Sign in to follow this  
650hucker

Interesting weekend...

First half of this story is my weekend DH MTB race. Second half is the motorcycle portion. Read both, one, or neither B)

As many of you know I'm a downhill MTB racer, and this weekend was the national at Fontana. Needless to say I had been training ALOT for this race and was ready to win. Practice is going great until I get to these washed out, off camber corners. I run a semi-slick (Bald in the middle with cornering knobs) tire to be faster rolling, but with a cost of traction, so I decided to go back to a traditional knobby. As soon as I switch tires, I get a pinch flat. Alright, well, I'll add more air. Next run, another flat. Add still more air, and the next two runs go great. It's now 11:50 and the race starts at 12:30 and I'm the first one to leave (pre-seeded). I foolishly decide to take another run.

I got a flat. Yay! I ran back to the car to fix it and made it up to the top again out of breath and glad to hear I missed my start time so I can rest, since they were going to put me in at the end of the group.

Finally they call me up and I get to the start gate ready to go, super nervous, but ready. I take off out of the gate and nail the first three rock sections pretty well, then I pick up some speed through the rest of the sections. At this point I'm at +2.71 seconds in front of the leader. Great! Next up the washed out corners. These corners have to be hit fast, and they're short sweeping S-berms. The dirt is this horrible ball-bearing crap, you know, fine gravel on top of hardpack. I make it through there way faster than I thought I could and now I'm at +7.89 on a 3 minute course! All that's left is a small rock section to a long sprint to the finishing rock garden. I've got this for sure! I pedal up into the rocks and psssssssssssssshhhh. Pinch Flat! F*** !

I get off the bike and run down the rest of the course with the bike, which is about a half mile, and end up in last place. All that training down the drain. Oh well. It was fun. And I got some good pictures at least.

SECOND PART:

After the race Twin Brothers Racing and a suprise guest put on a heck of stunt show for us, on a old, cracked, sandy asphalt road, with speed bumps to boot! These guys are champs! Who was the guest? Jason Britton, the guy off the speed channel with the sportbike show (Can't remember the name!). Lot's of nice wheelies, bunny hops, stoppies, burnouts, and...NO TICKETS! UNFAIR. :(

Also, some guy on a Kawi KLX 250 DS was riding in front of the XC guys honking the horn to clear the course. That'll be my job next time.

Enough words. PICTURES. YAY. MTB photo credit goes to Mike Lord at Six3events.com and his crazy lense.

Untitled-1.png Race run

806413144_3dmhp-L.jpg Practice

806409593_TjcD9-XL.jpg Practice

Jason's Awesome bike

nationals037.jpg

I want a seat on my gas tank!

nationals038.jpg

One of the nicest people to talk to as well.

nationals040.jpg

No handed wheely, In a circle!

nationals105.jpg

Sorry for the blury-ness

nationals125.jpg

nationals136.jpg

nationals141.jpg

And once we got home, we had to clean out the garage to get a new door...Which meant all the bikes outside. Except my 426, it was getting some maintence work inside...

door013.jpg

That's my weekend for you guys...*EXHALES*

Nice write up Wil.. Bummer about the flats..

I met Jason a few years ago at a bike night in Riverside.. Very talented and extremely nice..

Could it be a certain member of this here website thingy is starting to rub off on you?????? the tire gods are turning there focus,i can picture him now all crouched in a dark corner somewhere with a voodoo doll............

The giant faith was sick. It's Josh's bike, not sure if you know him or not. Rides smooth, a little too steep and long for me though, not the greatest jumper.

oh snap!

you're talking about ME, huh?

bastard

;)

Huh huh you said "oh snap"