Sign in to follow this  
robertaccio

Safari Tank USA ( a DS riders dream from Oz)

I've been tank shopping...these are even more pricey than most, but if you need 7+ gallons they would be great...like an explore in the outback!...

These are from australia also...kelly just sent me this one: http://www.nomadtanks.com.au/Tanks.php

Now that is a gas tank...the nomad tank looks a little more reasonable, but what about all the other stuff I pack on that spot?

I'm waiting on a new 3.8gal Clarke tank to arrive....hope that gives me enough range.

Is there a bottle that some people are using to hold extra fuel? I did some searching, but never saw anything.

Now that is a gas tank...the nomad tank looks a little more reasonable, but what about all the other stuff I pack on that spot?

I'm waiting on a new 3.8gal Clarke tank to arrive....hope that gives me enough range.

Is there a bottle that some people are using to hold extra fuel? I did some searching, but never saw anything.

lots of options... roto-pak on side racks or tail racks...

aluminum bottles like for camping fuel; I think MSR has some

I have seen more than one SDAR member pull out oil bottles that had gasoline in them, that they had stored in their backpacks. I used these last two options when I did some longer rides on the TW200.

Never needed any options with my 3.9 Clarke tank on my DRZ

Thanks BS for the info. As my soon to be X said "why do you want a larger gas tank, you'll just get farther out in the middle of no where before you run out of gas". My response "yeah, so".

I hadn't thought about the MSR bottles. I did see the roto-pax during a late night of web surfing. I haven't come across a ride yet that I need that much range, but I'm still looking.

I have the 3.9... I haven't run out of gas yet. I actually think your wife has the right idea... you just need to plan better. 150 miles is an AWFUL long way, and you should be able to milk that from your clarke tank.

It does have a reserve, and more on the right side when reserve runs out.

There is a reason all those big-azz tanks come from Australia... the Outback is really big; you may need it...

Rare that you would need it on a day trip, even in Baja, as long as you plan your day around a gas stop.

I've been researching death valley, a place I really want to visit and ride....the advriders are heading there end of March, which I considered...guess the fuel ranges up there are pretty long..our own little outback or sorts?..

like I was told 130 mile range (my current IF I carry extra) will make you miss some of the rides....head out 60 and turn around...

I've been researching death valley, a place I really want to visit and ride....the advriders are heading there end of March, which I considered...guess the fuel ranges up there are pretty long..our own little outback or sorts?..

like I was told 130 mile range (my current IF I carry extra) will make you miss some of the rides....head out 60 and turn around...

Well they do have a saying... 5 miles is a short walk; unless you are pushing a bike

Another option on group rides is to find the people with the mega-tanks, and plan on a transfusion. Strega, Fake Name and anybody with a KLR come to mind

we use, used gal oil containers with the molded in handle and just hang them off the butt bag belt. They hold up well and are made to contain petrol based liquid. You just dump it in at every opportunity you get, to get that 6lbs off your belt. I ve done many many miles that way and have carried that way during H&H races. Mind you its not the greatest thing but it is a solid option for temp solution.