Doc

New to web site

I live in Vista. I ride a Honda XR600R DS, Honda Shadow Sabre (daily commute and touring), and CBR929RR when I want to scare myself. I also have a Yamaha XT350 for my son and an XR100 and SDG Super Mini to knock around in the yard with.

I am planning a month long adventure tour from Seattle to Alaska on the XR600 in June. If anyone can take the month off, I will carry you and your bike to Seattle with me if you want to share fuel costs (Ford F-150 5.4 liter). Feel free to accompany me to all points north. I hope to cover 7,000 miles. About 1,000 will be on gravel roads. I do not plan any true off roading however, if I have a buddy, this is a possibility.

Pack light, pack warm. Have waterproof gear. Prepare for an epic ride. Hope someone can do the ride with me.

David Clark

post-685-1172532893_thumb.jpg

I'm riding north in June too, but from San Diego. I have a meet in Reno May 31, June 1, 2, 3. Then it's on the Spokane to pick up my wife (who is flying up there). This is just a exploration ride to get to know the area. At some point I would like to ride all the way to Inuvik, then cut back over to Alaska. This trip is just the next step. Each trip we add a few thousand miles. This one will be 7000.

Posted Image

Take a look at our draft route. It would be great to meet up if our paths cross.

Doc, welcome. I am in Vista too. I can't make the long trip with you (too short of a leash) but I hope you will be able to ride on some of the local rides with us. May I ask why are you taking the 600 instead of the sabre? I used to ride the heck out of gravel and dirt roads with my 750 shadow, it was very capable (and comfortable). Ken

Welcome Doc, Sounds like a REAL adventure. I'm sure KTMRad is foaming at the mouth thinking about Alaska. He tells us that is the best ride he has been on...

DOC; Welcome! :D Great group of people here, I can't say enough positive things about all of them!

Marbee40 is moving up to Alaska this week after 20 years in the Navy. You might be able to get some good inside / local info from him if you PM him. Here is a link to one of his posts.

http://www.dualsport-sd.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=681

Are you looknig to ride locally soon? Hope to see you out there.

Gunner

Thanks for all the replies. I will try to address the questions and comments raised.

Sandiegoland: I haven't got a fancy map with highlights like yours. But here is a very rough draft of my route itenerary.

June 1: Vista to Oregon Border

June 2: Oregon Border to Seattle, WA

June 3: Seattle, WA to Cache Creek, BC

June 4: Cache Creek, BC to Fraser Lake, BC

June 5: Fraser Lake, BC to Dease Lake, BC

June 6: Dease Lake, BC to Haines Jct, Yukon

June 7: Haines Jct, to Gulkana, AK

June 8: Gulkana, AK to Ankorage, AK

June 9: Kenai Peninsula

June 10: Kenai Peninsula to Anchorage for new tire then Trapper Crk

June 11: Trapper Crk to Denali Nat Pk

June 12: Denali Pk to Fairbanks, AK

June 13: Fairbanks to Coldfoot

June 14: Coldfoot to Deadhorse

June 15: Deadhorse to Coldfoot

June 16: Coldfoot to Fairbanks

June 17: Fairbanks to Denali

June 18: Denali to Paxson

June 19: Paxson to Beaver Ck, Yukon

June 20: Beaver Crk to Watson Lk, Yukon

June 21: Watson Lk to Meziadin Jct

June 22: Mez Jct to Prince George, BC

June 23: Prince George to Cache Creek

June 24: Cache Creek to Seattle, WA

June 25: Seattle to Oregon

June 26: Oregon to Nor Cal

June 27: Nor Cal to Vista

I would like to do the Cassiar Highway instead of the Alcan Hwy. However I may come back on the Alcan. It looks like you may be on the Cassiar Hwy between June 4-7 so we may meet up. Email me and I will give you my cell phone.

Joliet: I certainly want to go on some local rides. I usually have to work a lot of weekends, though. I also work a Navy Reserve weekend once a month. That could cut into my ability to do multiday weekend rides. If I have enough lead time I can plan days off, especially during the week.

