Sign in to follow this  
TrophyHunter

Things to think about.

There have been several rants about LEO's who've been less than professional (opinion) in handling situations. Nobody here would ever support an attack on LE but this is just a reminder there is no "routine" traffic stop. This one is particularly bad but attacks happen daily in SD, they just don't make the news. LE just handles it.

Not looking for absolution, just understand the LEO you may be dealing with just came from a far more serious situation and still has some adrenaline flowing.

April 26, 2010

Michael Paul Robertson was arrested Saturday morning for the attack Friday evening in Liberty City, which left Carlos Castillo with severe head and brain injuries and several broken bones. Robertson’s girlfriend was arrested as an accomplice. Robertson, 33, knew he was wanted by Miami police. That’s probably why he fled after being pulled over Friday night in Liberty City, Loftus said. But Robertson, already wanted for shooting a gun during an argument with the mother of his child, returned — with a cinder block. Robertson came up behind Castillo, who had stopped Robertson and his girlfriend, and slammed the block into the uniformed officer’s head with such force that police said it broke into pieces. Castillo, 37, crumpled to the street, where police said Robertson kicked him in the head and chest. Then he jumped into Castillo’s unmarked black Dodge Charger, and ran the detective over. Monica Banks, 25, had been handcuffed by Castillo and watched as her boyfriend attacked the detective. She later was uncooperative and lied to police when questioned, Loftus said. Robertson drove away in the Charger, leaving the detective in a pool of blood. Castillo was so covered in blood that officers who arrived at the scene minutes later thought he’d been shot, Loftus said.

Castillo, a 15-year veteran of the force and currently part of the robbery intervention unit, was transported to Ryder Trauma Center in Miami. The assault left him with multiple skull fractures, brain injuries, a liver laceration, seven broken ribs and a spine injury, among other wounds. Castillo remained in critical but stable condition Saturday evening.

Catch guy...............put bullet in head...end of story. :ph34r:

This is why when I get pulled over, my hands are in plain sight, I say "YES SIR" or "YES MA'AM" and comply with their instructions completely.

If I have an issue, I'll take it up with a judge. I don't need to give a law enforcement officer ANY reason to be jumpy, nervous, or anything of the sort. I don't feel like aggravating someone with a gun, no matter what clothing they are in.

Don't break the law, don't be a jerk, but also know your rights and remember the line, "Sir, I do not consent to searches."

.....but also know your rights and remember the line, "Sir, I do not consent to searches."

Absolutely. You have the right to refuse & I would. No sense being delayed and having your stuff looked through. You have to produce your license and registration, that's it. Everything else "can you step out of the car?"....ask if you have the right to refuse it, then do.

.....but also know your rights and remember the line, "Sir, I do not consent to searches."

Everything else "can you step out of the car?"....ask if you have the right to refuse it, then do.

I didn't know I could ask that, good idea.

I agree with strega and if ever pulled over, I try to be cooperative and respectful, and I've tried to teach my kids the same......I think in general a lack of respect for authority is a growing problem and an underlying cause for some of these issues....whether towards teachers, parents, Law enforcement or just other people...Respect goes a long way.....too bad it seems "old fashioned" lately.