Sign in to follow this  
Klrscumbag

Opinions on a used 01 WR250R (Plated).

Howdy,

I'm selling my DR650 this Saturday and thinking of picking up a 01 Yamaha WR250R (Plated). I am going to try the more dirt approach to dual sporting and want to know more about the Yamie. Any thoughts/opinions/bias? TIA.

Baron

Howdy,

I'm selling my DR650 this Saturday and thinking of picking up a 01 Yamaha WR250R (Plated). I am going to try the more dirt approach to dual sporting and want to know more about the Yamie. Any thoughts/opinions/bias? TIA.

Baron

I have a 450, but I'm sure Crawdaddy will chime in...he just moved to a Yamaha 250 and seems to love it.

Ok- a little more info

If you meant 10 yamaha wr250r, I'll let crawdaddy or jaynen chime in; they both have that bike and won't shut up about how great it is

If you meant 01 wr250f, I bought mine last year from trophyhunter...he has the wr450f with a plate and had no need for the green sticker 250. On its maiden voyage, I tried to bypass the starting ritual, and paid with a kick starter through my boot...F'ouch! Since then, I have decided to take the time to do it right, and starting is much easier

The bike is very light and flickable, especially considered against my other bikes; DR350, DRZ, tw200 and XRL. It jumps very well, and mine has only let me hit the ground once; its weight and moderate seat height allows me to save it easily. Its not a torque monster...keep the revs up, and it still has enough power to lift the wheel over most obstacles. Good suspension, and decent ergos

Fake name, tntmo, trophy and Wil have all ridden my bike, and the torque was the only negative mentioned (oh...and kick starting hot)

It is a bike thàt likes to be ridden hard; it performs best that way...lugging it like the XRL or even DRZ will not let you appreciate its strengths.

As for a DS mount...its not that comfortable and I wouldn't want to put tons of miles on the hi-comp quarter liter engine, but using the plate to explore AB, or run up to Hixon? I say hell yeah!

Yep, the slutWR is a fun machine as long as you don't stall it out too often. Had a blast riding the fire road on it.

if you are talking the newer wr250R everyone i know who rides them loves them. one guy rode cross country on one said it was great.

if you are talking the dirt model wr250F with a conversion on it that is a very good bike. my daughter rides an 07 wr250F and we love that thing.

i know that the 01 is different than the 01 with the aluminum frame and newer designs but the wr F's have always been great bikes.

cant go wrong with a yamaha. < that was a period for dramatic effect....hahaha :lol:

thumpertalk has a whole section about the wr that is very informative. including all the free mods to make it prefom like the yz power wise as well as others.

I owned this bike. It was my second bike ever. I loved it. Very maneuverable and very fun to ride! I rode it in Baja, and raced it in GPs. If the price is good, get it! You won't be disappointed.

Yup,

I was looking to upgrade my old XR250 to a plated WR250f. I was watching some bikes for sale this past month on CL, a nice one was for sale here in Encinitas. For a month the seller wanted $2900, last week it dropped to $2500, now it's sold. I wonder who bought it Klrscumbag?

Anyways,

I've decided to hold out for a TE310. A few of my reasons are:

- Weighs is the same as the WR250f

- Easier to get at certain parts for maintenance

- It's plated from the factory so late model years are available

- Fuel Injection

- The factory 310 over bore addresses the torque issue that the 250s have

- E-start

Only problems are the TE310 cost more and is hard to find used.

Nonetheless, a plated WR250f is a great bike, and if a super deal popped up I'd buy one.

Howdy,

Baron

If the price is right and you don't care about 5 speed vs. 6 speed and/or the lack of magic button........buy it since it's a great bike and rare to find one plated......OR buy Erick's WR400.....