As far as the Sabre vs the XR600. Here is my thinking on the subject: I had this 1994 XR600 sitting around the garage not getting enough road time. I thought of doing something truly different and challenging. I had read the booklet, "Lightweight Unsupported Motorcycling Touring" (or some such title) and thought that type of riding is just the ticket. The Sabre has 126,000 miles on it. It is my daily workhorse. I did not want to trash it on the gravel roads up there, or worse have to leave it if it had a major mechanical problem. The XR600 is bullet proof. It is highly capable on gravel, frost heaves, pot holes, water crossings, etc. I have never done a long tour on the XR. The XR would be more like a true adventure tour. And, if it craps out on me, I could leave it there and absorb the total loss. I looked into renting a KLR from AK Riders in Anchorage. Aerostich has tied up all their bikes until Ap 6th so they couldn't even book me. If Aerostich doesn't book all their ($9,000 for a 2 week guided) tours (!!!!!), then I might be able to rent a bike from AK Riders. However, if you rent one of theirs for 2 weeks and plan to take it above the Arctic Circle, the cost for my air fare from here to Alaska and back, and bike rental with additional Arctic Circle fees would be around $3,000. After 2 weeks, I would have only my memories and pictures to show for the $3,000. If I can make it to Alaska and back with my XR (to which I have added some special touring features), I will be way ahead on costs and I would have the satisfaction of doing an epic journey. If I have to ditch the bike and it is a total loss, I am out no more money than the amount I would have spent had I gone the rental bike route. Then I will have the justification to tell my wife that in order to do the trip right next time, I would need something like a new R1200GS. So in my mind, it's all good!

The Sabre could certainly do the trip, and it would be MUCH more comfortable, but I do not enjoy dirt roads or gravel on the Sabre. I would worry about the tires and suspension, loss of control, etc. Add mud and it's just nuts. Plus, I tend to take too much crap with me on my Sabre tours. Also, I would probably drive too fast and hit some large wildlife. (The XR and I will be riding about 50mph). I just got back from 6 days of camping at Death Valley and Joshua Tree with the Sabre. I had enough crap with me on that small trip to take me around the continent. The XR will require me to pack much lighter.

Chief Gunner: Thanks for the heads up on Marbee40. I got my commission in 1974 and became a Navy flight surgeon in 1978. That got me to San Diego when I was stationed at MCAF Camp Pendleton. I stayed in the Navy Reserve ever since. I am a Reserve flight surgeon for a logistics squadron at NAS North Island. We fly C-40's (Navy's version of the 737-700) and go all over the world. Marbee40 and I should have a lot in common. I need more contacts in Alaska in case I have any problems. I have some friends in Anchorage and Fairbanks.

Thanks to all who wrote. I hope to meet everyone soon.

Doc

post-685-1172637937_thumb.jpg

post-685-1172638051_thumb.jpg

Then it's on the Spokane to pick up my wife (who is flying up there). This is just a exploration ride to get to know the area.

Are you going to do two-up with your wife on a 650 on this trip?

Have you read "Adventure Motorcycle Handbook" by Chris Scott? It has tons of great info.

I just ordered this DVD, check out their web site.

http://www.dirttrackproductions.com/index....61da09b9f7c3b1f

Also, if you haven't read, "One Man Caravan" or seen the DVD it is a must read book! It is the story of the first guy to travel around the world on a MC, in 1938! Awesome stuff.

David

June 20: Beaver Crk to Watson Lk, Yukon

June 21: Watson Lk to Meziadin Jct

June 22: Mez Jct to Prince George, BC

June 23: Prince George to Cache Creek

June 24: Cache Creek to Seattle, WA

You may not have the wiggle room in your schedule, but a bunch of adventure riders will be in Dawson for the Dust to Dawson Ride (D2D). I'm afraid I might already be heading back before you round down, but I will get your number beforehand just in case. My numbers are not dates, just points to help route the course.

We will be 2UP. We've done a few 2000 mile trips, and last summer we did 5000 miles with about 5% dirt, the rest secondary highways. Very few Interstates or Freeways. We save weight by "motel" camping (I carry one sleeping bag and a bike cover for emergencies).

That DVD you mention is cool. I've seen the trailer and a friend of mine enjoyed it a lot. I also like your Sabre. That's probably the cruiser I would have if I had an extra garage. Ergos like a Fatboy, reliability of a Honda.

I am a cheapskate when it comes to paying for a motel room when I could be camping for free or next to nothing. Plus, I just like being outdoors. 20-25 days of motel bills would be expensive. It would easily add $2K to my trip.

Doc