Sign in to follow this  
robertaccio

KTMs Electric dirt bike the time is now

yeah that thing is crazy. seems a bit heavy tho. the ZERO is 150 lbs and i think is comparable on speed and batt life, they are 9000 bucks. and a replacement batt is 3500 bucks if you want a spare or yours burns out. im sure ktms bike and batts will be more.

yamaha has a volt bike coming in 2011 also.

hey btw what are you doin robert...you are a husky guy, you dont like ktms :king: hahaha :blink:

PS I love all motor-driven 2 wheelers and some motordriven 4 wheelers of the euro type (Eng,Ger,It even some Fr too) as well.

i was teasing you. i know you are a husky guy.

me too i love all bikes, i tease about scooters but heck even those are fun.

not too many french cars here in the u.s. but i would love a citroen or pugeot rallye car :lol:

Has anyone test drove the Zero DS (Dual Sport)? http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-ds/

It is $10k, but there is a $1k federal tax credit and a $1,500 state tax credit. I estimate sales tax and fees to be around $1k, so you could probably get out the door for around $8,500.

If you drive it to work and save $50 a week in gas (compared to a car), that is $2,400 annual savings. In theory, it could pay for itself in less than 4 years.

Seems like a horrible dual sport, 67mph top speed, and 50 mile range?

The electric dirtbikes could surely only be competetive with 100cc 4 strokes right? Or am I missing something?

it has 50lbs of torque at 0rpms and weighs 160lbs, no clutch, no stalling, 1 speed, revs to 18,000rpm, completely linear power. On a really technical course, you would be running over 450s all the way to the finish line.

is that a period for dramatic effect? :(

i do agree the zero is a cool concept. i wish you got 2 battery pack with it for 9 grand tho.

if you could ride, cool down while starting a charge on 1 pack, swap out to the other pack ride some more, come back and swap again you could ride all day without having to wait too long between motos. but at 3500 bucks per batt pack B)

What the heck kind of unit is a "Umin"?

I think Umin-1 must mean revolutions / minute. Must be a web page formatting issue.

"Motor effective horsepower 7.4 (10) / 6000 [kW (hp) / Umin-1]

Motor peak performance 22 (30) / 6000 [kW (hp) / Umin-1]

Motor torque 43 / 500 [Nm / Umin-1]

Maximum motor speed 6600 [umin-1]"

43 N*m is 31.715 lbf*ft

And 31.715 lbf*ft at 500 RPM is pretty stout, I think.

As I recall, my 2000 GSXR-750 only made a peak torque of around 54 lbf*ft at something like 5000+ RPM, and my R1 was like 72 lbf*ft.

B) I was working and took forever to finish my post, so of course it was outdated.

50 lbf*ft at 0 RPM would be even more awesome!

if you could ride, cool down while starting a charge on 1 pack, swap out to the other pack ride some more, come back and swap again you could ride all day without having to wait too long between motos. but at 3500 bucks per batt pack ;)

the accessories page lists the battery pack at $2,950: http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/shop/index....dex&cPath=2

hopefully this will decrease substantially over time