boat440

Discussion On Which Type Of Halogen Front Light

Let's face it the stock headlight on my KTM is useless for night time riding.

I intend to order a TrailTech replacement stator kit to increase the charging systems capacity(for the battery, fan, lights, GPS, maybe someday grip heaters?) and convert the lighting circuit to DC.

The headlight is currently a 35W incandescent "stock" system, that has to go. I have been reviewing Halogen lighting systems.

They are:

TrailTech, X2, 70W Halogen, $79, advantages: comes with bike specific connector

Acerbis, Cyclops, 55W Halogen, $129

Acerbis, Dimension, 35W Halogen, $120

Baja Designs, Headlight, 60W Halogen, $99, advantages: can upgrade bulb to higher wattage/local in San Marcos

UFO & Polisport might have similar offerings but hard-to-find?

Any comments as to the function or durability of these above? B):lol:

Am I missing anything? :lol::)

Have you not thought about a HID system. A 35 watt HID light will probably put out the same light as a 100 watt Halogen, it is about 3 to 1.

Trailtech's X2 HID draws 70 watts and puts out the light of 210 watts of a Halogen light. They are more money, but you may be able to save the money by not needing to upgrade your stator. Just a thought.

Also check out this link to a LED light which should run on the stock stator easily. It is about as bright as a 100 watt incandescent, but only draws 10 watts and it's color is white more like an HID. It also comes with and extra 3 feet of wire so you can pop it off and use it for a work light if you have to change a flat or something.

http://www.cafehusky.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3811

I wouldn't consider a halogen at all. The difference is amazing with HID, and not at the overkill level I selected. The TrailTech company is great- they've always taken care of any warranty issues, but I've had many of them.

You want an HID.

Have you not thought about a HID system. A 35 watt HID light will probably put out the same light as a 100 watt Halogen, it is about 3 to 1.

Trailtech's X2 HID draws 70 watts and puts out the light of 210 watts of a Halogen light. They are more money, but you may be able to save the money by not needing to upgrade your stator. Just a thought.

Also check out this link to a LED light which should run on the stock stator easily. It is about as bright as a 100 watt incandescent, but only draws 10 watts and it's color is white more like an HID. It also comes with and extra 3 feet of wire so you can pop it off and use it for a work light if you have to change a flat or something.

http://www.cafehusky.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3811

Thanks Ken, Do you have the LED?

My intent is not to ride purposely at night, but more of a back-up in-case I get in late after a long ride. I have a Sicass LED for my rear light and am quite impressed with the brightness. So far the durability has been good, no issues. I will investigate the LED further.

Paul, since I might be riding at night on the road, I am concerned about the DOT legalities. The HID's are just to bright, only for off-road use. Also my intent is also to permanetly leave the light on the bike.

The LED seems like a good compromise.

The led whispers "I may not be DOT"

The HID screams "F YOU fascist PIG...try to give me a ticket!"

Actually, I'm with Paul on this...get an HID and deal with a fixit ticket IF you get one...

ultra efficient H4 osram bulb

I'm using a 60/65W german osram H4 headlight and a 40W HID helmet light. The 80W osram will blow both of these away. The osram 85/80 hyper bulbs are THE bulb, I've been meaning to order one. The advantage with HID is you get 2X-3X more light per watt, but the cost is disproportionate.

If you have a ktm 450 or 525 exc try running a 60/65W osram (important its osram H4 not a chinese knock off) and see if it will work for you. If you want more look into doing the DC mod and then getting a osram hyper H4 bulb or getting HIDs.

The LED has no lens, which is critical for it's use on the street.

Most lights are not a problem because of the quantity of their light- it's the amount of light in other's faces. An LED or HID like mine don't have fresnel lenses that direct and focus the light in the appropriate places- they just blast away.

The MR design in my Mr Bill is a little better, and the reflectors do a reasonable job, but LED's are just arrays of very small and very bright lights. I'll bet it works great off-road, and there's little doubt LEDs are the future of most lighting.