Mauricio

KLR 650 vs. DR 650 SE a novice confusion

Hi

This is my second post

I have been doing more research to find which one suits better for me

KLR 650 or the DR 650 SE

I went to the store, seating on the bike I started to find right away some differences, but don’t know if they are important.

KLR: The seat is wider so it was like riding a horse for the first time, was little uncomfortable between the legs when having the legs on the floor. Had RPM instrument, suspension was stronger not bouncing so much (don’t know if it is good or bad).Wind shield.

DR 650SE: Seat slim, more comfortable between the legs when standing on the floor, suspension bounced and no wind shield.

The seller said that the wind shield was a plus when you ride a lot of freeway, true?

MORE IMPORTANT

I already read three reviews that state that above 60-65 miles/h in the freeway handles of the KLR 650 will start to vibrate in a scary way and when you arrive to your destination your hands are numbed.

I need your insight please about the vibration, seats and suspension.

Thanks

Mauricio

Hi

This is my second post

I have been doing more research to find which one suits better for me

KLR 650 or the DR 650 SE

I went to the store, seating on the bike I started to find right away some differences, but don’t know if they are important.

KLR: The seat is wider so it was like riding a horse for the first time, was little uncomfortable between the legs when having the legs on the floor. Had RPM instrument, suspension was stronger not bouncing so much (don’t know if it is good or bad).Wind shield.

DR 650SE: Seat slim, more comfortable between the legs when standing on the floor, suspension bounced and no wind shield.

The seller said that the wind shield was a plus when you ride a lot of freeway, true?

MORE IMPORTANT

I already read three reviews that state that above 60-65 miles/h in the freeway handles of the KLR 650 will start to vibrate in a scary way and when you arrive to your destination your hands are numbed.

I need your insight please about the vibration, seats and suspension.

Thanks

Mauricio

i have rode both bikes but bought the dr 650 and to date am really pleased!!! i'm almost done doing the mods that will make it handles the dirt. but if i had it to do all over again i would go with a xr650l do to more after market parts support. with that said the DR is way more dirt worthy than the KLR but mods are a must for either bike most of the complaints such as suspension can be resolved through mods. B)

well Mauricio... it's been two months... did you buy anything?

I think chickenheart is right on base with the 3 Japanese options

more dirt-XLR

50/50- DR

more street-KLR

My KLR is smooth as ice on the freeway at 80mph, and I run Dunlop D606 knobbies. The wider seat is great for me because just getting to the dirt can be a long ride in itself. The little windshield is great at freeway speeds. Suspension is good for most things, but leaves something to be desired if you are planning to ride extremely hard off-road or jump your bike. Reliability=Excellent: 13,000 miles so far including lots of pretty hard dirt riding with no issues.

On an overall rating, I think Chickenheart & Bikeslut have it nailed:

more dirt-XLR

50/50- DR

more street-KLR

Here is an interesting comparison page on the subject with a great specs chart. The page focuses on each bikes adventure-tourability.

http://www.daedalusfilms.com/dualsportcomparison.htm

They have a good point there related to the new KLRs, and I would take that seriously depending on how you plan to use your motorcycle.

Good luck and RIDE ON !

I believe one of our members here is going to be selling his DR soon. He is the kind of guy that really takes good care of his bike, and it is in great shape. Ken