Joliet

Mickey's Search and facebook thread

Agave thorn follow-up:

Only one of my many Agave nicks on the legs has hurt like hell. The doctor surmised that it was either because the needle was still in there or poison. An x-ray and visual exam did not reveal a needle so I guess it was agave poison. It does not hurt to sqeeze the skin around the inflammation, but hurts bad when moving my foot, walking, etc. Doctor prescribed an ointment that seems to be helping a bit and recommended neosporin or regular pain/anti-inflammatory medication over-the-counter. Hope this helps.

i use neosporin on some stuff but if i want to get out poison from a spider or bug bite i use "draw out"

Doug/Missy - Thanks for reaching out - I think I speak for everyone when I say that we're all family and we're all here to help however we can.....

Front Page Story/Update in Section "B" of today's Union Tribune......essential message is we still have no leads on this missing teen one year later (regardless of classification as "missing" or "runaway") - Hopefully renewed media exposure will help generate new/fresh leads........Please keep the family in your thoughts/prayers - thanks

Here is the version that appeared in the paper today, on page B1:

A year has passed since teen disappeared

Mother desperate to find out what happened to her son, who vanished in the desert

J. Harry Jones - U-T

Sixteen-year-old Mickey Guidry of San Marcos vanished a year ago deep in the Anza-Borrego Desert.

The Jeep Cherokee he had stolen from his parents on Thanksgiving Day 2009 was later found disabled on a rugged trail nearly eight miles from the nearest highway.

He remains missing today.

It's been a long year, said Mickeys mother, Missy Perucca. Your whole world is upside down. Nothing is the same anymore. Its one of those things that changes your life forever.

Like so many whose children have vanished, Perucca said the worst part is not knowing what occurred.

Ive run through every possible scenario, she said. There are so many different things that could have happened. We cant even guess.

The case seemed clear-cut at first.

With the history with Mickey, we initially classified it as a runaway I think justifiably so, said Sheriffs Department Detective Patrick Yates. He had done it before. He had reason to stay away. He wrecked his dads motorcycle, and now hed just wrecked his dads Jeep.

A week before that Thanksgiving, Mickey took his stepfathers motorcycle without permission from the family home and went joy-riding in the mountains of Riverside County. He wrecked the bike and was walking down a road when a park ranger asked why.

Mickey made up a whopper of a story. He said he had been abducted by motorcycle thieves but had escaped. A search began right away for the abductors until one deputy figured out Mickeys lie.

His parents grounded him and said he couldnt go to the desert for the Thanksgiving holiday, as he planned to do with friends, because of the motorcycle incident and because he recently brought home a report card from San Marcos High School with poor grades.

On Thanksgiving 2009, Perucca went into her sons room around 11 a.m. She thought he was sleeping in, but he wasnt there. Then she noticed the missing Jeep.

The parents filed a stolen-car report with the Sheriffs Department and deactivated Mickeys cell phone as punishment. They knew he had gone to the desert, but they had no idea where.

Perucca figured her son would return by Sunday. He didnt.

Because authorities thought Mickey was a runaway, little was done to find him in the beginning. There were some small-scale searches made by park rangers after hikers came upon the disabled Jeep on a trail designed for four-wheel drive off-roading. A bumper and side mirror had been ripped off, and one of the wheel rims was seriously bent, rendering the vehicle useless.

Inside were Mickeys wallet and cell phone charger but not the phone, which was reactivated the following Monday but never used.

Detectives learned that Mickey had gone to a campground near Ocotillo Wells and spent Thanksgiving with a girl he liked and her family. He stayed the night, but the next day the girls parents told him to go home and gave him enough gasoline to get back to San Marcos.

Instead, Mickey took off south that afternoon deep into the desert.

The first orchestrated, serious search was conducted three weeks later.

Sheriffs Search & Rescue Sgt. Don Parker said its possible that Mickeys remains could be anywhere within a 40- or 50-square-mile radius. Searches are still conducted every now and then, and officials wont give up, Parker said.

The Jeep broke down near an established hiking trail 7.8 miles south of state Route 78. About 1.5 miles north of the vehicle, searchers found a blanket that had been in the Jeep. Then they discovered a cover for the Jeeps spare tire near the top of a hill not far from where the blanket was recovered.

Yates and others think Mickey may have made it out of the desert. Although the location is remote, a lot of hikers and off-roaders frequent the area in the winter, especially during holidays.

Mickey could have been picked up by someone who did him harm, although Yates thinks thats the unlikeliest possibility.

Theres absolutely no evidence of foul play, he said.

Meanwhile, Mickeys mother tries to get through each day.

I want people to remember him, and if you know anything, please contact police, contact us, contact anybody, she said.

Glad people are still interested. I think about this every time I am driving out.

I read a good line the other day - "Family isn't about who has your blood, it's about who has your back!"

Doug, Missy, the police, friends, etc., can't possibly do it alone but collectively "WE" might be able to get some traction/closure......please pass on the latest news links to your extended family/friends.....

THANKS.

Interesting, one of these days when I make a meeting I'd like to talk to you, Crawdaddy, if possible, about this. I have a bit of experience with searches locally. I'm expecting that the sheriff's sar didn't release any info to you on searched grids or areas?

Actually, better to do this FTF.