals like hotcakes....The chain is definately not too tight, the countershaft is straight with virtually no run out and the cc vent is clear,. This is my first KTM and has earned the nicname "Exxon Valdez"......its getting old to say the least. I'm actually starting to miss my old trusty XR650.........

I'll bet you have an aftermarket countersprocket. There are sprockets that are manufactured too thin and don't apply the proper amount of pressure to the seal. Most bikes DO NOT have that problem.

So does anyone here have the inside scoop on how to permanently fix the countershaft oil leaking issue? Ive been on TT and asked around but all I hear is "carry a spare seal". Motoworld counter guy told me they sell these seals like hotcakes....The chain is definately not too tight, the countershaft is straight with virtually no run out and the cc vent is clear,. This is my first KTM and has earned the nicname "Exxon Valdez"......its getting old to say the least. I'm actually starting to miss my old trusty XR650.........

the bushing that the seal sits on can get grooved over a long time. You might need to replace the bushing, oring, and the seal. It only cost about 20$ to do all 3 at once and it should last a long time.

Also replace the washer that hold the sprocket in place, the cup shape gets flat eventually and they don't press on the sprocket good to make the back seal on the bushing.

the bushing that the seal sits on can get grooved over a long time. You might need to replace the bushing, oring, and the seal. It only cost about 20$ to do all 3 at once and it should last a long time.

Also replace the washer that hold the sprocket in place, the cup shape gets flat eventually and they don't press on the sprocket good to make the back seal on the bushing.

Yup.

What he typed, too.

Yup.

What he typed, too.

Thanks for the replies guys......The o-ring is the only component I have not replaced, dealer didn't have one and the old one looked good so I re-used it. I was convinced the case was cracked but so far I cannot confirm that. The thing literally pours oil out even while just on the kick stand, you would think it would be obvious but so far no luck in finding the culprit. It's been to 2 mechanics in addition to me working on it. I guess I will start with all new parts again and start over.

are you putting silicon 3 bond or yamabond on the outside of the seal too? If its pouring out, its probably the sprocket isn't pushing on the bushing. There aren't that many possibilities with this, 3 new parts, good sprocket\washer, proper chain, you should be in business unless your countershaft is wonky but I doubt it.

Well, Brad will come to your home no matter where you are and fix it for you. ; )

Replace the pieces. I've never heard of a crack there. I suppose it's possible. Use some Loctite 518 on the outside perimeter of the seal in case the case is scratched from a removal tool.

Let us know how it goes!

I FINALLY got around to putting my bike back together and I believe the countershaft sprocket was the culprit. While taking it back apart, I was looking everything over very closely and noticed the concave washer was really worked (bolt was still tight) and it only had maybe 75 miles on it. The splines inside the sprocket have become so loose on the shaft it appears it was walking around enough to weaken the tension the washer provides for the bushing/seal. The teeth on the sprocket look fine, the splines are shot. Perhaps the sprocket came loose at some point with the previous owner? Anyway, I installed all new parts including an OEM sprocket and cruised around for 30 miles yesterday and so far so good, it looks like the KTM may stay awhile after all. I'm also thinking this maybe common on KTM's because no one replaces that washer when they replace the sprocket...I know I usually do not on my other bikes. They should sell the washer with the sprocket for these bikes.

I FINALLY got around to putting my bike back together and I believe the countershaft sprocket was the culprit. While taking it back apart, I was looking everything over very closely and noticed the concave washer was really worked (bolt was still tight) and it only had maybe 75 miles on it. The splines inside the sprocket have become so loose on the shaft it appears it was walking around enough to weaken the tension the washer provides for the bushing/seal. The teeth on the sprocket look fine, the splines are shot. Perhaps the sprocket came loose at some point with the previous owner? Anyway, I installed all new parts including an OEM sprocket and cruised around for 30 miles yesterday and so far so good, it looks like the KTM may stay awhile after all. I'm also thinking this maybe common on KTM's because no one replaces that washer when they replace the sprocket...I know I usually do not on my other bikes. They should sell the washer with the sprocket for these bikes.

Dodged a bullet! I've heard where the splines on the sprocket are fine, but the output shaft is not. Your way is much better.

Great news.