Sign in to follow this  
Spyder

Lost in the GPS World

I could really use some help wtih the Garmin 2610. I am having difficulty loading maps onto it.

Ok maybe need to start at the beginning. Skip this if it boars you.

Bought a Street Pilot 2730 new. Came with everything needed to get started and I pounded away and had fun doing so. And what I found was this model wasnt what I really needed for my bike. It could not make waypoints along a track on the unit (it could be done on Mapsource later). So I bought used 2610. Came with everything including updated software and codes. The 2730 went into the wifes car and she loves it. I have a 2720 in the Truck and it works very well for that application. All the units (4) are registered with Garmin and I have software on the laptop and desktop. Although, Im wondering which software goes to what GPS now....

Now on to the 2610, liked it for the bikes and I bought a second one used, nothing came with it though. I would like to load maps on both of them for a trip to the south this spring. I should be able to download from mapsource to the 2610's but for some reason it is not compatible. 2610 use a card, unlike the 27XX's. At this point Im so frustrated and lost with what to try next. Tracks can be downloaded from GPS to software and work fine. Tracks have to be turned into routes though for moving from Computer to GPS unit. Very confused about that. Waypoints move both directions with ease.

Does anyone have experience with the 2610s?

Spyder

I should be able to download from mapsource to the 2610's but for some reason it is not compatible.

I doubt it's a compatibility issue.......you probably just need to pony up the $$ for an additional license......they only provide one unlock code with each software purchase.......go to Garmin online with the serial number of your new (used) unit.....