Sign in to follow this  
Joliet

Installing New tires

I will be installing a couple of new tires before the Desert Dash. It's nice to have an extra pair of hands for the job. If any of you are thinking likewise my shop is open for the task. If enough are interested we could make a weekend day of it. I wouldn't mind setting my suspension too. If only a few are interested maybe we could do it some evening. There is always cold beer here. I live in Vista. Ken

If you want a spare hand don't have chips and beer... that occupies both arms!!

It would be nice to go over the suspension set-up on the bike. I've fiddled with the front but never played with the shock on the DRZ. On my DL650 the adjustments are easy.

If you do it this weekend I would be happy to show up and help out/learn. I've never changed a tire in my life and I have a new set of K270s arriving this week for my KLR.

I made a desert set up today. Desert tires with new tubes. I would encourage everyone who has not changed their own tire to do it. At the very least you should go where people are doing it and learn. It is not fun nor easy(to do it right). You do not want to be learning on the road, or in the desert! Here is a little thing I learned today. The wheels that I had purchased had some cool rubber stopper doohickeys on the bottom of the valve stems. I thought they were to keep crap from going into the hole in the rim. Their main purpose is to allow the valve stem some slack so that when your tire spins on the rim, it does not necessarily sheer the valve stem off the tube. I have had two brand new HD tubes do that to me. We are not all as lucky as Ride Orange. I have installed rim locks to help prevent spinning in the future, but any added protection is nice to have. The same effect can be achieved by putting rubber washers between the nut and the rim on the valve stem. Hope this helps someone!

Dont forget one important item. When you change your tires in the garage, use only the supplies and tools you carry on your bike. This way, you will notice if you are missing something in order to fix your flat on the trail in the middle of nowwhere like tools and air cartridges!