Levvy

Buying new tires, should I replace the tubes?

I'm getting a new set of tires for my KLR and replacing the stock ones. Should I be replacing the tubes as well? I haven't had any problem with them but I'm new to this whole tubed tires thing so I don't know if you are supposed to always replace the tube with the tire or not...

No, you don't have to replace the tubes. Just look at them closely to check if there's any serious scuff marks or wear on them, if not....they're good to go.

For your info, I run the heavy duty tubes in all my tires....they are more resistant to pinching the tube while running lower air pressure.

I change my tubes every 3 or so tire changes, or if I have a patched tube... some people figure, for $7 or so, why not?

You'll hear both answers, if you ask enough people

I change my tubes every 3 or so tire changes, or if I have a patched tube... some people figure, for $7 or so, why not?

Good point !! The only reason I run a cheap tube is if I get a flat in the heavy duty one, then as soon as I get the next new tire, I replace the cheap tube again with the HD.

What I plan on doing is every couple of tire changes, use the tubes I carry as spares and get new ones to carry. The down side to this is that I will be running thin tubes because the ones I carry in my fender pack are thin to save on weight and bulk. Until I start having problems, this is the method I am going to use.

Ken

I used to spend big money on the HD tubes. They fail just like other tubes. I am now running a cheaper tube, but putting slime in the rear for added protection from punctures! I think I have about 10 18 inch rear tubes left. 6 bucks each. Also added addition of rim locks. This is a must if running in sand and such. Any tube will fail when the valve stem gets ripped off from tire spinning!

The Heavy Duty Tubes(made of Real Rubber) will not pinch as easy, and when you get a hole, they will not tear as easy and you will get a slow flat. These HD tubes, because they will not tear, can most likely be repaired on the road. The inexpesive tubes(not Real Rubber) will just blow out and tear, thus unlikely not repairable on the trail and go flat really quick. This is not want you want when travelling fast. I run the HD tubes as my life is worth the extra $15.00 and I change them about evert 2-3 tires upon inspection.