Would anyone be interested in a dirt riding practice day just like some road riding clubs have track days once or twice a year to practice their road riding skills? It wouldn't be too hard to set up some cones and do some practice drills.

Several years ago Cycle News on line published a series of articles by Gary Semics entitled the Fundamentals of Motocross. There are 47 absolute techniques of motocross. "Two fundamentals are the whole foundation of proper motocross technique. Maintaining the center of balance and mastering the use of all Five Controls." Here it is in a Word doc.

FUNDAMENTALS_OF_MOTOCROSS.DOC

I know an MSF certified instructor who teaches the MSF off road course (dirt bike school) who I will contact to see if he might be interested in spending a day with us. Being active duty military I had to take this course to be legal to ride on military installations that allow OHV use, it is a one day course and it is really worth the time.

Anyway I will contact the instructor to see if we can get something worked out.

Gunner

I'd be willing to pitch in if you can persuade him to do an SDAR version of the MSF course. I know I could learn something.

2Wheels:

I was thinking the first 17 absolutes would be beneficial for trail riding. The rest if you wanted to hone your racing skills.

Barry

I know an MSF certified instructor who teaches the MSF off road course (dirt bike school) who I will contact to see if he might be interested in spending a day with us. Being active duty military I had to take this course to be legal to ride on military installations that allow OHV use, it is a one day course and it is really worth the time.

Anyway I will contact the instructor to see if we can get something worked out.

Gunner

I'd be willing to pitch in if you can persuade him to do an SDAR version of the MSF course. I know I could learn something.

I'd like to join and will share expenses or pay the instructor directly; his option.

Thanks to all, for posting any info on teaching new or better ways of doing anything.

I can use the improvement.

Semper Fi

Troutte

Good article! Thanks... It get more interesting when you start thinking about your options and techniques.. I'm going to be practicing.. It's just like playing tennis or other sport.. when you know the correct technique, you advance and have more fun... I had a chance to read the article, but need to take it slowly and practice what it reads.... I think a common mistake for beginner riders is to come into a corner too fast and in the middle of the corner putting the front brake, then sliding off.... another common mistake is to be going too fast and finding some obstacle (whole, or rock or what ever), trying to break all the way to the barrier... sometimes it's better to look fast for the best option (even jumping it or going over it) rather than locking your brakes... In general, I believe it is important to ride at your skill level with out pushing yourself... that means going slow until you feel more comfortable with the motorcyle... increase your skill level little by little by incrementing the challenge...