Andy

Using street riding gear for the new toy?

So as some of you have read in the intro forum, I'll be pickign up an '87 Honda XL600R tomorrow. I've never had an offroad bike before, but I've got a full arsenal of racetrack gear that I use with I'm on the R6. Will track boots (Sidi) work for dual sport riding? Obviously I'm going to want to invest in a riding suit that isn't my two-piece leather one, that might get a bit uncomfortable after a few hours in the dirt (mmmm....gritty underpants...lol), but will it work for the time being while I"m getting used to the bike? What do you guys recommend?

I wouldnt recomend riding anything other than easy dirt roads with out real motocross style boots. They protect and give you a good solid feeling when you are standing up on the bike riding through the rough stuff. As far as the clothing, Im kind of a T-shirt guy in this hot weather but there are plenty of good longsleeves availabe with padded elbows and such and most breath pretty well to keep you cool. Riding pants, you will find are very nice on the long rides because of their silky lining material that saves you from the rash you get from sliding all across the seat all day. They make pants that tuck into the boots as well as go over, one caution on the pants that go over the boot though... yuor pantleg sometimes will decide to get caught on the footpeg as you casually put your foot down at a stop light or similar place, causing you and bike to fall to the ground for no apparant reason to those watching you. :unsure: This usually results in a bruised ego and broken brake levers thats all, just a thought......

I wouldnt recomend riding anything other than easy dirt roads with out real motocross style boots.

one caution on the pants that go over the boot though... yuor pantleg sometimes will decide to get caught on the footpeg as you casually put your foot down at a stop light or similar place

Good tips Tommy! I just ordered a pair of Thor Static pants with the zip-off lower leg for Summer. I keep that in mind when I have the lower legs on.

Andy-

You can get by with street gear, but chances are good that it's going to get pretty mangled, scuffed, scratched, or even torn to smithereens when you hit the trails. Every time I've gone out with the intent of caution, I crash. :unsure:

If budget is a concern and you don't mind someone else's used stuff, check ebay or craigslist. If you are interested in new dirt gear, you can get a whole set-up of O'neal or Bilt from Cycle Gear for a couple of hundred bucks. Just my $.02, but i would keep the track gear nice for track days...

Good luck and see you on the trail. :lol:

Just my $.02, but i would keep the track gear nice for track days...

I agree with Rob - Bite the bullet and drop a couple of hundred bucks on gear so you can keep your leathers in good shape for the track......besides, you won't be pulling the speeds on the dirt bike that you'll be pulling on the road bike and you'lll be hotter than hell in a set of leathers riding in the dirt.........I'd recommend you get yourself a good "dirt" helmet, googles, gloves, moto-X boots, knee/elbow pads (I have some BMX pads that work fine for me), and chest protector (eventually). That being said, at a minimum I'd wear a pair of -----kicker boots with jeans and some sort of rugged jacket (jean jacket in a pinch) at the moment.

I have the Thor Static pants and I love'em....rarely wear my other moto pants anymore.....nice to be able to zip off the lowers.....especially in this part of the country....