Just got back from UK after another 3 week trip to do a few enduros,

First one was Powys Enduro, this is a classic single lap event in Mid Wales, not sure how long it has been running but I first went there in 77 or 78 when my dad rode it on a BSA Victor. I have been to it many times with my dad and friends but never actually rode it so this year was my first time. Weather had been unusually dry and warm in Uk and we went down to walk the special tests beforehand, the first test started very fast then had a more technical second half with some boggy bits and one nasty section with steep drop into a stream but with a much longer easy run around, second test was also very good with nice mix of stuff, took us 3 hours to walk both tests. Started out nice and sunny and warm, a few miles of roads and couple of tracks and into first test. I was not really into it and was not brave enough with first part but rode reasonable, passed one of my buddies (davey) stuck in a a bog which we had an easy line through and he missed, at first check other buddy Ian told of his big crash down drop into the stream so had to straighten out his bike. Next couple of checks were easy enough, dry and bit dusty, caught up with some guy riding an old Ossa which was going great until it got onto open mountains. Then the weather tunrned, clouds rolled in and rain started, visibility on moorland was bad and finding markers was difficult then we went into forest. Suddenly what had been dry now there were 2 foot deep water holes and I nearly drowned my 300 in one of them hitting it a bit quick (later found muddy water in carb), everything was very slippy with water on hard ground but it was so difficult to see that going quick was challenging. The second/final test I messed up and dropped into deep slots trying to avoid a stuck rider and lost lot of time so then we went to final check which was basically reverse of first special test. Ended up getting stuck behind a slower rider and trying to get past him crashed so by time got going again lost some time and along with poor 2nd test messed up what could have been a reasonable result. The event was fun but with loss of land in recent years was not what it apparently used to be, not sure if I would do it again actually, we rode for 3 hours in a 6 hour race and that included at least 1/2 hr of roads.

So my 2009 KTM 300 EXC is getting a bit old with 90 hours on it and I really like the XC range so went a bought a new 2011 300 XC, road legal in UK.

post-13825-1280202477.jpg

post-13825-1280202505.jpg

Did not have time to set it up so next weekend rode my trusted EXC in British Enduro Championship Knighton 2 day enduro in mid Wales. Had not ridden a 2 day in 20+ years but my mate Ian convinced me to do it and got me a late entry as a visitor from USA. We walked the special tests friday, first test was a nice old school mx test on farm fields with some some hills and jumps, 2nd test was more cross country with rougher going and a gully/stream that seemed to be be used by local farmer for cleaning out cows and pigs, didn't want to fall of in that. Saturday would be 3 laps of 45 miles for pro/experts and 2 laps for me, sunday 2 laps for pro/expert and 1 for me with similar course but few extra loops. Weather was nice, dry and warm so dust would be an issue, got caught up behind another rider on first test so lost bit of time, second test was OK. Check times were Ok on 1st lap but got tigher second lap so pushed hard and other than getting stuck behind other riders cleaned checks OK and other tests went fine, not brilliant but reasonable. So back home, clean filter and basic repairs, was going to change rear tyre but as only 1 lap sunday no point, but when we got back sunday morning organizers had changed plans so now everyone was doing 2 laps plus 3 extra tests so rear tyre decision was not best, plus need to sort out more goggles, others were suprised and trying to get exra fuel, not best organisation. Also realized at this time that in so many falls I had probably cracked my ribs again even though I had on a chest protector, had sore head from hitting on low tree. Check times for sunday were same as 2nd lap saturday so on tight checks had to push to clean them but did that OK, on tests I was last going around and had more dust issues but managed OK. So pleased to finish clean on time both days, 5 hours riding per day so good news. Test times were not great, thought I rode them Ok but came 8th out of 15 in o/40 B class over 2 days, much room for improvement.

So finally got few hours on the new 2011 300 XC and very impresed, forks especially are amazing. Put on stiffer rear spring and lowered needle, put in mousses and although still bit rich as it had been bit rainy felt it would be Ok to keep it bit smoother. 2.5hr HS on a well used track so would be good test. In the morning the kids race was wet but by time our race started it had cleared up and with wind was drying quickly. I started out slow but as I got more confidence in bike got quicker and quicker and the faster I went the easier it was to ride. With rich jetting went onto reserve at about 2 hours so had quick refuel then back out to the finish and came in 3rd in o/40 B class so not too bad. Very happy with the bike, XC is much better gearbox ratios than the EXC (WXC) and now with 6 speed is awesome, but the suspension is fantastic, I got bit tired and was sitting down through rough sections were others were getting beat up standing. Now leaned jetting more and even better, awesome bike, looking fwd to getting to ride it again.

Dai,

really enjoy the reports of your travels and adventures. Congrats on the finish and the new KTM. Put in some actions pics! Or at least you and the bike covered in Welsh mud. :rolleyes:

Spyder

That's a pretty nice looking bike right there! :rolleyes: You get to have so many fun adventures in your travels. B)

Interesting report. So different from SD reports. Photos please.

A couple more action photos of me in typical Welsh enduros from last year.

post-13825-088203400 1280461940_thumb.jp

post-13825-016760600 1280461957_thumb.jp

And video from couple of weeks ago.

Maeshafn July 2010

As a side note to the trip in the last couple of days we recovered 4 old Maicos from a barn, they belong to my friends Ian and Steve who are brothers and together won British Sidecar Enduro Championship about 10 times. Ian is now a top over 40 solo rider, Steve was the sidecar driver but only rides occassionally now, see pic of them on sidecar, 650cc based KTM motor monster.

post-13825-081101100 1280462762_thumb.jp

Anyway next time I am over they have engineering company so should have done basic strip down and beadblast all parts and I will be starting to rebuild them. Aim is to do a few classic enduros on them then next ride the Welsh 2 Day enduro, a 150 mile per day classic that this year for first time a twin shock class. Still need to figure out what they have but they seem to be reasonably complete:

74 400 MX

78 440 MX

79 400 Enduro

81 490 enduro

So should be fun project especially after getting spoilt with all these new bikes, photos and more info the rebuild to follow.