Sign in to follow this  
Evilhandofsand

XR650R Help

I've got a really weak spark (compared to my 450 EXC). The service guys

I've talked to say the "pulse generator?" will either work or it wont.

I've played with it for a while put it down now I'm back. Thanks for

the help with the vacume line fit right under the tank in the rubber

isolator < I'm blind. It will start and run < shortly) on ethier, The

carbs been cleaned professionaly and I talked with the guy that did it

explained to him what the situation was <when I did get it started

before I could putt on it till about 2000rpm< guess)then it starved for

fuel. Went through the carb again and all I can blame it on is the weak

spark < not the bright blue/white I'm used to. Can some one give me

idea for what to try next.

Honda who wants about 100-150 just to look at it says if it sparks at

all it will run.

If the advice is to go through the carb again I'll do it but I don't

think that's it. < But what do I know :lol:

Thanks in advance.

I would go to thumpertalk.com and do a search in the honda section. There are a lot more people on that site. If the search doesn't help, post the question. You usually get help within hours if not minutes. Good luck. Ken

Evil Hiya

Guess you have to start at the beginning....

Why did you have to have the carb gone thru?

If you suspect fuel issue. Check/Clean fuel filter, make sure you have new fuel. Check the cap vent, fuel out, air in.

If you suspect spark issue, change the plug. Ive pulled bad plugs right out of the box. Check the coil wire where it meets the plug, it has to have a good connection. Make sure when you look at the spark the plug is making, it has a good ground. I dont own a Honda so most of this is generic trouble shoooting. Make sure if you use a grounding kill switch make sure its working properly and not partially grounding out prematurely.

Hopefully someone else who knows Hondas will step in and conitue on where I left off.

Spyder

Hey, your handle is great BTW.....Makes me chuckle everytime I see it :lol:

And as Joliet says TT is a great resource.

I met a guy up the street from my girlfriend's place on a mid 90s 650L. He was stalled at the side of the road and having what sounds like to me to be similar problems. We cranked and revved his bike and tried this and that and it would start then crap out. He thought it might be bad gas and drained the fuel bowl. Oddly it started right up ran well and then he was gone. I saw him posting on 4strokes.com about his continuing trouble. He was about fed up with the bike and from all the different advice from various self-proclaimed experts. Although, someone mentioned replacing the CDI box and he did it as it was the only thing he hadn't tried. It was costly but it worked, ran like new. Money well spent in the end. Unfortunately, I can't tell you if it still runs well, I haven't heard from him since.

Thats my bit of advice for you. Those boxes should last a long time but there is always the weak one that sneaks through the factory and shi!s the bed right as the warranty runs out.

Good luck in the trouble shooting, keep us in the loop we'll try to help out.

Jon

Assuming your CDI checks out.

Here is a easy test. You mentioned carb work, so I would start there.

Run the bike like you said until it stalls, remove the plug and inspect. If it is wet electrical, if dry fuel delivery problem. at 2000 RPM sounds like fuel, but run the test.

My 2 cents

Thanks for the help guys I'm sorta new at it.

I picked the bike up cheap the previous owner's kid and buddies thought they could ride it well...... got it started put it in 1st stood it straight up and laid it over on the right (plastic and rad tank < not leaking) got it started again the next guy did the same only on the left (left tank fine just plastics and cracked the gas tank) DAD saw what happened the bike got put away.

It's an 02 with the orig tires about 80% < dad rode it so it's a brand new bike mabey 4-5 hours. Just been sitting indoors all this time. So now I get to play with it. I'm a little frustrated so I took a break and getting back to it < I get frustrated I don't work well and it costs me :ph34r: < I'm learning.

THANKS AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ps the name Evil hand of sand comes from that instance when everything is going along just fine the sands not an issue and then for seemingly no reason your on your face so we coined the phrase The EVIL HAND of SAND got you < I know stupid but if your not tired after picking your bike up you will be after some one says it and you feel so dumb you just help but laugh. < Thats what tires you out! :(