Sign in to follow this  
Marbee40

Old railroad trestle

As some of you may know, my time here is growing shorter by the minute! I now depart on the 1st of March for Alaska (insert orchestra movie music here).

I've always wanted to see that LONG railroad trestle that everyone talks about. Big wooden thing that is out of commission, somewhere over just above S2 in the mountains?

If anyone know's where it is and if it's ride-able, I'd be interested in going along. Just a one-day thing. I can't go next weekend as I'm heading up to Chino for the w/e.

Lemme know!

Jim

Goat Canyon Trestle.

The line is back in operation, so like all active railroads, the rails and rails beds are off-limits. There are railroad police that patrol the line.

There was a recent thread on it... I am sure you can ride with a few miles of the bottom and hike to it.

As some of you may know, my time here is growing shorter by the minute! I now depart on the 1st of March for Alaska (insert orchestra movie music here).

I've always wanted to see that LONG railroad trestle that everyone talks about. Big wooden thing that is out of commission, somewhere over just above S2 in the mountains?

If anyone know's where it is and if it's ride-able, I'd be interested in going along. Just a one-day thing. I can't go next weekend as I'm heading up to Chino for the w/e.

Lemme know!

Jim

Sorry Jim the Carrizo Gorge railroad is active and the tresel(Goat Canyon) is off limits. They have thier own cops to patrol it as well. Private property. I would love to go there as well.

You can see some smaller ones on the border road from Tecate to Campo,

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Lemme know!Jim

The only access to view Goat Trestle is about 10 miles up (north) Carrizo Creek/gorge. This wash is just before Sweeny Pass on S2. You used to be able to drive or ride up Carrizo for quite a ways. However, I don't think you can ride up far enough for a good view. Take your hiking boots. Check with the Borrego State Park visitor's center (760 767 4205) to see if there are any current vehicle access limitations for Carrizo creek/gorge. The map below shows the approximate location of the Goat Canyon Trestle noted toward the bottom of the map where it says Tunnel. The gorge is narrow up there and you can’t walk by the trestle without seeing it.

Posted Image

Yeah, I sure wanted to try to get out there too but don't feel like trespassing to do it. Google Earth has Goat Trestle Canyon marked as a point of interest so it's easy to map out a trail on it.

Yeah, I sure wanted to try to get out there too but don't feel like trespassing to do it. Google Earth has Goat Trestle Canyon marked as a point of interest so it's easy to map out a trail on it.

You can get right up to the trestle from the bottom by going up Carrizo gorge. It's not trespassing until you step on the tracks... <_< I don't think you could ride all the way up. It's been years since I made that trip and I remember parking the 4WD and taking a bit of a hike to get up to the trestle...You might be able to get a bit further up the wash on a lightweight dual sport bike... :(

I don't mean to blow the wind out of anyones sails.

The last time I went up Carrizo Creek there is a gate. From there it is private property for a good time before returning to BLM. I am trying to meet the owner to ask for permission and a key. The Rail road does have a ROW (Right of Way) Deeded land up to 100-200' each side of the tracks. Therefore Tresspassing within 100-200'.

Just use caution. The fines are steep if caught near the tracks.

I don't mean to blow the wind out of anyones sails.

The last time I went up Carrizo Creek there is a gate. From there it is private property for a good time before returning to BLM. I am trying to meet the owner to ask for permission and a key. The Rail road does have a ROW (Right of Way) Deeded land up to 100-200' each side of the tracks. Therefore Tresspassing within 100-200'.

Just use caution. The fines are steep if caught near the tracks.

That's interesting since Carrizo Creek and the Gorge area south of S2 all the way to Hwy 8 are all contained within the Anza Borrego Desert State Park boundaries. The tracks themselves do show as 'non-park' but the area right up to them should still be state park open to public access, at least by foot travel. There may well be a locked gate up there now but that was not the case 15 years ago and the park boundaries in that area have not been changed recently. Carrizo Creek on the north side of S2 runs into the bombing range and is for sure gated... <_<

Check out these hike write ups done by a friend of a co-worker of mine.

http://www.stowell.org/trestle2000/

No way you are getting a bike any where near the trestle, but if you

want to hike it, let me know. I'd love to check it out and have no

problem doing these kind of hikes.