Yesitslegal

D.O.T approval? Any info?

post-651-1172159636_thumb.jpgFirst time writer, long time reader. Hello all, I'm new to the forums. I just got a 07 KTM EXC 450 and have been riding it every chance I get. Like most people on this webpage, I can't leave well enough alone. I've removed the reflectors, installed the small Baja Designs LED Taillight and fender, and put on tiny little not DOT blinkers. My question is, have any of you had any issues with the USFS or CHP actually looking at the blinkers or reflectors and writting fix-it tickets. I got pulled over on Black Canyon last weekend by the USFS and the guy just laughed and was totally cool once he saw I had a plate. I'm most concerned with the local Sherriffs and CHP's as you should see them rubber neck as I go by.

Any info or experiences would be great. I hope to hook up and ride with some of you soon.

Dan

My question is, have any of you had any issues with the USFS or CHP actually looking at the blinkers or reflectors and writting fix-it tickets. I got pulled over on Black Canyon last weekend by the USFS and the guy just laughed and was totally cool once he saw I had a plate. I'm most concerned with the local Sherriffs and CHP's as you should see them rubber neck as I go by.

Any info or experiences would be great. I hope to hook up and ride with some of you soon.

Dan

Dan, Welcome aboard. Most law enforcement wouldn't go into detail unless you do something stupid, like speed, wheelies, driving reckless. However there are some who do not like our sport and will do anything to keep us from doing it.

That is why I try to keep my XR650L close to stock as I can. The stock blinkers are easier to see. You can replace reflectors with reflector tape.

My 2cents.

Join us at the Desert Dash.

John :huh:

Welcome to the collective! There are allot of great people in this group! :huh:

I ride a XR650L and have changed out my OEM turn lights and brake light due to some trail scuffing and a personnal preference for smaller, lighter & brighter LEDs. I've done a bit of riding on & off road since I got the bike 8 months ago (just about to hit 5,000 miles). I have not had any problems with SD Sheriffs, CHP or USFS at all. I've had them come up behind me and beside be quite often and I've seen them look me over and then move on. The USFS / Rangers always seem to look at the spark arrestor first (I understand the good reason for that).

I have a nephew who is a San Diego County Sheriff's Deputy (who also rides) so I asked him about the same question you posted up. He said they really won't bother you unless your lights are so dim that they present a safety hazard or if you don't use them to turn in the first place, the first thing they always look at is to see if you have a plate and that the tags are current. If your bike is blowing flames out of your exhaust you might get stopped too.

My thought on it all is that most of the people on bikes who get stopped are speeding or riding in such a way that they draw attention to themselves by riding too aggressively, not being attentive or just being plain dumb. (like the groups we see on the freeways riding wheelies or drag racing on side streets)

Some of the other guys here may agree with me when I say that our Dual Sports just don't seem to attract the attention of Law Enforcement like a GSXR1300 going 135+ MPH on the freeways does.

I've been stopped twice on my son-in -laws CBR just cruising around Lakeside. Both time the deputies just wanted to check the bike out and talk about their own crotch rockets and where they ride.

Good luck and hope to meet you on a ride sometime.

Gunner

I too have non dot tail light and blikers. I don't think I will ever have a problem with law enforcement. Any problems that come up will probably be after an accident, once the lawyers get envolved. For example if you are sitting waiting to turn left and some one hits you from behind, they could claim not to see you because your bike didn't have dot lights and blinkers. I don't know how many insurance companys would pay claims if they could prove you modified your bike to not be street legal. Does this mean I am going to have to read the fine print on my insurance policy. Ken

I have non DOT turn signals on all my street legal bikes (2 dualsports and one road bike).....never had any issue even though my rear turn signals look like Christmas twinkle lights......as stated by others, I think the most important thing is to keep the plate stickers current......so once you break off the big honking turn signals on that new EXC525 (or melt the one on the right side with your exhaust) you can replace them with something a tad bit smaller :huh:

Whoops.....just re-read the lead off post and see that you have a 450 with Baja kit rather than the "Big honking stock lights" that come on the new 07 525.....my mistake.....and BTW, congrats on the new ride.....

Thanks for the great info guys. Hopefully I'll hook up with some of you to ride. I'll be at Ocotillo Wells this Sunday to ride, but with some people w/o DS Bikes.

Thanks Again.

Dan