Sign in to follow this  
Anteak

Tire for XRL

Working on my x-mas list and need some advice for the rear tire.

Currently running an MT21 (120/90-18)

Seems a bit squirrely in soft stuff (sections of Bee Canyon) and rides rough on the street. Soo.....

I was looking at Dunlop’s 606 tire. What I would like is size recommendations for this bike (Honda XR650L).

Thought of going bigger (130) but not sure of the fitment, if it will rub.

Help a noob out

Kirby

Hemet

1997 Honda XR650L

I liked the 606 for my XR when I had it. A 110 is about the same as stock, so the 120 or 130 size is fine. I had a 140 for awhile on the L and it was great on the roads but sucked on the trails. The greater cicumference of the tire changed the gearing so much I had a bit of trouble in the tighter stuff. It's desert season so technical riding won't be much of an issue.

FWIW- the circumfernce issue Jon is referring to is not the 110/120/130... but when you put a wider tire on the narrower rim, you squeeze the tire into being taller- an 80 profile could end up being a 90

in other words, your wider tire could end up being the same contact patch, and taller. Biggest impact to me is acceleration... taller tires don't accelerate as quickly...

A 120 on the XRL is fine, just air down in the sand, to get the patch you are looking for

of course, I may not know what I am talking about

Thanks, I understand the greater circumference now. Didn't know they offered it in 140 size. I was more concerned about it hitting swingarm and the lose of power with the wider width.

Also the wider tire is great for desert, but the skinnier tire is better for turning on tight trails. So it depends on what type of dirt riding you will want to have the tire perform best at. :dirol:

When I had my XRL, I found that a D606 in the 130 size was the best all-around tire. I ran the 606 rear with an MT21 front.

I ran a Dunlop 908 on the front with my 606 rear. The 908 looks a lot like a 739 and works really well in the dirt as well as on the pavement.