739682556_GFWWf-L.jpg

739682525_Dn7or-L.jpg

739681406_e7gi9-L.jpg

739682600_wuZXS-L.jpg

739682672_m8eDV-L.jpg

Rough Riders - Randy, Cameron, Mike, Kevin

Side Kick - Dave

what a bunch of shady looking bikers... nice pics

name the players; Randy and Kevin... who else?

I like the "let the pictures speak for themselves" approach. A picture speaks a thousand words. Sounds about right here.

Great Day of Riding with some major characters.

Mike and Kevin RODE their bikes down on the freeway in the rain and fog!

Unless they called AAA, they also rode home after social hour at the Ocotillo "Cafe"

Randy, Thanks for the eclectic route. Really deep sand in the Yuha, mixed with a fun west to east route.

North through the agriculture along canals, cross country to the train tracks,

Randy lead us south through the low ridgelines to the flats north of Plaster City

We took a break to finesse a lost bolt repair up against a bluff.

After a discussion searching for inspiration, we caught sight of the Coyote Mountains.

Remembering Spaughs Ride report, that did it and off we went in the oncoming rainshowers

Man, those are some rocky two track up there, I can't even imagine the big BMW up on that mountain!

Spaugh, sorry we did not connect. We really had no idea which direction we would travel next,.. all day.

Looks like you guys had a good time, long desert rides are the best. I ended up staying home this weekend but will try and make it out next weekend, maybe we'll see you then.

Your photo here is showing the switchbacks up to the peak with the good views. You were close, somewhere around where that pic was taken, you go right and down a hill then kinda north until you find the road that goes to the top.

739681358_xrvh3-L.jpg

Any of you Rough Riders know how Cameron is doing? What was the damage?

Spaugh,

Man, we explored three different trails trying to find the way over!

OK, so you get near the top and you have three options in close proximity.

We went left first, at the top of the first ridge we chose to go up, and never explored the sharp right travelling downward. Eventually reached a dead end in the southern direction, then backtracked to the first

junction.

Next we went to the right up the steep road in a northern direction toward the photo. Mike explored the dead end right just around the corner. 1/4 mile or so down and north we reached the canyon view dead end.

Looking across, we saw a road east down from the switchbacks. We assumed this was the way in.

Was an awesome day of riding. We met at Ocotillo at the Texaco Station about 9:15am. Headed immediately into the dirt along the railroad tracks on the South side of I-8, then trails none of us had done before through the Yuha desert. We hit some deep sand and since I know Kevin hates sound, we tried to stay up on the plateaus on the hard-pack.

In one of the soft sandwashes, Uncle Cameron on a borrowed KLR650, tipped over at about 5 or 10mph. No big deal. Later, we stop to regroup, and see Kevin and Cameron stopped about 1/2 mile back. I ride back to see what's up. Cameron says he thinks he cracked a rib when he fell, and it was hurting a lot while riding over bumps, etc. So, we took the trail for another mile or so, found a main dirt road that headed towards I-8, then some canal roads to Evan Hewes frontage road. There Cameron decided he was going to take the highway back to San Diego, even after I offered to drive him home in the truck. He said no, he'd be fine. He was carryin a 16oz. water bottle in his chest pocket, and he thinks the bottle concentrated the impact onto his rib, because water does not compress. I think if he hadn't had the water bottle there, he'd be fine. Yes, he did crack one rib.......he said no big deal.

We continued on......Me on the KTM 640, Bagstr on his awesome KTM 690, Maddog Mike on his BMW R1200GS, and Kevin on his BMW Dakar 650. More canal roads, then past the state prison, we turned in and took trails with a little cross-country (Plaster City East area) towards the railroad track dirt road, headed north, crossed through the old bombing range on a designated trail, then on parts of D38 wooped out race course, to a neat little wash that comes out at the Kiosk by the Painted Gorge / Coyote Mountain trails. From there, we explored up the mountain as Bagstr described above.

After finding all the dead ends, it was too late to go explore the north mountain with the steep switchbacks......we'll try that next time. We did a few more fun trails back to the Old Highway Cafe in Ocotillo for refreshments and food. Bagstr took off after a beer to head back for dinner with his wife.

Kevin and Mike hopped on their bikes and rode home through the cold and rain over the mountains, while I drove home warm and dry in my truck (I'm a wuss) after loading up the 640.

Great day of riding ! Forgot my camera at home, but Bagstr got some great shots.

Dave (Bagstr) and I swapped KTM's for a few minutes.........we swapped bikes at the worst possible section through the wooped out race course, so I didn't want to keep Dave off his own bike for long.....he said at least I got to feel how his bike works through the woops......that 690 sure is a nice machine !!

I'd sure like to have one, but my trusty 640 works pretty damn well, and I know the bike.

I recommend the 690 to anyone !

Left to right......Kevin, Uncle Cameron, Maddog Mike

739678856_KiVTT-M.jpg

Maddog and I, working on my 640, lost a bolt holding the instrument cluster on, so had to zip-tie it.

739680992_oYQdv-M.jpg