Sign in to follow this  
isde97

MotoGP ride

Looking for other riders going to MotoGP at Laguna Seca July 23-25.

Here is the General itinerary:

July 20 Carlsbad-Big Bear, via Ramona, Warner Springs, Anza.

July 21 Big Bear - Paso Robles, via Angeles Crest, Lake Hughes, Carizzo Plain

July 22 layover in Paso Robles to visit Hearst Castle with Family (traveling in parallel)

July 23 Paso Robles - Laguna Seca, currently planning on going through Parkfield, but this may change.

24,25 USGP

26 Salinas- Santa Maria, via Hollister, Parkfield, Pozo

27 Santa Maria- Ojai, exploring Santa Ynez Valley and Santa Barbara area.

28 Ojai- Carlsbad, probably back through Angeles NF and Idylwild.

There might be a dirt road or two along the way.

EDIT: if I can figure out attachments, this one contains URLs for google maps of the various legs.

Laguna_route.txt

Howdy ISDE

I am planning on getting to Moto GP but I dont have that sort of time available. What do you mean by traveling parallel with family. Maybe we could hook up along the way some how. I will proly tent it. keep me posted

Kiwi Wayne

The wife and kids are leaving Wednesday and we will meet up in Paso Robles, do Heartst Castle, then continue on up to Monterey. After the GP, they will be continuing on to visit my wife's family while I travel home. Hooking up for part of the ride would be great.

I have done similar rides in the past on a street bike, and this is a good time. I am really looking forward to a DS take on it. A pseudo theme is going to be San Andreas, since much of the route is right on top of the faultline.

MattW

KTM 990

Is your route on road or off. I will be heading up on thurs am, have not decided a route yet. let me know

Thanks

Jason

Dirt roads where possible/practicable, I would guess 30-40% dirt. I think the routes work out to near 1000 miles each way.

that could be fun! PM me, we could meet up and ride a few times before hand and figure out the whole ride. I might seriously be intereseted in this excursion.

-Jason

Dirt roads where possible/practicable, I would guess 30-40% dirt. I think the routes work out to near 1000 miles each way.

If you check out the text file in the first post, you can see goggle map urls that you can paste into your browser and see the current proposal. Check it out and let me know what you think.

You're doing a killer route up there..........we used to do similar, about 800-1000 miles up to Monterey over 2 days, then we'd usually blast back in a day after the races. Was always on street bikes though, a blazing pace on twisties, adrenalin flowing on the way to watch the races. Fun stuff.

Don't think I'm goin' this year, but it sure sounds good.........especially doing some dirt on the way up.

We'll see.

I've done the Monterey-SD ride in 1 day several times, last time was 3 years ago. Never again without a good reason, too many good roads that have to be bypassed to do that.

A background theme for this ride is 'San Andreas', if you look, you can see that a lot of the route is in close proximity to the fault line. This is more by accident than design, at some point I noticed the parallel.

Bumpin' this back up to see if there are any takers. I just got my bike back together after about 2 months (basically, I suck). In spite of my effort to get a lot of preparation done ahead of time, a lot is coming down to the last minute. For instance, I am going to need a welder to help me modify OEM KTM racks to accept Pelican cases from Caribou, which use HB racks. HB makes the racks for KTM, but their racks are slightly different.

I am completely making this up as I go along, but I am interested in doing a shakedown ride this weekend, probably Saturday. Ramona/Warner Springs/ Palomar Truck Trail is what I am thinking, but I may be open for something else.

MattW

KTM 990

i wish i had a bike with a cushier seat like your 990 or a 950 or a Vstorm transalp or bmw800/1200gsa type of bike..that ride sounds awesome...but a bit too much on my 530exc with a stock seat :)